4 Americans kidnapped in Mexico. 2 found dead.

I’m confused…

They went to Mexico for medical procedure?

Is there something I’m missing?

Not mathin.

A lot of females travel to Spanish speaking countries to get cosmetic procedures. BBL, Tummy tucks etc. Likely due to lack of insurance and cheaper costs. She was traveling there to get a tummy tuck. They’re all black and we’re mistaken for hatian drug smugglers. I’m surprised they didn’t kill them all to be honest. I’m terrified of the cartel. So you’ll never catch me venturing off in places like that.

Tummy tucks are dirt cheap in Mexico.

They got caught in the middle of a cartel gang shootout, they were also mistaken for Haitian dug smugglers.

After the shootout they got taken away.

2 died, 2 survived, all 4 were found in an outhouse guarded by a cartel member.

The town where they were kidnapped is literally right across the border.

Definitely not worth the risk. Especially for cosmetic surgery. RIP

The border towns are super active with cartels competing for points of entry.

Driving across the border with US plates is a mistake, but from what was written these folks had the bad luck of driving into a confrontation between 2 cartels.

My wife’s folks live about an hour west right by the border and they cut way back on crossing for anything. Said it has gotten bad. They only cross for dental work these days and head straight to the clinic then back asap.

For contrast, one of my best friends grew up in Brownsville and they used to chill in Matamoros all the time (lower drinking age).

I should highlight everybody that I know that crosses or used to cross regularly are first generation Mexicans and are all fluent (English is their second language).

From what i read it was a wrong place, wrong time incident. RIP to the victims.

My dentist is in Nogales, Mexico I go a few times a year, it’s walking distance from the border. Going for cosmetic procedures is it uncommon

RIP to the victims

medical procedures are cheap overseas.
i know people that go to thailand and get cosmetic dental work done. stay at a nice hotel by the beach and get work done for cheaper than what it would cost in the states

From what i read it was a wrong place, wrong time incident. RIP to the victims.
this. think another bystander not with them was hit during the shootout
the state they were passing through has heavy cartel presence

Their first mistake was crossing in a border town known to have a very active cartel presence. This is one of the dumbest ways to enter Mexico. There are entries that aren’t as active and much safer.

Not trying to throw shade on the victims, but folks gotta realize you can’t just go anywhere and expect safety.

I really hate that this will feed into the “Mexico is scary and unsafe” trope, when you statistically have a better chance of getting randomly shot and killed here in the States. :smh: :smh:

I haven’t visited my Mexican family in over 20 years now. My mom wants to go but there have been some sketchy moments even in that small town she’s from. Had dudes calling demanding money but the fam never gave in and just kept their doors closed. It’s a ghost town after 7pm and parties are much smaller due to other “gangs” showing up to start some ****.

RIP to the victims.

Mexico could be so beautiful man, I hate that the cartels are pretty much running it now.

I really wanna hit Acapulco but I know it ain't worth the risk. I'm kinda wondering if I'll ever be able to see it in this lifetime.

^ you can go to Acapulco boss. Is there higher crime there compared to other Mexican beach destinations? Absolutely. But in general as long as you mind your business, don’t engage in any illegal activity and use the same street smarts you’d use in any other new destination, you’ll be fine.

Wrong place, wrong time stuff like this story happens, unfortunately. But what are the odds? Think of all the tourists that go to Mexico every year. If there was some mass slaughter of tourists nobody would step foot in Mexico. And if anything, you’d be the victim of a petty crime instead of kidnapping, murder, etc.

I’m biased b/c I’m a huge proponent of Mexico after spending a lot of time there. But the way the U.S. media paints it is just sad to me. Violence exists there as it does here, but we’re made to believe that as soon as you step foot in Mexico you’re gonna be a victim of a crime. It just isn’t true for 99.9% of people. You can go to Mexico and be okay! I’ve been all over the world and the people there are the kindest, most selfless and loving folks I’ve encountered. Please don’t let the cartels paint the entire country in a bad light.

Back
Top Bottom