$900 in car repairs OR New car Vol: Help me out NT

Paid 350-400 on a brake/rotor job last year. Should've learned how to do it myself from my dad when I was younger...could've saved 200 easily. He just :smh: when I told him what I paid :lol:

Doing work on your car is good and all but if you mess up just know it's all on you, sometimes it makes sense to just pay someone to do it right. But it def depends on what you need done. Like everyone else has said $900 for a brake job is CRAZY. You should buy the rotors and pads yourself and take it to a mom and pop shop to put them on. Any person who call themselves a mechanic will be able to do brakes for the most part

Last edited:
You can get this done for way cheaper man. Spent less than 200 on parts and work from a guy my family know a few houses up to do my rear brakes.

You willin to pay $900 for some brake work????

Stop bein weak and get your hands dirty. It aint that hard son, its prolly on you tube.

Ill never understad how a man doesnt know how to do basic mechanic work on a vehicle. Even without a father in life. Some men just act like females.

If you do this work yourself, you will save a grip of money. You wont have any choice but to complete your task once you start and it isnt difficult.

anybody got any ideals on motor mounts on a mitsubishi eclipse price wise?

You willin to pay $900 for some brake work????

Stop bein weak and get your hands dirty. It aint that hard son, its prolly on you tube.

Ill never understad how a man doesnt know how to do basic mechanic work on a vehicle. Even without a father in life. Some men just act like females.

If you do this work yourself, you will save a grip of money. You wont have any choice but to complete your task once you start and it isnt difficult.

Preach on brotha

i cant help but smh at todays youth, quick to take a selfie for attention but have no ****** clue on how to work a hammer or drill. if you know how to turn a wrench clockwise and counter clockwise, you can change brake pads boy. same goes for the homie that needs to change his cat converter.

if either of you two live around seattle, holla at me. ill only charge you half of what your mechanic quoted.
For the love of everything these !!!!!

Rockauto.com

Gentleman in life you have to learn how to get your hands dirty and fix some **** in your own instead of handing money over people to over charge you just because they can

I changed my homies strut on his car and both rear drum brakes

Just look up your car on the Internet or pick up one of those repair manuals for your whip at the auto store

Bonus I you have a homie that's at a mechanic shop ask him to print of some instructions using all data :pimp:

Dude, fyi brakes need to be changed every so often. It doesn't mean you should consider buying a new car. $900 for a brake job on a non-luxury car is INSANE. All you need is front brakes. Go to your nearest auto parts store and purchase rotors and pads. Then go on craigslist and search the automotive services section for someone who does brakes. Why get rid of a car that doesn't have any mechanical (engine, transmission) issues with it. Lastly, don't EVER go back to that shop that quoted you 900.

edit: did a quick search on cost for parts, should run 75ish for parts (2 rotors and pads), then another 50ish should cover labor

All of this.

OP if the car has been treating you well and not breaking down on you I advise you to buy the parts yourself and have someone else install them. $900 is ridiculous.

Rockauto.com

Different brands

Good prices

Shipping is pretty good too

They also give you discounts :pimp:

Changed my rotors and pads back in November. Ish is easy as hell and the layout is identical on most cars. Just look up a video on YouTube of Mazda brake jobs

You will need a breaker bar if you don't have air tools since the bolts will be rusted on and hard to loosen with a normal wrench

Auto zone has a tool rental program for free

Got my parts on amazon for cheap

Last edited:
In the same boat. Need to get the catalyst converter fixed and that would run me about a rack.

So obviously cars ain't my thing. Let me try to give y'all as much info as I can.

The estimate I got was from Christian Brothers Automotive. I know it's a chain so might me pricey, but I'm new in the city and haven't scouted around.

Labor alone is about $380 

For the Brakes

Pad Kit $80
Disc Brake Rotor $151 (75 x 2)
Rear shoes $90
Wheel Cylinder $75 (37 x 2)
Brake System Flush $95

I might look into a DIY project and see if I stand a chance.

Yea they trying to get you . I saw that when I saw the brake system flush haha never heard of that and really it doesn't even make sense

You don't need rotors unless you brakes are grinding into them. I never got rotors replace except one time because brakes grinding into rotor . I do my own brakes

The mechanics make money off the parts. They got wholesale pricing so they probably making another $350 of those parts alone

You don't need rear brakes unless they are grinding into the rotor. Over 75% of your stopping power is through the front brakes. Rear brakes is just for reverse basically

But yea go on Craig's list and find a mechanic. When I had a older car I got all my. Takes down for less then $100

Last edited:
In the same boat. Need to get the catalyst converter fixed and that would run me about a rack.

So obviously cars ain't my thing. Let me try to give y'all as much info as I can.

The estimate I got was from Christian Brothers Automotive. I know it's a chain so might me pricey, but I'm new in the city and haven't scouted around.

Labor alone is about $380 

For the Brakes

Pad Kit $80
Disc Brake Rotor $151 (75 x 2)
Rear shoes $90
Wheel Cylinder $75 (37 x 2)
Brake System Flush $95

I might look into a DIY project and see if I stand a chance.

Yea they trying to get you . I saw that when I saw the brake system flush haha never heard of that and really it doesn't even make sense

You don't need rotors unless you brakes are grinding into them. I never got rotors replace except one time because brakes grinding into rotor . I do my own brakes

The mechanics make money off the parts. They got wholesale pricing so they probably making another $350 of those parts alone

You don't need rear brakes unless they are grinding into the rotor. Over 75% of your stopping power is through the front brakes. Rear brakes is just for reverse basically

But yea go on Craig's list and find a mechanic. When I had a older car I got all my. Takes down for less then $100
Brake flush gets all the air out if the brake lines so you can fully utilize the brake fluid for stopping.

The rest of this is ..... :smh: :lol:

^ for real 
laugh.gif

^ for real :lol:

Brake flush gets all the air out if the brake lines so you can fully utilize the brake fluid for stopping.

I guess you both miss the post where I said I work on my own car and brakes.

Never once did a brake flush and a brake flush is NOT for getting air out the line,in fact you will put air in the brake system doing a flush , then you have to purge the air out as I described below

A brake flush does NOT get air out the line. It sounds good but your both wrong

You do not need to get air out the line when you do a brake change unless your brake fluid was very low, change a brake hose, or if you had a leak

Even then there is a valve near the brake fluid container or on the calipers that you can turn then you have somebody pump the brakes to purge the air then they hold the brakes down as the other person retighten the valve. This way air doesn't get sucked back in

Brake fluid change is a waste of money and complety unnecessary 99% of the time

Last edited:
^ for real :lol:

Never once did a brake flush and a brake flush is NOT for getting air out the line,in fact you will put air in the brake system doing a flush , then you have to purge the air out as I described below

You do not need to get air out the line when you do a brake change unless your brakenfkuid was low or something or if you had a leak

Even then there is a cable on the calipers that you can turn then you have somebody pump the brakes to purge the air out

Then again you don't need to do a brake fluid change it get air out of the line unless you had a leak, changed a brake hose or had low brake fluid

Other then that it is complety unnecessary
Yes you do need to get all the .....look I gotta be at work at 3 later on today we'll settle this then.

Go to rockauto and buy everything needed for under $200. Now since you're not capable of doing the work yourself, shop around and get quotes.  You shouldn't be paying more than an extra $150-200 in labor...

A brake job isn't hard but if you must get it done by someone just buy the parts yourself and look for someone to do it like mentioned.

Should try to link up w a tech from local dealership.

After my first visit, got talking with the tech who mentioned he does work on the side at his house/garage

Never went back to dealership, did great work for very cheape and he used his emp discount on any parts. I paid way less than half the dealership price and he still made well over double considering the time it took. Win-win. Those dealer techs get weak wages and apparently not treated very well either

Get a Bentley OP

or "da hemi" as NT forces me to say in every car thread :smh:

Yes you do need to get all the .....look I gotta be at work at 3 later on today we'll settle this then.

No you don't. I was taught by mechanic.. I been doing my brakes since I was 17 and I never ever did a brake flush and I never had to get the air out (bleed system), air doesn't go in the system. It's a closed circuit system. There is no way for air to get in. Unless the fluid gets low, leak or you change a brake hose

I did tons of brake jobs

Never changed my rotors either. Actually you can take the rotors to auto zone and they will turn them for free (smooth it out).. Unless OP brakes was low and grinding into the rotor he is fine

He only needs to do the front brakes

Op what city your in. If your near me I'll do it for free

Last edited:
Should try to link up w a tech from local dealership.

After my first visit, got talking with the tech who mentioned he does work on the side at his house/garage

Never went back to dealership, did great work for very cheape and he used his emp discount on any parts. I paid way less than half the dealership price and he still made well over double considering the time it took. Win-win. Those dealer techs get weak wages and apparently not treated very well either

They can get in big trouble telling people that way but he must had trusted you.

What I do is search Craig's list. They post there and backyard mechanics.

I got a tuneup, transmission filter and flush , oil change all for like $80 one time. Didn't take dude no more then a hour

One time my rear manifold I take went out ,paid like $250 to get that fix

But there is some good mechanics on Craig's list. I had one from goodyear auto before

You do not need to get air out the line when you do a brake change unless your brake fluid was very low, change a brake hose, or if you had a leak

Even then there is a valve near the brake fluid container or on the calipers that you can turn then you have somebody pump the brakes to purge the air then they hold the brakes down as the other person retighten the valve. This way air doesn't get sucked back in

Brake fluid change is a waste of money and complety unnecessary 99% of the time

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom