25 and older Jordan heads

I gotta say I'm more or less done with Jordans for the most part. 27 right now, and I have most of the pairs that I want from the original I-XIV with maybe only a couple exceptions. With the way they've just been cranking out releases these last few years, I've pretty much filled in most of the gaps that I had. Aside from seeing some of my absolute favorite models popping up again like the IIIs, XIs, and XIIIs in an OG colorway or a brand new colorway that I like (which is rare), I just don't really get excited anymore. Honestly speaking I'm much more excited about the new stuff coming out of Nike Basketball these days than any Retros.

Last edited:
GREAT THREAD

i turned 27 this past april and ive been going through a phase with jordans. i still have the urge to buy and keep them but some days it gets frustrating with the new generation and how its hard to get a pair you actually like. I started buying jordans my jr year in high schoool when the bred xi retroed. Wear them and still have them. my collection is not huge but i do have some gems.

My problem is that as i grow up my style has changed and to be honest i dont feel the need to wear bulky js such as the xiii and the xx and so on. I want to start wearing more suits oxfords etc but still rotate my jordans in. Being versatile is key for me. Ive lately been wanting to only wear jordans 1 -6. 7s sometimes and some above. but 1 to 4 has been the one that i always keep in rotation. I want to sell some of the other jordans i dont wear due to the fact im chasing a dream of fashion and photography. but its very difficult to let them go since they have been with me for such a long time.

I want to see the day when jordan can give me a pair of shoes for free instead of me spending my money all on them. Its funny the rich people have all the money in the world and they get shoes for free. We have to work hard then find them to attain them. but hey u cant help what you love doing.

Turning 27 in November. I'm pretty much focusing on the classic colorways and models I like, mainly the 3s and 11s. Not buying as much Jordans (or shoes in general) since they're getting expensive.

Most of my shoes now revolve around what I wear to work so I am for the less flashier, more older model retros now that look good with a button up and some dark, slim denim. I don't really ball in Jordans, but I do still buy the newer edition Kobes, mostly to play in. I think everything after the 14s are a little too modern for my taste to wear casually, along side with the Kobes and Lebrons.

If it weren't for my Roshes, I'd still be wearing my beat up Black Cement 3s. The older model, late 80s Jordans look great when they're worn and a little beat, but it's still nice to pull out a fresh pair every once in a while. The wore-out, crease shoe gives it character and pays homage to the classics.

34 here.  my love for collecting / wearing jordan's will always be there.   Been buying for a long time now and of course this shoe game has gone through MAJOR changes.  We ALL know that.   Old sneakerheads and even new sneakerheads know or heard how it use to be.   However, i am slowly and have been branching off to other kicks.   Growing up watching Michael Jordan I feel you have more of an appreciation and attachment to his sneakers.  I just don't get how young kids these days who never even saw Jordan play or weren't born yet can relate to any of the shoes that jordan even wore. By all means I'm not bashing the younger guys in the sneaker game, but I just feel in order to really appreciate the model or Jordan 1 through 14 sneaker you would had to have been born in that era growing up and watching him.  Otherwise it seems they are just getting the shoe because it's popular or because it's a fad ?   I don't know if that makes sense or not ?  but i'm sure the older guys will understand what i'm saying.  So these kids who are age 14 through 18 now a days who are so called "sneakerheads" and buy / wear only Jordans.....they have a personal connection to the shoe ?  how if they weren't even born yet or only 4 years old at the time.   That's what gets me.  When i see that age group wearing / rocking J's.  Not saying they can't , but it's just kind of funny to me.   Anyways...cool thread.   Glad to see a bunch of older sneaker enthusiasts still in the game and have a passion for Jordan and JB

34 here.  my love for collecting / wearing jordan's will always be there.   Been buying for a long time now and of course this shoe game has gone through MAJOR changes.  We ALL know that.   Old sneakerheads and even new sneakerheads know or heard how it use to be.   However, i am slowly and have been branching off to other kicks.   Growing up watching Michael Jordan I feel you have more of an appreciation and attachment to his sneakers.  I just don't get how young kids these days who never even saw Jordan play or weren't born yet can relate to any of the shoes that jordan even wore. By all means I'm not bashing the younger guys in the sneaker game, but I just feel in order to really appreciate the model or Jordan 1 through 14 sneaker you would had to have been born in that era growing up and watching him.  Otherwise it seems they are just getting the shoe because it's popular or because it's a fad ?   I don't know if that makes sense or not ?  but i'm sure the older guys will understand what i'm saying.  So these kids who are age 14 through 18 now a days who are so called "sneakerheads" and buy / wear only Jordans.....they have a personal connection to the shoe ?  how if they weren't even born yet or only 4 years old at the time.   That's what gets me.  When i see that age group wearing / rocking J's.  Not saying they can't , but it's just kind of funny to me.   Anyways...cool thread.   Glad to see a bunch of older sneaker enthusiasts still in the game and have a passion for Jordan and JB

truth. really agree with what you said. not saying they can't/shouldn't buy jordan's by any means, but that history of watching and seeing Jordan just adds a whole other element.

I used to collect AND wear but now im selln everything that I don't wear. Ill sell anything for the right price.

35 here. Really love this thread and can relate to a lot of folks in here. Now i only buy what i liked as kid and couldn't afford to get.

I'm 28 and when i stopped counting about three years ago i had 150 pairs of Jordans and maybe 75 other kicks. I had so many kicks I had to rent a storage unit for the past 5 years, I don't know if its getting older or JB starting to put out trash 90% of the time but one day I just said I can't possibly wear all these kicks so I stopped buying for the most part, I didn't sell them and now I just rotate about 15 pair between the house and storage every month and save a lot of $ by just buying the ones I need to have, now I just wear random heat and the kids try to call them fake, I wore green bean 5's this weekend and dude said they were the fresh prince 5's........

I'm 28 and when i stopped counting about three years ago i had 150 pairs of Jordans and maybe 75 other kicks. I had so many kicks I had to rent a storage unit for the past 5 years, I don't know if its getting older or JB starting to put out trash 90% of the time but one day I just said I can't possibly wear all these kicks so I stopped buying for the most part, I didn't sell them and now I just rotate about 15 pair between the house and storage every month and save a lot of $ by just buying the ones I need to have, now I just wear random heat and the kids try to call them fake, I wore green bean 5's this weekend and dude said they were the fresh prince 5's........
Gotta love the swag *** generation

I'm 31, the game has changed a lot since I started. I do remember a time when you could get Jordans on a release day and still find them in stores the following week.  I was able to order most of my jordans from eastbay without any problems. I have over 100 pairs of different shoes, mainly Jordans and other Nikes. while I will never wear them all like I should.   I can still never sell them, i have a story for all of them.... but since I have become older and have  no time to camp out . or get to a store for a raffle in time. For me I need that new comer who will sell me that pair i didnt have time to get.  But best believe I am already grooming my young one the right way

That feeling you get when your so excited you jumble all your words! That's what this post does for me. Great memories brought back. Awesome post never seen one like this before. Always had a passion for sneakers since I wore LA Gear Lights in first grade. Eventually went on to bigger and better stuff in elementary. 3rd grade Jordan playoff VIII. If I got in trouble back then my mom would ground me by not letting me wear my favorite shoes. 4th grader some black and blue Nike Forces wore by Chris Webber I believe. 5th grade I wore Nike Air Diamond Turf 2 in theRed/Gold colorway! Had Nike More Uptempos, Nike Ndestruckt.... Rodmans that tied up the side, Jordan XII playoffs are what I remember from junior high. When my buddy and fellow NT'er drekro got the 2001 Retro XI Concords the sickness took over.

Last edited:
By all means I'm not bashing the younger guys in the sneaker game, but I just feel in order to really appreciate the model or Jordan 1 through 14 sneaker you would had to have been born in that era growing up and watching him.  Otherwise it seems they are just getting the shoe because it's popular or because it's a fad ?   I don't know if that makes sense or not ?  but i'm sure the older guys will understand what i'm saying. 
i def agree with you, but the thing that made michael so great is the fact that he transcended the game.  So for his legacy and sneakers to still be relevant and even more popular than ever is carried forward by the youth of today and eventually generations to come.  My 2 year old knows who MJ is and its because im teaching her that, and im sure that will be the case for many fans of MJ and basketball in general.

But i consider myself lucky to have watched jordan during his prime, both live and on tv and there is nothing like it.  My kids and most youth, have to settle for the ultimate jordan blu ray, which isnt even close.

i def agree with you, but the thing that made michael so great is the fact that he transcended the game.  So for his legacy and sneakers to still be relevant and even more popular than ever is carried forward by the youth of today and eventually generations to come.  My 2 year old knows who MJ is and its because im teaching her that, and im sure that will be the case for many fans of MJ and basketball in general.

But i consider myself lucky to have watched jordan during his prime, both live and on tv and there is nothing like it.  My kids and most youth, have to settle for the ultimate jordan blu ray, which isnt even close.

Could not of said it better...I have wondered the same thing..

I'm 27 and my interest in buying Jordans are somewhat fading. I don't want to let go, but I have to in order to start funding my passion which is music and photography.

I only buy what I like and I usually buy my son a pair to match with me. If I stop buying for me, I won't stop buying for my son. He looks too gorgeous with his heat on.
Other than that, I wear all my shoes, but there are a few pairs that have been sitting for some time, but I will eventually break them out when the time is right.

I'm 27 and my interest in buying Jordans are somewhat fading. I don't want to let go, but I have to in order to start funding my passion which is music and photography.

I only buy what I like and I usually buy my son a pair to match with me. If I stop buying for me, I won't stop buying for my son. He looks too gorgeous with his heat on.
Other than that, I wear all my shoes, but there are a few pairs that have been sitting for some time, but I will eventually break them out when the time is right.

sounds like my story except i got a daughter

I'm 32, I had OG IV's through VII's growing up. I played ball in all of them and wore them to school some of the time, as well. I was a huge fan of MJ and pretty much all of my friends were, too. I was fortunate that my parents could hook me up with those shoes back then.

Sadly when I left for college my parents moved out of my childhood home and in the process of cleaning out decided to get rid of those pairs of shoes. Not that I could wear them now since they were like a size 7 or 8, but I really wish I had them for nostalgia purposes.

It's nice that they're still doing retros of the shoes I loved as a kid. That's mainly what keeps me around, although I've gotten in to KD's over the past few years since I watched him a lot in college and have followed his NBA career closely.

I said this in another post, but this is a great thread!  Love reading all the stories that sound so similar to my own.

I find myself getting angry every time I read the other threads, especially the fire red 3 thread.  Maybe we should have a separate forum for us older collectors LOL

Just turned 32...Had a deep collection until 2007 when I sold just about everything DS...Only kept what I wore...With those funds I got married, had a killer honeymoon, put a down payment a house, and as of may 30th of this year had child number 2 when my daughter was born...I'm lucky that I've found myself in a position to have continued buying shoes since I sold off my "collection" but now it's only what I'll wear and have a personal attachment too...

All that being said I don't see myself ever not being a "Shoe Head" especially where Jordan's are concerned...I'll buy until I'm unable to do so...In fact it's become a little bit of a tradition now for little Vegetaray and myself to have a daddy ~ son day in taking trips to the mall to get some new sneakers when he is in need of a new pair...

Just turned 32...Had a deep collection until 2007 when I sold just about everything DS...Only kept what I wore...With those funds I got married, had a killer honeymoon, put a down payment a house, and as of may 30th of this year had child number 2 when my daughter was born...I'm lucky that I've found myself in a position to have continued buying shoes since I sold off my "collection" but now it's only what I'll wear and have a personal attachment too...

All that being said I don't see myself ever not being a "Shoe Head" especially where Jordan's are concerned...I'll buy until I'm unable to do so...In fact it's become a little bit of a tradition now for little Vegetaray and myself to have a daddy ~ son day in taking trips to the mall to get some new sneakers when he is in need of a new pair...
you did all that with proceeds from a sneaker collection? a wedding? a down payment on a house? do you live in detriot or something? i heard 3 families are going for 3 thousand

I saw a kid wearing WC 88's today and it reminded me of a story for this thread.

I was 13 in the summer of '94, and one day I was just flipping through channels when I came across a shot of White/Cement IIIs on TV. 

They were actually for sale on none other than the, "Home Shopping Network" or "QVC" as it was called at the time (maybe still is) here in SoCal.

I ran into the living room and pleaded with my mom to purchase them, since I was only 9 years old when the OGs came out. 

I had seen the Jordan vs. Dominique dunk contests on an endless loop because of my father, and had always wanted a pair of IIIs since I had first laid eyes on them.

My mom kindly obliged, and I got to thinking that I should buy them bigger since I'll probably want to wear them when I was older.

At the time I was a 9.5 and I forecasted my size as an adult to be an 11.  (under no premise whatsoever...
laugh.gif
)

I remember thinking, "I need to hurry up and decide on a size, these are going to sell out soon!"

Can't believe the anxiety to purchase was there even back then!

I played ball in them during my Jr. and Sr. yrs of high school, all the while getting comments like, "I can't believe you're playing in those." (they were also about a size too big, I had to wear 2 pairs of socks...)

Anyhow, this thread needs pics, so here's what my "Home Shopping Network WC 3's 
laugh.gif
" look like now
happy.gif
:
BTW, I'm 34.  Noted in my first post in this thread. I'm also a size 11
wink.gif
 in all Retro 3's.

EDIT:  I came to find out earlier this year that these HSN WC 3's were part of Nike's first attempt at a Jordan Retro.   1's, 2s, and 3s and heard it failed miserably...go figure.

Back
Top Bottom