48÷2(9+3) = ???

The Answer is 2

48 / 2(9+3)

is the same as

48 / (2*9 + 2*3)

48 / (18+6)

48 / (24)

The "2" in the original equation is a factor of both 18 and 6 that is why it was written in the outside of the parenthesis.

Originally Posted by LaSevenTrees

The Answer is 2

48 / 2(9+3)

is the same as

48 / (2*9 + 2*3)

48 / (18+6)

48 / (24)

The "2" in the original equation is a factor of both 18 and 6 that is why it was written in the outside of the parenthesis.

Another great way to look at it. The number is attached for a reason is all I'm trying to say.

The Answer is 2

48 / 2(9+3)

is the same as

48 / (2*9 + 2*3)

48 / (18+6)

48 / (24)

Exactly what I said above. This is the complete truth. Even if anyone has another "example" of how it is 288, they can't defeat this example, which means that either our answer is correct, or math is broken
eyes.gif

The Answer is 2

48 / 2(9+3)

is the same as

48 / (2*9 + 2*3)

48 / (18+6)

48 / (24)

Another great way to look at it. The number is attached for a reason is all I'm trying to say.

The Answer is 2

48 / 2(9+3)

is the same as

48 / (2*9 + 2*3)

48 / (18+6)

48 / (24)

Exactly what I said above. This is the complete truth. Even if anyone has another "example" of how it is 288, they can't defeat this example, which means that either our answer is correct, or math is broken
eyes.gif

On another note: I'm glad that the mods opened this back up. A thread that discusses something intelligent for once should be welcome in NT.

On another note: I'm glad that the mods opened this back up. A thread that discusses something intelligent for once should be welcome in NT.

The freaking answer is 2.

You dont do math left to right.

Your first order of business is to solve 2(9 + 3) which is 24

If you honestly think the answer is 2, why don't you go ahead and ring the call button and Tommy will come back there and hit you on the head with a tack hammer because you are a ******.

If you honestly think the answer is 2, why don't you go ahead and ring the call button and Tommy will come back there and hit you on the head with a tack hammer because you are a ******.

Originally Posted by hoosiers4life

Although I appreciate Tommy Boy as much as the next person, I think its comments like this that got the thread locked the first time.

Originally Posted by hoosiers4life

Although I appreciate Tommy Boy as much as the next person, I think its comments like this that got the thread locked the first time.

I agree with the 288 crew for reasons already stated in this thread.

Just a quick question that no one has brought up (trying to think of this creatively):

Does the distributive property of multiplication fall under the P in PEMDAS or the M?

I agree with the 288 crew for reasons already stated in this thread.

Just a quick question that no one has brought up (trying to think of this creatively):

Does the distributive property of multiplication fall under the P in PEMDAS or the M?

Originally Posted by pacmagic2002

Originally Posted by Jhustle23

This thread is funny. I see how you can get either answer, but really it's not this serious.

So when one of these NTers saying its 2 becomes a rocket scientist for NASA 20 years down the line and this equation comes up in their work.....it wont make a difference?
If they're this convinced it's 2, they're not gonna be rocket scientists.

Edit: here's another way to think of it, I'm pretty sure

After you take car of the parenthesis by adding (9+3), the equation looks like 48 / 2(12). I'm pretty sure that's equivalent to an initial equation that looks like 24/4(12); where the parentheses don't effect order of operation, because the operation is just multiplication, and doesn't fall under the "P" in PEMDAS.

Originally Posted by pacmagic2002

Originally Posted by Jhustle23

This thread is funny. I see how you can get either answer, but really it's not this serious.

So when one of these NTers saying its 2 becomes a rocket scientist for NASA 20 years down the line and this equation comes up in their work.....it wont make a difference?
If they're this convinced it's 2, they're not gonna be rocket scientists.

Edit: here's another way to think of it, I'm pretty sure

After you take car of the parenthesis by adding (9+3), the equation looks like 48 / 2(12). I'm pretty sure that's equivalent to an initial equation that looks like 24/4(12); where the parentheses don't effect order of operation, because the operation is just multiplication, and doesn't fall under the "P" in PEMDAS.

Originally Posted by ncmalko1

You do when it concerns the order of operations. The first order of business is to solve (9+3).
After that you go left to right regarding Division & Multiplication.

You do when it concerns the order of operations. The first order of business is to solve (9+3).
After that you go left to right regarding Division & Multiplication.

For real?

I guess we divide 2(9+3) by 48?

Answer will be 0.5. Make this man a Nobel Laureate for coming up with another answer.

PEMDAS

48÷2(9+3) = ???

48 / 2(12) = parenthesis first

HERE LIES THE DILEMMA... next step states to "multiply or divide", operationally from left to right. However, some would state the the parenthesis must be completed first...
a) 48 / 24
b) 24(12)

the way the original formula is written, I would go with option A, leaving me with the answer 2.
however, in a calculator, or depending which level math you are in (given the instructors methods in either using the X for multiply after the parenthesis operation is complete) the answer could also be 288.

ps - I taught math for a year

PEMDAS

48÷2(9+3) = ???

48 / 2(12) = parenthesis first

HERE LIES THE DILEMMA... next step states to "multiply or divide", operationally from left to right. However, some would state the the parenthesis must be completed first...
a) 48 / 24
b) 24(12)

the way the original formula is written, I would go with option A, leaving me with the answer 2.
however, in a calculator, or depending which level math you are in (given the instructors methods in either using the X for multiply after the parenthesis operation is complete) the answer could also be 288.

ps - I taught math for a year

Back
Top Bottom