90% Of Album Sales Came From 2% Of Albums Vol. #OccupyAdele

Want to hear a relatively depressing statistic about album sales in 2011? OK, great, because that's just what you're getting here. Digital Music News reports that nearly 90 percent of all album sales last year came from 2 percent of the albums last year.

How? Well, there were roughly 76,875 albums released in 2011 and they sold a total of about 113 million copies. Of all those albums, a mere 1,500 of them equated to a total of 100 million sales. So that means around 75,375 albums pushed a total of 13 million units. Yeah.

http://www.prefixmag.com/...-from-2-of-albums/60501/

eek.gif

I love Adele, just as much as I loved Joss Stone and Amy Winehouse but every u.k female singer tend to have the curse of falling off after a while. Her music will run its course and pretty soon the consumers will be waiting for another break out singer from the U.K with a unique sound.

How is this different than any other year in music. I don't see how this is surprising. Pop music will always sell the most. The fact that 1,500 of them sold that much is amazing since I only bought maybe 15 CDs last year. 

Music is all singles driven now anyway. Artistically and economically. And they both drive each other.

People don't want to buy albums. They buy singles. So artists concentrate on big singles and will help them generate show money etc.

When people buy albums, they invest in artists. The whole Jeezy/Ross thing was a prime example. Jeezy seems to have FANS. FANS that stepped up for him when his album dropped.

Ross has a lot of people that like his songs. But it doesn't seem like people invest in him as an artist as much.

Or in a non rap field, Adele is an artist people invest in. She sings from the heart and touches listeners in a way that they connect to her and her music emotionally.

Ain't nobody trying to buy an LMFAO album. Or even a David Guetta album. But they'll do 2,3,4,5 million single sales on several songs off of their albums.

And people still don't buy the album. Because they don't connect to the artist and the music in the same way. It's disposable music to them.

makes sense tho cause only a handful of artists actually make good music these days

like dude said, the fact that 70,000 music acts put out albums that we barely heard shouldnt be a negative on the consumer. if your music is good music, no matter the genre, people will buy it. those 70,000 people werent worthy of droppin a album anyway.

i dont even like adele that much but respect that she put up huge MVP numbers.

if your music is good music, no matter the genre, people will buy it.

Well that's complete !%+*%%**. You're telling me any good album you've ever heard has been commercially successful?

that just goes to show how many albums sold isn't necessarily the only measurement of success in the music business...i don't care if i dont sell albums as long as I can get shows.

this also raises the standard of what makes an 'album' ...a conceptual piece of work that needs to be played from front to back...or a CD with 15 individual songs put together.

Back
Top Bottom