48÷2(9+3) = ???

Originally Posted by inspectah derek

The problem is written on a single line. The linear nature of the notation of the problem, with the lack of additional brackets and parenthesis makes everyone follow the fundamental order of operations. The grouping of 2(9+3) is an ASSUMPTION. Can you get sources where the notations for division ÷ and / are inequivalent? Where  Ã· means  48 / [2(9+3)]  and / means  (48÷2) / (9+3) ?

And where implied multiplication, 2(9+3), holds precedence over explicit multiplication and division in the order of operations, * and ÷? Other than from the purplemath lady, she is just one person who holds that opinion. Even she says this assumption is questionable. e.g: "(And please do not send me an e-mail either asking for or else proffering a definitive verdict on this issue. As far as I know, there is no such final verdict. And telling me to do this your way will not solve the issue!)". In fact, everyone questions the validity of this assumption. I don't understand why you would follow a questioned assumption as opposed to concrete, fundamental rules of the order of operations.

For those arguing that you must use the distribution property, then you must correctly distribute which is

48 ÷ 2( 9 + 3)

= 48 ÷ ( 18 + 6)

= 48÷18 + 48 ÷ 6

= 2.66 + 8

= 10.66

Yes? No.

double_presidential_facepalm.jpg

Originally Posted by kingcrux31

Originally Posted by usainboltisfast

Originally Posted by balloonoboy

After you add what's in the parenthesis, there is still a parenthesis though.
laugh.gif

You have to get rid of the parenthesis before moving on.
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

So, what you gonna do? 48/2x12? That is not the same as 48/2(12).

All you dudes asking your professors, ask them why the parenthesis remains when the whole point of P is to take care of the parenthesis.

Now if you had a problem that read 48/2x(9+3)...it would be easy to get rid of the parenthetical. Just add what's inside. There is no coefficient (greater than 1) attached to it. The problem at hand, there is.
There is actually an implied/mostly invisible parenthesis around any terms thats why they are "terms". so the problem shoud turn into (48)/(2)*(12)
No it shouldn't because AGAIN, w[color= rgb(255, 255, 255)]hat you fail and refuse  to understand is that 2 is the common factor of 18 and 6 (also 3), hence 2(9+3). If you choose 3 as the common factor it will be like this 3(6+2). Therefore the number next to the parenthesis must be resolved firs[/color][color= rgb(255, 255, 255)]t before you proceed with the rest of the problem. [/color]
So by whatever theorem you have developed x(x+3)^2 would have a different result than x*(x+3)^2 right because the x is somehow attached? For those saying that the 2(9+3) is factoring out the 2 from (18+6) you are incorrect.. If that were the case then the term would be 48/(2(9+3)). Look at it from algebraic terms ex. x/(2x+6). When you factor out you are essentially multiplying by (2/2) which would result in 2*(x+3). Yes, that is a multiplication symbol because distributing terms is indeed multiplication. The term would then be x/(2*(x+3)). The parenthesis around the entire term is the only way it remains in the denominator. otherwise the equation is screwed and incorrect. 

Originally Posted by balloonoboy

After you add what's in the parenthesis, there is still a parenthesis though.
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

So, what you gonna do? 48/2x12? That is not the same as 48/2(12).

All you dudes asking your professors, ask them why the parenthesis remains when the whole point of P is to take care of the parenthesis.

Now if you had a problem that read 48/2x(9+3)...it would be easy to get rid of the parenthetical. Just add what's inside. There is no coefficient (greater than 1) attached to it. The problem at hand, there is.
There is actually an implied/mostly invisible parenthesis around any terms thats why they are "terms". so the problem shoud turn into (48)/(2)*(12)
No it shouldn't because AGAIN, w[color= rgb(255, 255, 255)]hat you fail and refuse  to understand is that 2 is the common factor of 18 and 6 (also 3), hence 2(9+3). If you choose 3 as the common factor it will be like this 3(6+2). Therefore the number next to the parenthesis must be resolved firs[/color][color= rgb(255, 255, 255)]t before you proceed with the rest of the problem. [/color]
So by whatever theorem you have developed x(x+3)^2 would have a different result than x*(x+3)^2 right because the x is somehow attached? For those saying that the 2(9+3) is factoring out the 2 from (18+6) you are incorrect.. If that were the case then the term would be 48/(2(9+3)). Look at it from algebraic terms ex. x/(2x+6). When you factor out you are essentially multiplying by (2/2) which would result in 2*(x+3). Yes, that is a multiplication symbol because distributing terms is indeed multiplication. The term would then be x/(2*(x+3)). The parenthesis around the entire term is the only way it remains in the denominator. otherwise the equation is screwed and incorrect. 

The problem is written on a single line. The linear nature of the notation of the problem, with the lack of additional brackets and parenthesis makes everyone follow the fundamental order of operations. The grouping of 2(9+3) is an ASSUMPTION. Can you get sources where the notations for division ÷ and / are inequivalent? Where  Ã· means  48 / [2(9+3)]  and / means  (48÷2) / (9+3) ?

And where implied multiplication, 2(9+3), holds precedence over explicit multiplication and division in the order of operations, * and ÷? Other than from the purplemath lady, she is just one person who holds that opinion. Even she says this assumption is questionable. e.g: "(And please do not send me an e-mail either asking for or else proffering a definitive verdict on this issue. As far as I know, there is no such final verdict. And telling me to do this your way will not solve the issue!)". In fact, everyone questions the validity of this assumption. I don't understand why you would follow a questioned assumption as opposed to concrete, fundamental rules of the order of operations.

For those arguing that you must use the distribution property, then you must correctly distribute which is

48 ÷ 2( 9 + 3)

= 48 ÷ ( 18 + 6)

= 48÷18 + 48 ÷ 6

= 2.66 + 8

= 10.66

Yes? No.
Should of just saved yourself and just joined either the 2 or 288 team.

48 ÷ 2( 9 + 3)

= 48 ÷ ( 18 + 6)

= 48÷18 + 48 ÷ 6

= 2.66 + 8

= 10.66

Yes? No.

Originally Posted by Millzhouse719

48 ÷ 2( 9 + 3)

= 48 ÷ ( 18 + 6)

= 48÷18 + 48 ÷ 6

= 2.66 + 8

= 10.66

Yes? No.
Word... @## was you thinkin homie?

Originally Posted by Millzhouse719

48 ÷ 2( 9 + 3)

= 48 ÷ ( 18 + 6)

= 48÷18 + 48 ÷ 6

= 2.66 + 8

= 10.66

Yes? No.
Word... @## was you thinkin homie?

Originally Posted by 36hypno

When did you ever see a problem written as a÷*b(c+d)? or a*÷b(c+d)
[font=arial, sans-serif]
[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]NEVER.[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]
[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]You can only divide OR multiply.[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]
[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]
[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif][/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]
[/font]

Originally Posted by 36hypno

When did you ever see a problem written as a÷*b(c+d)? or a*÷b(c+d)
[font=arial, sans-serif]
[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]NEVER.[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]
[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]You can only divide OR multiply.[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]
[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]
[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif][/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]
[/font]

This is useless. For the people who continue to say the answer is 2, I really don't know how you guys got through middle school. This kind of stuff is very basic; all you 2 sayers are just making it harder for yourselves. If you guys ask your college math professors or high school teachers, I'm sure 99% of them will say the answer is 288. But yeah, continue to believe in whatever theories that "float your boat." There's no good in going back and forth when one's opinions are already set in stone.

This is useless. For the people who continue to say the answer is 2, I really don't know how you guys got through middle school. This kind of stuff is very basic; all you 2 sayers are just making it harder for yourselves. If you guys ask your college math professors or high school teachers, I'm sure 99% of them will say the answer is 288. But yeah, continue to believe in whatever theories that "float your boat." There's no good in going back and forth when one's opinions are already set in stone.

Back
Top Bottom