48÷2(9+3) = ???

And UncleTomCruze, you've said multiple times in the thread the answer can be 2, 8.6(repeating), or 288.

Your argument for choosing 288 over the other two is because you said using distribution yields two possible answers, whereas sttict PEMDAS yields only 288.

But you do agree that there are a possibility of three answers, but you still champion 288. That's a $$%!% move. Stand by your word and say that the answer is undefinable.

I don't know why no one called your !%! out on that earlier. Pitiful.

Originally Posted by balloonoboy

Why are dudes multiplying x by both sides if we are solving for x?!!!1

Why move the x around if it's going to be on one side of the equation when all is said and done?

Because man you want to get the x by itself.
The problem is written like this: 48/x * (9+3) = 288

So, I assume you know the basics of algebra, you would multiply both sides by x to cancel out the one on the left side and get x by itself on the right side. Understandable? I think so.

Now you are left with 48 * (9+3) = 288x

Do the multiplication you get 576 = 288x

X=2

Even ask BC2310, he'll check the answer for you on Wolfram Alpha and tell you that X=2.

Why move the x around if it's going to be on one side of the equation when all is said and done?

So, I assume you know the basics of algebra, you would multiply both sides by x to cancel out the one on the left side and get x by itself on the right side. Understandable? I think so.

X=2

Even ask BC2310, he'll check the answer for you on Wolfram Alpha and tell you that X=2.

Originally Posted by do work son

Originally Posted by usainboltisfast

excuse my piss poor example
laugh.gif

the point is:

if you have 48÷x(9+3)= 288
you have to multiply x(9+3) by both sides because it is one complete term. once you do that, you are left with
48/1 which just equals 48, so the division is gone from the problem
48= 288(12x)
multiply the 288 and 12x to get 3456x
48= 3456x
divide both sides by 3456
48÷3456=x
You are forgetting to simplifying 9+3 first. Once you do that it becomes x(12). Like I said how can you say to multiply x by 12 instead for dividing 48 into x?

because there isn't a multiplication sign separating the x and (9+3), making it one term. if it said 48÷ x * (12) then you would only multiply x by both sides, but as it stands, on one said you have 48 over x(12) or when simplified, 12x. now that you have 48 over 12x you multiply both sides by 12x 
There is no source that will vouch with what your saying though. You are basically saying 2(12) is (2(12)). PARENTHESIS is the only thing that can override order normal order of operation. You are saying that multiplication by juxtaposition is stronger than normal multiplication. There has only been 1 source on the ENTIRE internet to say that is true but they said they arent even sure and dont even ask them about it. The rest of the sources I have seen have put division over multiplication by juxtaposition.

excuse my piss poor example
laugh.gif

the point is:

if you have 48÷x(9+3)= 288
you have to multiply x(9+3) by both sides because it is one complete term. once you do that, you are left with
48/1 which just equals 48, so the division is gone from the problem
48= 288(12x)
multiply the 288 and 12x to get 3456x
48= 3456x
divide both sides by 3456
48÷3456=x
You are forgetting to simplifying 9+3 first. Once you do that it becomes x(12). Like I said how can you say to multiply x by 12 instead for dividing 48 into x?

because there isn't a multiplication sign separating the x and (9+3), making it one term. if it said 48÷ x * (12) then you would only multiply x by both sides, but as it stands, on one said you have 48 over x(12) or when simplified, 12x. now that you have 48 over 12x you multiply both sides by 12x 
There is no source that will vouch with what your saying though. You are basically saying 2(12) is (2(12)). PARENTHESIS is the only thing that can override order normal order of operation. You are saying that multiplication by juxtaposition is stronger than normal multiplication. There has only been 1 source on the ENTIRE internet to say that is true but they said they arent even sure and dont even ask them about it. The rest of the sources I have seen have put division over multiplication by juxtaposition.

Originally Posted by durty pancakes

For those of you so adamant about the answer 2, PLEASE INPUT THE EQUATION INTO YOUR CALCULATOR AND SHOW US THAT IT EQUALS 2. THEN POST THE PICTURE HERE SHOWING [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]48÷2(9+3) = 2 ON YOUR CALCULATOR[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/font]

[/font]

WE ARE WAITING (ESPECIALLY FOR YOU KRUX).

I think it's equally amazing, aside from the 2 and 288 argument, is how ya'll dudes not hit the 50 post limit. You dudes going ham. It's like a car crash. I can't help but watch 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Durden7

This thread has gone from funny to pathetic.

Im saying, at first it was a thread full of lulz, whether one side was right or not. 
But now its like damn, these fools are still going back and forth?

If its 288, then damn, its 288. If by some chance its 2, then hey, thats what it is. But its the same people in here now going at each others neck over a 5th grade equation. 

Its beyond obvious that we were all taught different ways, some of us were taught one way, and believe its right because thats how we were taught coming up and may have gotten every test correct with that method. 

But damn, its time to give this debate up. This will be a thousand page thread if it keeps going at this rate. 

I think it's equally amazing, aside from the 2 and 288 argument, is how ya'll dudes not hit the 50 post limit. You dudes going ham. It's like a car crash. I can't help but watch 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Durden7

This thread has gone from funny to pathetic.

Im saying, at first it was a thread full of lulz, whether one side was right or not. 
But now its like damn, these fools are still going back and forth?

If its 288, then damn, its 288. If by some chance its 2, then hey, thats what it is. But its the same people in here now going at each others neck over a 5th grade equation. 

Its beyond obvious that we were all taught different ways, some of us were taught one way, and believe its right because thats how we were taught coming up and may have gotten every test correct with that method. 

But damn, its time to give this debate up. This will be a thousand page thread if it keeps going at this rate. 

Originally Posted by durty pancakes

For those of you so adamant about the answer 2, PLEASE INPUT THE EQUATION INTO YOUR CALCULATOR AND SHOW US THAT IT EQUALS 2. THEN POST THE PICTURE HERE SHOWING [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]48÷2(9+3) = 2 ON YOUR CALCULATOR[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/font]
[/font]

[/font]

WE ARE WAITING (ESPECIALLY FOR YOU KRUX).

Originally Posted by CertifiedSW

X=2

that isn't how the problem is written though. you just implied that multiplication sign and brought it into the problem. don't bring any extra signs into the problem and solve it as is.

48÷x(9+3) reads 48 over x(9+3). x(9+3) then becomes 12x
so now we have  48÷12x=288.

multiply both sides by 12x, and then you get 48= 3456x
divide both sides by 3456 and x=/=2

X=2

that isn't how the problem is written though. you just implied that multiplication sign and brought it into the problem. don't bring any extra signs into the problem and solve it as is.

Originally Posted by franchise3

laugh.gif

i hit the 50 post limit friday or saturday night
embarassed.gif

Originally Posted by franchise3

laugh.gif

i hit the 50 post limit friday or saturday night
embarassed.gif

X=2

so how do you go from x(12) to 12x if you arent implying multiplication? you clearly just multiplied to get it. You keep doing the same thing and saying to multiply before divide. ab = a * b you dont HAVE to right the sign for it to be acknowledged.

X=2

so how do you go from x(12) to 12x if you arent implying multiplication? you clearly just multiplied to get it. You keep doing the same thing and saying to multiply before divide. ab = a * b you dont HAVE to right the sign for it to be acknowledged.

Originally Posted by BC2310

Originally Posted by i just got lucky

Let's try solving X. X=2 in these equations.

48 ÷ x(9+3) =288
48 ÷ 12x = 288
48 = 12x * 288
12x = 48 / 288
12x = 1 / 6
x = 1/72

288 is a NO.

48 ÷ x(9+3) =2
48 ÷ 12x = 2
48 = 12x * 2
48 = 24x
24x = 48
x = 2

TEAM 2 wins.

Laughable.
48 ÷ x(9+3) =288

Multiply both sides by x first.

48(9+3) = 288 x

576 = 288x

X = 2
Just when I thought I was out.... They pulled me back in....
zv3muc.jpg

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=48+÷+x(9+3)+=288

and now I'm done
Just had to reiterate this one more time. This post should end the thread.
BC2310 where you at son? 

Disappeared so quickly after this flop of an ether 
laugh.gif

I still don't get this though. You clearly saw my answer was 2, you go on wolfram alpha plug it in, the answer is 2 and yet you come into this thread trying to shut it down and @#$# and you do nothing but provide evidence for me 
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Son even had the nerve to edit his post after thinking he was doing it. "Yo, I just proved you're on team 2 son what now" 
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Originally Posted by BC2310

Originally Posted by i just got lucky

Let's try solving X. X=2 in these equations.

48 ÷ x(9+3) =288
48 ÷ 12x = 288
48 = 12x * 288
12x = 48 / 288
12x = 1 / 6
x = 1/72

288 is a NO.

48 ÷ x(9+3) =2
48 ÷ 12x = 2
48 = 12x * 2
48 = 24x
24x = 48
x = 2

TEAM 2 wins.

Laughable.
48 ÷ x(9+3) =288

Multiply both sides by x first.

48(9+3) = 288 x

576 = 288x

X = 2
Just when I thought I was out.... They pulled me back in....
zv3muc.jpg

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=48+÷+x(9+3)+=288

and now I'm done
Just had to reiterate this one more time. This post should end the thread.
BC2310 where you at son? 

Disappeared so quickly after this flop of an ether 
laugh.gif

I still don't get this though. You clearly saw my answer was 2, you go on wolfram alpha plug it in, the answer is 2 and yet you come into this thread trying to shut it down and @#$# and you do nothing but provide evidence for me 
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Son even had the nerve to edit his post after thinking he was doing it. "Yo, I just proved you're on team 2 son what now" 
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

X=2

x÷ab doesn't equal x÷a*b. if you can't see that, then it's pointless to keep debating with you.

^ input values and you will see
x=20
a=5
b=4

the answer to the first one is 1, the answer to the second one is 16. reasoning being, in the first one, ab is 1 term, in the second one ab is 2 terms

X=2

x÷ab doesn't equal x÷a*b. if you can't see that, then it's pointless to keep debating with you.

^ input values and you will see
x=20
a=5
b=4

the answer to the first one is 1, the answer to the second one is 16. reasoning being, in the first one, ab is 1 term, in the second one ab is 2 terms

Back
Top Bottom