**80's/90's Nickelodeon Appreciation Post**

marc-summers.jpg

Ren & Stimpy was cool as a child just because it really grossed my mom out. As an adult, and let me preface this by saying I haven't seen it in a long time, that cool factor doesn't hold up. I can't for the life of me remember any storylines that displayed any level of good writing.

Hey Arnold gave you almost too much as a child in terms of storylines. I absolutely love how diverse the characters are and so many have episodes dedicated to them as well. Still have yet to see the new Hey Arnold movie though.

:wow: was completely unaware of a new Hey Arnold! movie but just from quickly googling the poster, I already do not want to watch it because of the new age animation attributed to it. Something about that grainy 90’s animation just adds to the magic of that era.

:pimp: Cousin Skeeter, though.
Did not know Bill Bellamy was Skeeter until I watched the intro vid on the first page. How To Be A Player is an all-time classic.

Who y’all think had an overall better roster during that time between Cartoon Network & Nick, tho :nerd:

CN had some HITTERS.

Off the top of my head:
Johnny Bravo (Do the monkey! Huh!)
Dexter’s Lab
Powerpuff Girls (pause)
Ed Edd n Eddy
Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy
Courage the Cowardly Dog
Cow & Chicken
Samurai Jack (even though I didn’t like it as a kid).

Last edited:
Pete and Pete was a solid show. I loved the pacing.
I remember the day Doug, rugrats and ren & Stimpy aired. I was a big fan of Doug. The other two were decent. Always felt a lil uncomfortable watching ren and Stimpy.
I liked rockos modern life a lot as well.
Same with angry Beavers.
Nick arcade, hidden temple, nick news w5 with Linda ellerbe, welcome freshman, salute your shorts :pimp:
Never could get into Hey Dude.
I remember the teasers for snick was lowkey spooky. Could not stand roundhouse. Ayaotd was dope. All that was not all that.

Then nick jr when I was younger
Elephant show :pimp: maya the bee, eurekas castle, David the gnome

Nick at night was cool to me too
Get smart :pimp:
Car 54
Mr Ed
Dobie Gillis
Donna Reed
Mary Tyler Moore
Mork & Mindy
Green acres (couldn't believe I got into it as much as I did)
Never could get into MASH though.

I never got into real monsters. It was just weird. Same with the Dracula type show that used to come on. The opening scene was a castle in the rain.

Not nick, but did anyone watch duckman :lol: it was definitely not for kids. I wouldn't mind catching an episode of it now. Also the critic was cool too.

Damn I watched a lot of TV as a kid.

There was 1 point in 99/early 2000’s when Nickelodeon launches 3 channels on a further down the line cable channels. 1 channel just played whatever Nickelodeon played but 3 hours behind, 1 channel was dedicated to only game shows,Nickelodeon GAS(games and sports) and the third channel just played nonstop older cartoons

I remember being in love with those channels. I hadn’t been around for nick arcade so I got to see that there and just watch tons of guts and hidden temple all summer.

And the retro channel was also appreciated just for catching up on older stuff

Yeah, a lot of the time the kids had dumb talents like being able to hula hoop and drink juice at the same time or have a dog that jumps on a trampoline.

:wow: was completely unaware of a new Hey Arnold! movie but just from quickly googling the poster, I already do not want to watch it because of the new age animation attributed to it. Something about that grainy 90’s animation just adds to the magic of that era.

:pimp: Cousin Skeeter, though.
Did not know Bill Bellamy was Skeeter until I watched the intro vid on the first page. How To Be A Player is an all-time classic.

Who y’all think had an overall better roster during that time between Cartoon Network & Nick, tho :nerd:

CN had some HITTERS.

Off the top of my head:
Johnny Bravo (Do the monkey! Huh!)
Dexter’s Lab
Powerpuff Girls (pause)
Ed Edd n Eddy
Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy
Courage the Cowardly Dog
Cow & Chicken
Samurai Jack (even though I didn’t like it as a kid).
The plot of the new movie is kind of ridiculous and your right about the art style, they're way more animated now and even get deformed at times. It was cool but were going to have to get used too it cause the creator said on twitter he's planning to build off the movie with a brand new series. Cartoon Network gets the nod to me simply off the fact they had Toonami plus the shows you mentioned. I mean I could watch Ed, Edd, and Eddy now and have a good time.

Back
Top Bottom