30 for 30 - "Once Brothers" (Divac & Petrovic) 10/12 @ 8pm EST on ESPN

It was one of the best 30 for 30 by far. 'Two Escobars' and this was so on point. 
So heavy, I couldn't help myself from choking up by the end and I have whole new respect for Vlade Divac now

I can only imagine how hard for Vlade to go back to Croatia now and still be haunted by not only loss of his good friend but the misunderstanding between Croatians and him. 

I mean... Croatian people are still mad at him although I can understand why but I was totally surprised when a Croatian dude called him 'chetnik' on camera. 

I was too young to understand the civil war between Yugoslavia and Croatia but I always loved Drazen and Toni Kukoc. 

Drazen's game was so 
pimp.gif
, totally forgot about him dropping 40 on MJ. That was 
eek.gif

Great documentary, it was so emotional. RIP Drazen. 

i really hate how espn only plays these things once....like #%+ bro you rather play poker all night

Incredible, I have a new found respect for Vlade on and off the court...by far my favorite along with the Two Escobars and the Reggie Miller one.

I hope this documentary will open peoples' eyes (or at least inform the youngins') to the fearless talent that was Drazen Petrovic. Dude was really before his time. Could have been the greatest Euro ever.

I'm truly glad that I recorded that show in a DVR. Petrovic was a beast. I've always liked Vlade Divac. I hoped he and his King teammates made the NBA Finals. 

Finally watching it right now.....It's a shame what war can do and how nationalistic pride can tear apart friendships.

like said before, One of the best 30 for 30...

Vlade seemed like a good guy, very thorough documentary.

Probably one of the best documentaries I have ever seen. I had to work out but couldn't turn it off even though I had it on my dvr.  Vlade has gain my respect both as a player and a human being.  Toni still looks like he holds a grudge against Vlade.  Those clips of Petro lighting it up vs MJ was 
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
.  IWhat a tragic tale about the cost of war and friendship.  I highly recommend this show to any basketball fan.  

Just finished watching it thanks to that youtube link. Absolutely amazing. 

i felt bad for Vlade when he walked in the middle of Zagreb and everyone looked at him like a villain.  You can tell there's a sadness in Vlade's eyes.  
That scene with him and Magic talking about Drazen's situation in Portland, even Magic showed a genuine concern on Drazen's playing time. 

Great documentary.  Vlade in a Laker uniform brought back a lot of childhood memories.  

I'm in the middle of it right now. This is a really really really good documentary so far.

Originally Posted by dako akong otin

That scene with him and Magic talking about Drazen's situation in Portland, even Magic showed a genuine concern on Drazen's playing time. 
That was an incredible scene. It's weird to see that kind of interaction between NBA players. I'm sure they talk about situations other players are in, but to see the interaction on that level, and the genuine concern in Magic's tone, was really cool.

I wonder how Vlade's relationship is with Toni and Dino. I was kinda hoping to see them all together talking about it.

brought back great memories for me of the Lake Show pre-Shaq Laker teams

very touching story. Great job ESPN

Mixed emotions about this one, but none that have to do with the quality of the piece or the actual story itself. It was masterfully done, extremely compelling and it even broadened my knowledge on the general history of our society. Basketball's my favorite sport and I always admired Vlade and Drazen as players. 
  But that was seriously one of the saddest things I've ever experienced, ever. The last scene with Vlade talking to Drazen at his grave and ultimately leaving the picture of the 2 embracing left some tears running down my face, but when it faded to black and the credits started rolling, I started thinking "Why did I watch that?".  To me, it was that sad. It's the same reason why I don't see the point in watching films like "Saving Private Ryan" or "The English Patient". Yeah, they're just actors on a set, but if you're not suspending disbelief, what's the point? 

The footage of Petrovic's funeral was one of the most emotionally depressing, gut wrenching sequence of events that I could ever envision. There's seeing legitimate footage of war, horrific deaths and abandoned bodies on the battlefield, and then there's this. There's no reason to argue which is more affecting, because there is no right answer. But this got me. Seeing a 100,000 people gather around a casket being carried by Drazen's friends and teammates, those same pallbearers sobbing uncontrollably as they carried the casket, and those men still sobbing as Petrovic's mother nearly fainted at the podium . . 

I can safely say that I could have done without seeing that footage. It's good for these stories to be told, because the story wasn't really about Drazen dying, it was about a seemingly unbreakable friendship that ended because of war, and anytime the horrors of war can be directly exposed to people in a way that could potentially positively influence them in the future, it's beneficial. But I, personally, found no good in seeing this, and that's only me. When I think about war, disease, hunger, and death in itself, in my head I envision the worst possible. Having these types of events directly exposed to me don't change my perspective or make me do any more or less, they just make me feel like a darker person. 

Still though, excellent doc, and on a lighter note : Vlade  - Umm, I know you'd like to think that a reunited Yugoslavia could have beat the Dream Team in '92, but it wasn't happening. You only beat the amateurs the U.S. had playing by 10 points at worlds 2 years before. The '08 U.S. olympic team would beat the Dream Team ONCE if they played 12 times, but that's the only chance I'm giving anyone. 

Back
Top Bottom