48÷2(9+3) = ???

Originally Posted by balloonoboy

Certified, the funny thing is that I'm right. And you look like the fool.

But you play the fool so well...

There's no exception to that rule. Zing!
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif

I just proved that you're wrong son. How you gonna say that Wolfram Alpha is MANIPULATING equations, the ignorance 
laugh.gif
sick.gif

How is it clearly 288?

48 divided by what number gives you 288?

48 divided by what number gives you 2?

How is it clearly 288?

48 divided by what number gives you 288?

48 divided by what number gives you 2?

Originally Posted by balloonoboy

Certified, the funny thing is that I'm right. And you look like the fool.

But you play the fool so well...

There's no exception to that rule. Zing!
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif

I just proved that you're wrong son. How you gonna say that Wolfram Alpha is MANIPULATING equations, the ignorance 
laugh.gif
sick.gif

You 288 guys should look at the problem another way. We all agree that you're supposed to address PEMDAS first. So, solve what's in the parenthesis by using the distributive property.

In other words: 2(9+3) = (2x9) + (2x3) = 18 + 6 = 24

Now, you have 48 / 24 = 2 (TWO)

Maybe putting a parenthesis around the 2(9+3) would help to illustrate the point.

48/(2(9+3))

Edit: sorry, I had plus signs instead of multiplication signs up top.

You 288 guys should look at the problem another way. We all agree that you're supposed to address PEMDAS first. So, solve what's in the parenthesis by using the distributive property.

In other words: 2(9+3) = (2x9) + (2x3) = 18 + 6 = 24

Maybe putting a parenthesis around the 2(9+3) would help to illustrate the point.

48/(2(9+3))

Edit: sorry, I had plus signs instead of multiplication signs up top.

Originally Posted by pjhoody

In other words: 2(9+3) = (2+9) + (2+3) = 18 + 6 = 24

48/(2(9+3))

You literally just addressed what Team 288 has been trying to prove this entire thread. THANK YOU. THAT IS WHAT THE PROBLEM IS SUPPOSED TO LOOK LIKE WHEN THE ANSWER IS 2. However, the problem DOES NOT look like that so the answer is 288.
Spoiler [+]
You're not welcome on Team 288 though.

In other words: 2(9+3) = (2+9) + (2+3) = 18 + 6 = 24

48/(2(9+3))

You literally just addressed what Team 288 has been trying to prove this entire thread. THANK YOU. THAT IS WHAT THE PROBLEM IS SUPPOSED TO LOOK LIKE WHEN THE ANSWER IS 2. However, the problem DOES NOT look like that so the answer is 288.
Spoiler [+]
You're not welcome on Team 288 though.

Why are you even solving what's in the parenthesis using distributive property when there's no need for it.

It's a simple addition problem: (9+3)

Do you honestly need to distribute to solve that?

laugh.gif

Also...
UnkleTomCruze wrote:
[color= rgb(255, 255, 255)]Now This question goes to out to anyone and everyone championing an answer of 2; Is there a difference between:[/color]

[h3]48÷2(9+3) and 48÷ 2 x 1(9+3)[/h3]
I'll wait.

Why are you even solving what's in the parenthesis using distributive property when there's no need for it.

It's a simple addition problem: (9+3)

Do you honestly need to distribute to solve that?

laugh.gif

Also...
UnkleTomCruze wrote:
[color= rgb(255, 255, 255)]Now This question goes to out to anyone and everyone championing an answer of 2; Is there a difference between:[/color]

[h3]48÷2(9+3) and 48÷ 2 x 1(9+3)[/h3]
I'll wait.

no there was no need, but I was using distributive property to illustrate the relationship between the 2 and what was inside the parenthesis. Team 288 doesn't seem to understand that you're supposed to multiply what's in the parenthesis by 2... why? I HAVE NO IDEA.

and, no there is no difference. the answer for both = 2.

in fact, you may have made the best case for the answer being 2.

[h3]48÷ 2 x 1(9+3)  is the same as
[/h3][h3]48 / 2 x 12 =
[/h3]
you do the multiplication first... peMDas -- as in MULTIPLICATION BEFORE DIVISION-- that's 2 x 12 = 24... do we need to keep going...
laugh.gif

dang, I said I wasn't responding anymore.

no there was no need, but I was using distributive property to illustrate the relationship between the 2 and what was inside the parenthesis. Team 288 doesn't seem to understand that you're supposed to multiply what's in the parenthesis by 2... why? I HAVE NO IDEA.

[/h3][h3]48 / 2 x 12 =
[/h3]
you do the multiplication first... peMDas -- as in MULTIPLICATION BEFORE DIVISION-- that's 2 x 12 = 24... do we need to keep going...
laugh.gif

[/h3][h3]48 / 2 x 12 =
[/h3]
laugh.gif

gif_oprah_no.gif

[/h3][h3]48 / 2 x 12 =
[/h3]
laugh.gif

gif_oprah_no.gif

^ not saying 2 is necessarily wrong...but you dont have to multiply before dividing in pemdas...its m or d before a or s

^ not saying 2 is necessarily wrong...but you dont have to multiply before dividing in pemdas...its m or d before a or s

I'm going to show this to my math teacher on Tuesday. As far as PEMDAS goes, I'm not sure why people are grouping that 2 outside of the parenthesis in with P. All P stands for is 9+3, and then you start back at the beginning of the problem and solve from left to right. Google says this, my TI-83, 86 calculators say this, and every teacher I have ever had taught me this. The answer is 288.

Back
Top Bottom