2nd Speeding Ticket within 18 Months (CHP) Advice?

Okay so here is the deal, I am 30 and have only had 2 speeding tickets, never anything else, one was about 18 months ago and I did traffic school so it didn't go on my record, this one was doing 40 in a 25 coming out of my housing track.

My question is they won't let me do traffic school again because it's so close right? it was CHP so I don't think it's worth fighting as I am sure I'd loose, any advice? or am I pretty such just screwed

I always recommend going to court if you are able to to contest the ticket. The office may not show up, may have not calibrated their radar gun or if you can show that your speedometer was not working correctly you can get off. You also might be allowed to take another driving class or volunteer yourself for community service to avoid having the ticket hit your record.

If you know a mechanic or someone credible who can state that your speedometer was malfunctioning and that you recently have had it repaired, you would be golden.

I wouldn't just stand by and pay the fine and let it be.

Thanks Bro, thing is im my car just got bigger wheels so it has not been calibrated yet and because I always look at the digital gauge my change oil light was on and when that is on you cant see the speed unless you look as the normal needle and not the digital

Hey Rob,

Long time no talk. I'm about to PM you my friend's contact who is an attorney. He's dealt with this kinda stuff before.

Usually in California, they say you aren't allowed to take traffic school more than once within the 18 month period but the last time I went to court, the judge offered me 2nd level traffic school which I guess is a bit more intense but it does wipe the point off your record. Best thing would be for you to contest it and the cop to not show up but if you do want it off your record, you can try requesting the 2nd level traffic school.

Chances are the judge won't allow you to complete traffic school again.

Go to court.
Plead "no contest".
The judge will assign you another court date. This time the officer must be present too.
At the second court date, if the officer doesn't show up, you'll be off the hook.
If the officer does show up, the judge will ask you once again if you'd like to proceed or just pay for the ticket - in which case, you should just pay it.

i'm in a similar situation. went to cali early this month for vacation.

chp got me going 93 on the i-5. it was a steep downhill and i didn't even realize my speed jump from 75.

he tells me i need to be applying the brakes on this road because it is hilly.

i'm from ny, so i don't even know how to go about fighting it. might just end up paying...

Back
Top Bottom