3D TV wih no glases=copped. VOL....Im glad I've waited.

[h1]Toshiba to Show No-glasses 3D TV at CES[/h1]
By Martyn Williams, IDG News   Dec 20, 2010 7:37 am

Toshiba will show its no-glasses 3Dtelevision for the first time outside of Japan in January at theInternational Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas.

Unlikeother 3D televisions that require viewers wear a pair of glasses,Toshiba's TVs achieve the illusion of depth thanks to a thin sheet ofsmall lenses in front of the display. The lenses split light from thescreen to one of nine points in front of the TV. If the viewer sits inone of these sweet spots they see the 3D illusion.

194622-panasonic_3dtv_fish_188.jpg
The TV was first unveiled at October's Ceatec show in Japan and drew long lines from people eager to see it. (See video of the Ceatec launch on YouTube.)

"Ithas been three months, I think we should show [the TVs] with bettertechnology," said Masaaki Oosumi, president of Toshiba's digital medianetwork unit. He was speaking to a small group of reporters late Fridayat a Toshiba event.

At Ceatec Toshiba showed two models, a12-inch and a 20-inch television. At the time, Oosumi recognized theneed for larger screen sizes for markets outside of Japan and said theU.S. market demands screens of around 40-inches and larger.

Bothmodels are due on sale in Japan before the end of the month. The TVswill cost around ¥120,000 (US$1,430) and ¥240,000 respectively.

Oosumididn't provide any more details about Toshiba's CES plans, but he didconfirm the company would be working on making larger screens in 2011.

"Next year is the key year to extend development of the technology and extend the screen size," said Oosumi.

The International Consumer Electronics Show runs from Jan. 6 to 9 at the Las Vegas Convention Center.

Martyn Williams covers Japan and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Follow Martyn on Twitter at @martyn_williams. Martyn's e-mail address is [email protected]

pimp.gif

[h1]Toshiba to Show No-glasses 3D TV at CES[/h1]
By Martyn Williams, IDG News   Dec 20, 2010 7:37 am

Toshiba will show its no-glasses 3Dtelevision for the first time outside of Japan in January at theInternational Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas.

Unlikeother 3D televisions that require viewers wear a pair of glasses,Toshiba's TVs achieve the illusion of depth thanks to a thin sheet ofsmall lenses in front of the display. The lenses split light from thescreen to one of nine points in front of the TV. If the viewer sits inone of these sweet spots they see the 3D illusion.

194622-panasonic_3dtv_fish_188.jpg
The TV was first unveiled at October's Ceatec show in Japan and drew long lines from people eager to see it. (See video of the Ceatec launch on YouTube.)

"Ithas been three months, I think we should show [the TVs] with bettertechnology," said Masaaki Oosumi, president of Toshiba's digital medianetwork unit. He was speaking to a small group of reporters late Fridayat a Toshiba event.

At Ceatec Toshiba showed two models, a12-inch and a 20-inch television. At the time, Oosumi recognized theneed for larger screen sizes for markets outside of Japan and said theU.S. market demands screens of around 40-inches and larger.

Bothmodels are due on sale in Japan before the end of the month. The TVswill cost around ¥120,000 (US$1,430) and ¥240,000 respectively.

Oosumididn't provide any more details about Toshiba's CES plans, but he didconfirm the company would be working on making larger screens in 2011.

"Next year is the key year to extend development of the technology and extend the screen size," said Oosumi.

The International Consumer Electronics Show runs from Jan. 6 to 9 at the Las Vegas Convention Center.

Martyn Williams covers Japan and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Follow Martyn on Twitter at @martyn_williams. Martyn's e-mail address is [email protected]

pimp.gif

They had this last year at CES but the viewing angle was crap and there was a film over the TV that darkened it.

I'll be at CES in a few weeks and will be sure to check this out and report back. If it's anything like the Nintendo 3DS it should be good.

They had this last year at CES but the viewing angle was crap and there was a film over the TV that darkened it.

I'll be at CES in a few weeks and will be sure to check this out and report back. If it's anything like the Nintendo 3DS it should be good.

now I just gotta wait a little longer for that 3D TV where every spot is a "sweet spot." 
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

now I just gotta wait a little longer for that 3D TV where every spot is a "sweet spot." 
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom