60 Minutes Report - Is Our Generation Really This Spoiled & Lazy

I thought this was a pretty interesting report. And just to clarify, the words "spoiled & lazy" are just used because IMO this is how the reportcomes off to me.

To be honest though, I worked at UPS (which was been around for 101 years), and seeing them adjust to "Millenials" seems ludicrous. Seeing businessesadjust to the needs of its' workers seems like a breath of fresh air, but I wouldn't go this far. Let me knowwhat you think. IMO, you can interpret this report as either "the Millenials are the next revolution" or "Millenials are disillusionedfools." I would go with the latter. In many ways, I'm still under the impression that the bosses run things, and if you don't like it, work harderand take his job.

http://www.cbsnews.com/sections/i_video/main500251.shtml?id=4126233n

BTW, anyone know if there are any openings at Zappos?

Haha, I actually saw that yesterday, and I never watch 60 minutes.
I thought it was very interesting, but of course, it also depends on the business in question.
If you can be easily replaced, clearly they would never adjust to the needs of any of its workers.

Damn, I need a job at Zappos
eek.gif
!

I sort of came into the post hoping illmaticsoulchild was going to post up monstrous thread pix of Lisa Marie Scott again but noooooooo I was dismayed - ohwell.

Are people of this generation spoiled & lazy? It depends on the parents, IMHO.

illmatic - you worked for UPS too? Damn... we all suited up in brown at some time lol

boooo 60 minutes for this report. Find something worthwhile to report on.

In my opinion, this is only partly inaccurate. Show this to the thousand of lawyers, mba's, doctors, accountants who graduate and we'll see whether ornot they value success; whether or not they are adverse to shirts and ties; whether or not they faced intense competition.

Also, something they neglected to mention about the so-called 'mercenary' workers who bounce between jobs. Well, maybe they don't want to givetheir life to jobs who no longer care about them. I'm sure most of our parents had jobs that offered pensions. So yea, they had incentive to work hardfor 1 company and stick around. Now, well, you'd be hard-pressed to find that kind of retirement security in a non-government job. Best we get is a 401-kwhich is tied to the volatility of the market, and can be rolled-over at any time. So yea, why should we be dedicated to 1 employer who offers us nothing buta place to grind out hours and a measly 14 days of vacation a year.

I wouldn't necessarily say that this generation is "spoiled and lazy" but rather "babied" through the years we're supposed to growup on our own. Not to say that this whole generation is like that but there are some who work extremely hard because they have that drive in them to... thenthere are some who quit when work gets too hard. It really depends on their upbringing.

Damn, I got to 4 minutes into it and I'm so heated. I graduated in December, I got a job, I work 9-5 in an office. I feel like I am letting people downwhen I ask for a vacation day or to get out a little early to get some things done. I wear dress pants and a button up when people are wearing jeans everydaybecause I want to feel professional. This pisses me off that the older generation sees people my age like this. Damn, lady said, "Most kids in this grouphave never worked a day of their life." I know she said most so she wasn't including everyone, but most still means people would first assume youhaven't before thinking you have. Damn, I worked 6am-3pm as a freaking custodian every day of the summer throughout high school and college. Tell me Idon't know what it's like to get to work.

I know this was totally a rant. And I'm ready for all the "U Madd Doggie??@!!?!!???" posts. But hell, I can't believe my peers are suchself-centered pieces of #+#%.

Originally Posted by illmaticsoulchild

I thought this was a pretty interesting report. And just to clarify, the words "spoiled & lazy" are just used because IMO this is how the report comes off to me.

To be honest though, I worked at UPS (which was been around for 101 years), and seeing them adjust to "Millenials" seems ludicrous. Seeing businesses adjust to the needs of its' workers seems like a breath of fresh air, but I wouldn't go this far. Let me know what you think. IMO, you can interpret this report as either "the Millenials are the next revolution" or "Millenials are disillusioned fools." I would go with the latter. In many ways, I'm still under the impression that the bosses run things, and if you don't like it, work harder and take his job.

http://www.cbsnews.com/sections/i_video/main500251.shtml?id=4126233n

BTW, anyone know if there are any openings at Zappos?

I live right down the street from Zappos HQ, but no, I don't know if they've got opennings.
As for the topic, you can call every successivegeneration spoiled and lazy.

"Why, I used to walk to and from school every single day. It was uphill both ways, it snowed every day, and there was always a headwind."

"When I was a kid, we didn't have memory cards or hard drives for our video games. We had to finish some of them in one sitting. If you turned off theconsole, you'd have to start all over again."

That's the same exact thing to me
laugh.gif

Didn't watch the video but yes we are that spoiled and lazy.
I wouldn't call us spoiled and lazy, we just do things differently. And believe, we are doing it right.

Originally Posted by Barack 0drama

Ironic considering the whole purpose of the previous generations is to make it so the current gen. and the ones after it doesn't have to work as hard.

Now it's a negative all of a sudden.

Just wondering, how do you define that? IMO, as long as you have a reasonable workload, good benefits and a secure job that's all anyone reallyneeds.
In the video can see there's a little too much coddling of this present generation.

I always like to give this example. Being in UPS management, whenever service providers (drivers) would have an X amount of time safe driving (no accidents andno injuries) we always praise them and give them plaques and gifts.

But why? I mean, the alternative for them is, "don't drive safe, don't use your seatbelt, get into an accident and potentially die." Whyshould such a thing even be motivated? Going home to your family in one piece should be enough for any person.

Yet another example of the huge divide between our generation and previous (specifically, baby boomers, generation jones'rs, and to some older genx'rs). Most of what these "experts" said does not seem to hold weight. It's near impossible to get any type of gainful employment withoutsome college. 20 years ago a person had a much better chance finding a job with the oppurtunity for advancement and that payed a livable wage with a highschool diploma. A lot of us grew up watching our parents work hard only to be layed off or passed over. Hundreds of thousands of jobs are being sent overseas.Then they wonder why there's no company loyalty.

A college degree now doesn't really mean that much. Not to mention millions of workers 60 and older who hold on to the jobs they have not because they needthe job, but because the job is their life. If that person does eventually retire, either that job will become obselete, go to a younger person for half thepay, or be shipped overseas. I think almost everyone has had at least one boss or co-worker who was an absolute idiot, and they continue to climb the ranks inthat company.

Sorry to rant, but when i hear people try to explain things they know nothing about, it tends to frustrate the hell out of me.

"more than half of college grads go back to live at home afterwards"
"lifestyle and friends over work"

Damn, is this really what this my generation has come to...being scared to live your own life so you move back home?? Thesecond quote I have is so typical of people I work with too, they could care less about getting fired from their job and waste their paycheck on booze andclothes while I'm struggling to pay bills with mine...I must be in the minority of these spoiled people.

Spoiled yes. Lazy perhaps. Definitely catered to and coddled in almost any way possible. Soft and bratty (if there was a harsher word for bratty I would useit), basically. Just checking the attitudes of some of the teens and younger college kids on this site, it's not too tough to figure out. What I did likewas the need to return to a lifestyle where work & career aren't the end all be all because in the end you're most likely going to end up doing itfor someone else. Calling the shots in that sense is something this culture needs. People have been breaking their backs and been loyal to their employers atall costs sacrificing themselves and their families only to end up getting shafted in the end. Eff that!

Spoiled and lazy, hm depends on your upbringing.

Personally, as someone growing up in this "millenials" generation, I don't really see myself under that label. Considering that I currentlydon't have the opportunity traveling abroad as the report suggests, and I do not plan on moving back home with my family.

Also, I've worked pretty hard for most of my life in terms of career and education, so yeah.

Yet another example of the huge divide between our generation and previous (specifically, baby boomers, generation jones'rs, and to some older gen x'rs). Most of what these "experts" said does not seem to hold weight. It's near impossible to get any type of gainful employment without some college. 20 years ago a person had a much better chance finding a job with the oppurtunity for advancement and that payed a livable wage with a high school diploma. A lot of us grew up watching our parents work hard only to be layed off or passed over. Hundreds of thousands of jobs are being sent overseas. Then they wonder why there's no company loyalty.

A college degree now doesn't really mean that much. Not to mention millions of workers 60 and older who hold on to the jobs they have not because they need the job, but because the job is their life. If that person does eventually retire, either that job will become obselete, go to a younger person for half the pay, or be shipped overseas. I think almost everyone has had at least one boss or co-worker who was an absolute idiot, and they continue to climb the ranks in that company.

+1

In my opinion, this is only partly inaccurate. Show this to the thousand of lawyers, mba's, doctors, accountants who graduate and we'll see whether or not they value success; whether or not they are adverse to shirts and ties; whether or not they faced intense competition.

Also, something they neglected to mention about the so-called 'mercenary' workers who bounce between jobs. Well, maybe they don't want to give their life to jobs who no longer care about them. I'm sure most of our parents had jobs that offered pensions. So yea, they had incentive to work hard for 1 company and stick around. Now, well, you'd be hard-pressed to find that kind of retirement security in a non-government job. Best we get is a 401-k which is tied to the volatility of the market, and can be rolled-over at any time. So yea, why should we be dedicated to 1 employer who offers us nothing but a place to grind out hours and a measly 14 days of vacation a year.
yep...

How can one extrapolate the attitudes of a certain group of people unto an entire generation?

I'm sure some view Google's workplace policies as very lax and unprofessional. However, they've had more of an impact historically than 90% of anyother old school corporations.

Back
Top Bottom