96-team NCAA tournament "a done deal".. could happen as soon as next year [Link]

i really hope they don't go to a 96 team tourney. makes regular season pointless

a 14 year deal with the NCAA having the only opt out clause
eek.gif

Gee what a surprise ESPN possibly has a hand in this.

This is more of the same of every coach wants accolades therefor more coaches will get better resumes and contracts because they "made the tournament." For more see the current NCAA bowl schedule.

And yes, as always it's all about the TV.

The NCAA continues to investigate the possibility of expanding the NCAA tournament, but NCAA senior vice president Greg Shaheen told FOXSports.com that no decision has been made.

"Nothing is a done deal," Shaheen, who oversees the tournament, told FOXSports.com on Monday afternoon. "We're talking with parties who have interest.

[h2]
One Internet Web site reported on Monday that, according to sources, the NCAA tournament would be expanding to 96 teams as early as next season.

The NCAA’s current contract, an 11-year, $6-billion deal with CBS that expires in 2013, has an opt-out clause after this season.

Multiple sources indicate that ESPN is considering bidding on the property. SportsBusiness Journal reported that CBS and Turner Sports are in discussions to create a joint bid for the rights.
[/h2]

so there's still hope.
ohwell.gif

Going to 96 teams will render the regular season even more meaningless
I have no idea why people feel the regular season is meaningless now.

Well, looks like I wont be playing any March Madness Challenge when this starts. What's going to happen with the NIT now? Dissolved? Will it take the teams that dont make it into the NCAA's? I mean, I for one already dont like watching the NIT and those scrub teams, but imagine if the championship game could consist of Colorado and Iowa
sick.gif

Yea I'm sure a lot of fans don't like it that much, but I played D-1 ball at a mid major and luckily we made the tourney my senior year so I got to experience it at least once. Reading this makes me wish that it would've been a 96 team tournament when I played so we could have better chances of making it.

So yea players from smaller schools will like it, but most fans (unless they are fans of these smaller schools) probably wont...

Originally Posted by Frankie Valentino

St. john's still wont make it.
laugh.gif

indifferent.gif
at this idea...having teams that have no business being in meaningful postseason play getting a bid...that's what the NIT is for...

Originally Posted by Frankie Valentino

St. john's still wont make it.
What major conference has the longest NCAA tournament drought?

I'm thinking Rutgers... last tourney appearance was 1991 when they were still part of the Atlantic 10.

Whats up Juan Baller?  I still remember your infamous ESPN Sports Center "highlight" someone posted on the board back in the day. Its crazy how time flies...

how would a 96 team field play out? i would assume some teams will receive a 1st round bye?

It gives the teams no type of incentive to play hard, because they'll sleep walk in to the tournament. Bad idea.

Anyone else kinda like this proposed format? I mean, the NIT fields 32 teams - why not just let those teams into the big dance? It can only make it better. Last year's tournament sucked, and you had teams like St. Mary's, SDSU, Creighton relegated to the NIT. Those teams should've been in and they likely will year-in year-out in a 96 team field. I wanna see those teams in it if they're going to continue to allow mediocre Arizona, Ohio State, and Wisconsin squads every year. Just let them all in.

Do fans really get geeked off regular season games anyway? Unless it's a rivalry game, the reg season is a bore. So the new format wouldn't really change that. They're college kids, they're gonna play hard regardless.

roll.gif

Regular season is a bore.

I don't think anyone likes this that watches a lot of cbb. It's perfect now.

Originally Posted by ERASCISM

Anyone else kinda like this proposed format? I mean, the NIT fields 32 teams - why not just let those teams into the big dance? It can only make it better. Last year's tournament sucked, and you had teams like St. Mary's, SDSU, Creighton relegated to the NIT. Those teams should've been in and they likely will year-in year-out in a 96 team field. I wanna see those teams in it if they're going to continue to allow mediocre Arizona, Ohio State, and Wisconsin squads every year. Just let them all in.

Do fans really get geeked off regular season games anyway? Unless it's a rivalry game, the reg season is a bore. So the new format wouldn't really change that. They're college kids, they're gonna play hard regardless.
I agree with you to an extent, but i don't think expanding the tournament is the best solution.  Like you said, the committee continues to let in mediocre power conference teams over deserving mid majors and that needs to stop. 

indifferent.gif

Is the BCS in on this?

Actually that can't be possible because a tournament still exist.

This is a horrible idea. Why add 30 teams that have no shot at winning the tournament while simultaneously making the regular season irrelevant?

Back
Top Bottom