40 Dream/Sleep Facts Vol. 3 Hunna Inception Levels

Copy and paste from here

http://www.lifeslittlemysteries.com/2757-limits-human-survival.html

How long can we stay awake?

Air Force pilots have been known to become so delirious after three or four days of sleep deprivation that they crash their planes (having fallen asleep). Even a single all-nighter impairs driving abilities as much as being drunk. The absolute longest anyone has voluntarily stayed awake before nodding off is 264 hours (about 11 days) — a record set by 17-year-old Randy Gardner for a high-school science fair project in 1965. Before falling asleep on day 11, he was essentially a vegetable with its eyes open. [Top 10 Spooky Sleep Disorders]

But at what point would he have died?

In June, a 26-year-old Chinese man reportedly died 11 days into a sleepless attempt to watch every game of the European Cup. But he was also drinking alcohol and smoking throughout, making it difficult to ascertain his cause of death. No human has ever definitively died from lack of sleep alone, and for obvious ethical reasons, scientists can't find the breaking point in the lab.

Rat sleep deprivation experiment.
CREDIT: Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 2.0 Generic | Jean-Etienne Poirrier
View full size image
They've done it with rats, however. In 1999, sleep researchers at the University of Chicago put rats on a rotating disc positioned over a pool of water, and continuously recorded the rats' brainwaves with a computer program that could recognize the onset of sleep. When the rats nodded off, the disc was suddenly rotated to keep them awake by bumping them against the wall and threatening to knock them into the water. The rats consistently died after two weeks of this misery. Before perishing, the rodents showed symptoms of hypermetabolism, a condition in which the body's resting metabolic rate speeds up so much that it burns excessive calories even while completely still. Hypermetabolism has been tied to lack of sleep. [The 6 Craziest Animal Experiments]

Why would AF pilots, of all people, go 3-4 days of sleeplessness? 

I get cranky when im on 24 hours with no sleep no idea how that dude went 11 days :x

Yeah I can easily see that becoming a good low budget movie

And it does sound like fiction. But honestly they did some wild experiments. So did the Germans. It's not out of the realm of possibility that they locked up some prisoners and wouldn't let them sleep by pumping experimental gas into the chamber

So the specifics are probably not close to true but the experiment easily could have happened. And it easily could have ended with self mutilation and violence.

Off topic, but the Russian experiment story reminds me of the "prisoner and guard" experiment, which also resulted in a movie with Adrian Brody. Looked interesting but haven't peeped it yet.

Off topic, but the Russian experiment story reminds me of the "prisoner and guard" experiment, which also resulted in a movie with Adrian Brody. Looked interesting but haven't peeped it yet.
whats the name of the movie? I've heard of the 'prisoner/guard' thing, didn't know they made a movie tho

EDIT: The Experiment 

Last edited by a moderator:
i would imagine trying to keep yourself awake that long would be like trying to hold your breath.

you eventually pass out and start breathing again.

wouldn't one get so tired after trying to stay awake for that long that they just fall asleep? 

The stanford prison experiment. Now that one is definitley legit.

Not sure of the movie. But YouTube it there is actual footage. Watched it in a class in college. Interesting. Not nearly as crazy as the cannibal story.

It's amazing how much the ethics have changed. You can't get away with doing much now.

Last edited:
i would imagine trying to keep yourself awake that long would be like trying to hold your breath.
you eventually pass out and start breathing again.

wouldn't one get so tired after trying to stay awake for that long that they just fall asleep? 

I see what you're saying, but there is a slight physiological difference. Sleep is triggered by a chemical pathway as a result of mental/physical fatigue. If you can take away the pathway, or individual components, you won't be able to fall asleep, regardless of stimuli.

im a deep sleeper
i love when my room is cold
and ive been told i snore alot

no dreams for me :lol:

Kinda interesting facts

I remember staying up 24 hour trying to fix m sleep schedule, idn't wake up tile about 2pm the next day but I could've went longer if I had activities to do during the day.

im a deep sleeper

lol me too, but I've been told I talk in my sleep along with everything else

Last edited:
Literally have never remember a dreamed. Lucid dreaming is the goal though. I've been taking melatonin recently but it hasn't helped one bit.

Dreams are crazy. They should be one of the wonders of the world honestly 
pimp.gif

last time i had sleep paralysis the demon was licking my cheek. and on semi choke hold. i was literrally preparing my angus for balls and penetration so i tried to wake myself up real quick cause i didnt want to feel anything. i didnt know if it was a female or male but i didnt want to wait, cause when its a dream, anything goes. if you just think of it, its gonna happen lmao. pause to the whole story.

I love dreaming, helps with exploring the outer boundaries of reality. Pretty crazy stuff, if only there was a way I can have it happen every night..

last time i had sleep paralysis the demon was licking my cheek. and on semi choke hold. i was literrally preparing my angus for balls and penetration so i tried to wake myself up real quick cause i didnt want to feel anything. i didnt know if it was a female or male but i didnt want to wait, cause when its a dream, anything goes. if you just think of it, its gonna happen lmao. pause to the whole story.

View media item 197727

Last edited:
Kinda interesting facts

I remember staying up 24 hour trying to fix m sleep schedule, idn't wake up tile about 2pm the next day but I could've went longer if I had activities to do during the day.

im a deep sleeper

lol me too, but I've been told I talk in my sleep along with everything else

BRUH I ALWAYS GET TOLD I TALK IN MY SLEEP LOL

U ARE ME MAN

one time i was sleeping and my girl told me i was singing rude boy by rihanna i was like whaat :rofl:

Last edited:
When your dreams start messing with your reality.
mean.gif

Idk about that list, but sometimes I have dreams doing mundane things (washing hands, pumping gas, eating) and then I realize that I really didnt do those things and it was a dream.
alien.gif

When your dreams start messing with your reality. :smh:

Idk about that list, but sometimes I have dreams doing mundane things (washing hands, pumping gas, eating) and then I realize that I really didnt do those things and it was a dream. 0]

Bruh, are you sure you aren't suffering from psychosis?

Recently I had a dream this ugly chick I used to work with was doming me up... very weird to say the least..

I hate it when I have a dream that I'm doing a task I know I need to do when I wake up, so when I do wake up I think I've done this task but I really haven't. This happened earlier this semester with a term paper I had to do.

I always see celebrities in my dreams. Hopefully I can take an extended break from smoking and dream more regularly. Ive posted that same statement like 7 times on nt already lol

Back
Top Bottom