5 years after LeBron vs. Duncan NBA Finals (great read)

I usually hate whatever Adrian Wojnarowski writes, but the title caught my attention and I was pleasantly surprised by this article. Finally enjoyed something he wrote. 
http://sports.yahoo.com/n...spurs-still-rolling.html
[h1]
[h1]As Heat, other super teams show cracks, Spurs still rolling in playoffs[/h1]
adrian-wojnarowski_061454.jpg

By Adrian Wojnarowski | Yahoo! Sports – 56 minutes ago

SAN ANTONIO – As Tim Duncan left the interview podium inside Quicken Loans Arena five years ago and started his walk down a corridor, LeBron James emerged on his way to deliver an NBA Finals concession speech. Duncan hugged James, and told him the NBA would soon belong to him. Duncan was grateful to have secured a fourth championship before the Cleveland Cavaliers star gobbled them for himself.

In these five years, the world has changed, and James started a movement that transformed the NBA: The pursuit of super teams. The Miami Heat, the New York Knicks and even these Los Angeles Clippers shredded their infrastructures and constructed themselves with starry, top-heavy rosters. This was the big-market championship blueprint that hustled the sport into a work stoppage, that left the two powerbrokers courtside here on Thursday night – NBA commissioner David Stern and Spurs owner Peter Holt – pushing to make that model obsolete in the post-lockout league.

Only, the Heat are undoing themselves in these playoffs. Perhaps it is the burden of those max contracts meeting the monumental expectations for victory. Suddenly, the Heat are threatening to fall apart in the Eastern Conference playoffs. Chris Bosh is down, Dwyane Wade is struggling and James is left with a burden that he never truly wanted. The Heat have little infrastructure to sustain the loss of Bosh.

2012-05-18T043516Z_01_SAN12_RTRIDSP_3_NBA.jpg
The Spurs have won their first six games of the playoffs. (Reuters)Well, Duncan was partly right five years ago. Yes, LeBron has taken over the NBA, but he won’t stand between Duncan and fifth NBA championship. Perhaps Oklahoma City will win the Western Conference finals, but make no mistake: These Spurs would absolutely take apart the Heat in the NBA Finals – with Bosh or without him.

The Spurs beat the Los Angeles Clippers 105-88 in Game 2 of this Western Conference semifinal, and it has been 36 days since San Antonio lost a basketball games. The Spurs have won 16 consecutive games – including six to start the playoffs – and they keep coming with the greatness of Duncan, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili, with waves upon waves of support around them. They come with a defensive scheme that’s stripped Chris Paul and Blake Griffin of everything they want to do, and an offensive system full of the complex and simple that always has the Clippers a step behind, a moment too late.

[Related: Kobe Bryant, LeBron James on Forbes list of most powerful celebrities]

Five years later, Duncan found himself surrounded with an eclectic ensemble of teammates borne out of general manager R.C. Buford’s scouting acumen and coach Gregg Popovich’s genius of integrating the talent into a victorious system. Five years later, Duncan is 36 years old, and the truth is unmistakable: He’s closer to his fifth championship than James is to his first.

“It’s been successful for us,
[/h1]

I didn't really like the spurs when they were winning their titles 10 years ago, but now I'm rooting for them. The organization is run extremely well and Popovich is an amazing coach.

Decent read. It's an interesting angle but dude is just not a good writer. All over the place.

its a solid read. I remember him joking with lebron and saying after he told him the league would be his "thank you for letting us get this one" or something to that effect and lebron giggled....

10rsihc.jpg

i knew then he was too nice. I remember thinking they just walked the trophy past you in that hallway why are you laughing? Gotta give props to the spurs for their efforts in building a solid all around team. Diaw, Steve Jack, guys like that are key parts to a masterpiece of a team. they're SO DAMN BORING with their bank shots and lay ups but they are a force in the West and have been for the past 15 years or so. Gotta give props. Timmy may get #5 this year

This is still pretty crazy to me, If you would of told me 5 years ago after that finals loss, that Lebron would still be looking for his 1st ring 5 years later, I would of posted every disrespectful GIF possible.......

Side note* I still have a few Tim Duncan rookie cards!!!!!!!!!!

^I would agree. Pop has made dudes play with in his system and they've done wonders.
Gotta agree with THEKILLERJ23, I thought for sure the year after he would have won. But it's surprising that 5 years have past like that though
eek.gif

Originally Posted by Brandon3000

its a solid read. I remember him joking with lebron and saying after he told him the league would be his "thank you for letting us get this one" or something to that effect and lebron giggled....

10rsihc.jpg

i knew then he was too nice. I remember thinking they just walked the trophy past you in that hallway why are you laughing?

Oh please
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by 7thAve btn 31stN33rd St

Coach Pop > Phil Jackson

I don't give a damn, come at me.
339048_o.gif
Thats because its true. Good read by the way.

Originally Posted by Antidope

Originally Posted by 7thAve btn 31stN33rd St

Coach Pop > Phil Jackson

I don't give a damn, come at me.
339048_o.gif
Thats because its true. Good read by the way.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Mannn this Spurs team is putting in work
sick.gif

TD, TP, Manu, s-Jax, coach Pop
pimp.gif

Can't wait to see em in the Finals this years while LeChoke watches from the crib with his ugly wife
roll.gif

Interesting read/perspective, but like others have said the writing itself is lacking.

Obviously the WCF = "the real NBA Finals". Spurs have always been a model of consistency when building a team the old-fashioned way

10rsihc.jpg

i knew then he was too nice. I remember thinking they just walked the trophy past you in that hallway why are you laughing? Gotta give props to the spurs for their efforts in building a solid all around team. Diaw, Steve Jack, guys like that are key parts to a masterpiece of a team. they're SO DAMN BORING with their bank shots and lay ups but they are a force in the West and have been for the past 15 years or so. Gotta give props. Timmy may get #5 this year
hahaha word.  shorty on the right caught more feelings than baby bron bron

Originally Posted by dreClark

10rsihc.jpg

i knew then he was too nice. I remember thinking they just walked the trophy past you in that hallway why are you laughing?

Oh please
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
I believe him. He just probably didn't realize it until Lebron left Cleveland.. totally a coincidence.

If Nba teams would learn how to play the game rather than iso. They too would have a chance to win.

you dreaded watching the spurs as a kid...then when you got a little bit older, you realize how they move that ball around is a thing of beauty

Can't wait to see em in the Finals this years while LeChoke watches from the crib with his ugly wife
roll.gif

No need to talk about another mans wife.

The spurs have not won anything yet. The super team known as the Thunder may still eliminate them and it is possible you never hear of the Spurs again. 

Can't stand watching the Spurs but gotta give credit where it's due Pop is a hell of a coach and they built their team the right way, no splurging on free agents tryna take the easy route like Miami and New York did thus handcuffing their roster from acquiring great role players for years to come

Only reason I’m rooting for the Spurs this year is because they’re the only team that can beat the Zombies.

Back
Top Bottom