48÷2(9+3) = ???

Originally Posted by LimitedRetroOG

Why the hell is everyone so confused by this? The answer is CLEARLY 288.
You do the parentheses first, so 9+3=12.
Which leaves you with 48÷2*12
Then you go from left to right.
48÷2=24.
24*12=288.
THE DAMN ANSWER IS 288.
Nah, the 2 is attached to the parenthesis, like an exponent.  You can't take away the 2.

Originally Posted by DeadsetAce

im saying 2...i know the PHD, rocket scientist, and UCLA math whiz all say 288...but i think it's 2 based off how im interpreting they way the problem is written
But I'm sayin' though ....

How come everybody that states (2) has a grammar problem?

Originally Posted by UnkleTomCruze

Originally Posted by balloonoboy

Ph.D?
laugh.gif

Where's the distributive property, though?

There is no need for the distributive property because that goes against the order of operations.

You need to tackle the parentheticl problem FIRST, which is 9+3.

By applying the distributive property, you're essentially ignoring the equation within the parenthesis...which you cannot do.

PEMDAS...P comes before Multiplication.

BODMAS...B (which stands for bracket) comes before Multiplication.

You can't just bypass the rules.

How does it go against the order of operations if that's how you take care of the parenthesis. The multiplication required to dissolve the parenthesis overrides the order of operations because it is a part of the parenthetical.

Your roommate is wrong. The answer is 2 (or 8.66667).

48÷2=24.
24*12=288.
THE DAMN ANSWER IS 288.
Nah, the 2 is attached to the parenthesis, like an exponent.  You can't take away the 2.

Ph.D?
laugh.gif

There is no need for the distributive property because that goes against the order of operations.

By applying the distributive property, you're essentially ignoring the equation within the parenthesis...which you cannot do.

How does it go against the order of operations if that's how you take care of the parenthesis. The multiplication required to dissolve the parenthesis overrides the order of operations because it is a part of the parenthetical.

Your roommate is wrong. The answer is 2 (or 8.66667).

im saying 2...i know the PHD, rocket scientist, and UCLA math whiz all say 288...but i think it's 2 based off how im interpreting they way the problem is written

Originally Posted by snakeyes17

Ph.D?
laugh.gif

THERE ARE NO VARIABLES.
You don't use the damn distributive property.
I repeat, YOU DON'T USE THE DISTRIBUTIVE PROPERTY.

Originally Posted by Rocky437

Look people, THERE IS A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN 48÷2(9+3) = AND (48÷2)(9+3) =  So NO, This question is NOT POORLY WRITTEN. IT IS A SIMPLE QUESTION.

AND FOR THE RECORD (48÷2)(9+3) = 288 BUT THIS IS NOT THE QUESTION

The question is 48÷2(9+3) = This answer is 2.
You're right. It is simple, and it isn't poorly written, but your math is wrong.
The question is 48÷2(9+3) = This answer is 288.
÷2(12) due to the Parentheses in the order of operations.
24(12) which is the same as 24*12 due to the Division in the order of operations.
24*12 = 288 due to the Multiplication in the order of operations.

Originally Posted by I3

B. E. D. M. A. S. which is: brackets, exponents, division & mutiplication, addition & subtraction.

48/2(9+3)
48/2(12)
48/24
So why did you do Multiplication before Division then? They are of the same importance. Just whichever appears first.

Yes you are correct.  I forget Mrs. Deveraux taught me going from left to right. So the answer is 288.

So does that mean if subtraction is ahead of addition, the left to right rule remains?

Originally Posted by snakeyes17

Ph.D?
laugh.gif

THERE ARE NO VARIABLES.
You don't use the damn distributive property.
I repeat, YOU DON'T USE THE DISTRIBUTIVE PROPERTY.

Originally Posted by Rocky437

Look people, THERE IS A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN 48÷2(9+3) = AND (48÷2)(9+3) =  So NO, This question is NOT POORLY WRITTEN. IT IS A SIMPLE QUESTION.

AND FOR THE RECORD (48÷2)(9+3) = 288 BUT THIS IS NOT THE QUESTION

The question is 48÷2(9+3) = This answer is 2.
You're right. It is simple, and it isn't poorly written, but your math is wrong.
The question is 48÷2(9+3) = This answer is 288.
÷2(12) due to the Parentheses in the order of operations.
24(12) which is the same as 24*12 due to the Division in the order of operations.
24*12 = 288 due to the Multiplication in the order of operations.

Originally Posted by I3

B. E. D. M. A. S. which is: brackets, exponents, division & mutiplication, addition & subtraction.

48/2(9+3)
48/2(12)
48/24
So why did you do Multiplication before Division then? They are of the same importance. Just whichever appears first.

Yes you are correct.  I forget Mrs. Deveraux taught me going from left to right. So the answer is 288.

So does that mean if subtraction is ahead of addition, the left to right rule remains?

Originally Posted by do work son

Originally Posted by eddiehouse5

Originally Posted by JFMartiMcDandruff

Do you automatically group 2(9+3) ? Like (2(9+3))???

Yes. The question is not poorly written, some of you are just trying to create new math.

no, it is very poorly written. its unclear whether the problem reads
yes, im quoting myself in hopes of ending this thread. if it's meant to be the problem on the left, the answer is 2. if it's the problem on the right, the answer is 288

Originally Posted by cguy610

48÷2=24.

24*12=288.

THE DAMN ANSWER IS 288.

alien.gif
roll.gif
WHAT? No, it's there signifying that you multiply the sum of the equation in the parenthesis.

48÷2=24.

24*12=288.

THE DAMN ANSWER IS 288.

alien.gif
roll.gif
WHAT? No, it's there signifying that you multiply the sum of the equation in the parenthesis.

That got me too.

And it's because we both assumed that in PEMDAS (assuming that you are in fact using PEMDAS) Multiplication comes before division...and this is where the mistake is.

I don't know if I was thinking that way because I was taught that way, or I just forgot the proper way.

Either way, there's some probability that middle school/h.school kids taking algebra are being taught the wrong thing...
ohwell.gif
...which is very unfortunate.

That got me too.

And it's because we both assumed that in PEMDAS (assuming that you are in fact using PEMDAS) Multiplication comes before division...and this is where the mistake is.

I don't know if I was thinking that way because I was taught that way, or I just forgot the proper way.

Either way, there's some probability that middle school/h.school kids taking algebra are being taught the wrong thing...
ohwell.gif
...which is very unfortunate.

Yes. The question is not poorly written, some of you are just trying to create new math.

yes, im quoting myself in hopes of ending this thread. if it's meant to be the problem on the left, the answer is 2. if it's the problem on the right, the answer is 288

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

Ph.D?
laugh.gif

The way you're doing it the parentheses are still there by the time you start dividing. Just because you've solved what's in the parentheses doesn't mean it goes away. If there's a number attached to it, you have to distribute. It's not multiplication....it's distribution. If you can't differentiate the two, then it's no point arguing.

please explain how distribution is not the same as multiplication. i'm one of those who can't differentiate between the two.

please distribute the following: 2(12), without multiplying. write out your steps so i can understand.

thanks a ton!

-waystinthyme

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

Ph.D?
laugh.gif

The way you're doing it the parentheses are still there by the time you start dividing. Just because you've solved what's in the parentheses doesn't mean it goes away. If there's a number attached to it, you have to distribute. It's not multiplication....it's distribution. If you can't differentiate the two, then it's no point arguing.

please explain how distribution is not the same as multiplication. i'm one of those who can't differentiate between the two.

please distribute the following: 2(12), without multiplying. write out your steps so i can understand.

thanks a ton!

-waystinthyme

[h3]48÷2(9+3) = ___
48÷2*(9+3) = ___
48÷2*(12) = ___ (Solve left to right)
24*(12) = ___

As opposed to:

48÷[2(9+3)] = ___

Which is also written as (and NOT the original equation):

R4y7j.png

because you simply implied that the entire 2nd half of the problem goes right under the denominator... (THE ORIGINAL EQUATION GIVEN DOES NOT SPECIFY THIS SO STOP ASSUMING IT DOES!!)

Secondly:

Distribution is a form of of multiplication...

For those who decided that they could possibly distribute 2(9+3) are doing so while simply ignoring the number 48...

Which means your incorrectly "breaking the problem up" into two different parts...

Which means that your essentially multiplying before you divide...

When you should be multiplying or dividing as you go from left to right on the equation...

Meaning that you're distributing when you should be solving whats in parenthesis first...

Yes, I'm aware that 2(9+3) = gives you 24 if you solve parenthesis first or distribute... **but this is only in an isolated problem**
[/h3]

[h3]48÷2(9+3) = ___
48÷2*(9+3) = ___
48÷2*(12) = ___ (Solve left to right)
24*(12) = ___

As opposed to:

48÷[2(9+3)] = ___

Which is also written as (and NOT the original equation):

R4y7j.png

because you simply implied that the entire 2nd half of the problem goes right under the denominator... (THE ORIGINAL EQUATION GIVEN DOES NOT SPECIFY THIS SO STOP ASSUMING IT DOES!!)

Secondly:

Distribution is a form of of multiplication...

For those who decided that they could possibly distribute 2(9+3) are doing so while simply ignoring the number 48...

Which means your incorrectly "breaking the problem up" into two different parts...

Which means that your essentially multiplying before you divide...

When you should be multiplying or dividing as you go from left to right on the equation...

Meaning that you're distributing when you should be solving whats in parenthesis first...

Yes, I'm aware that 2(9+3) = gives you 24 if you solve parenthesis first or distribute... **but this is only in an isolated problem**
[/h3]

48÷2=24.
24*12=288.
THE DAMN ANSWER IS 288.
it is not an exponent, and it is not attached to the parentheses other than to indicate multiplication.

Originally Posted by i3

YES. Addition and Subtraction are of the same importance. So in the problem 31+8...you just go left to write. Same with 48÷2*12. It is just left to right. 

Originally Posted by akuratl02

How are you going to call someone out for grammar when you apparently don't have a grasp on what the word 'grammar' even means? 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by akuratl02

How are you going to call someone out for grammar when you apparently don't have a grasp on what the word 'grammar' even means? 
laugh.gif

That's not how math works, though. Unless negatives are involved, you can't just have two solutions.

48/2(9+3)=
48/[2(9+3)]=
48/[18+6]=
48/24=

I know this is right. That 2 applies to the brackets. This is correct 100%. you must do the multiplication, then the addition. BEDMAS. = Brackets, Exponents, Divide, Multiply,Add, Subtract.

Back
Top Bottom