-_- Fat Joe's The Darkside Vol. 1 -_-

smokin.gif
ninjahood wrote:

Originally Posted by DiPlOmAt TDOt

Originally Posted by Deuce King

"Ha Ha" (Slow Down is one of the BEST singles from a NY artist in a while...

I'm shocked that song didn't blow up more like "Beamer, Benz & Bentley"...it kind of came and went.

it got played alot....not to nauseous levels though like bank's joint though.

I felt the same way. I'm from Cali and I never heard buzz for BBB or Ha-Ha. Lack of promotion but the song is there. And I prefer that gritty boom bap sound of Ha-Ha over BBB, but both are hot songs. I also prefer when tracks dont blow up, because the replay value last longer for me. I can have a kick back and play that song and have everyone asking about it like Im Funk Flex and just world premiered it LOL 

Joe went in with his show tonight @ S.O.B.'s.
yes sir, got my jordan fat joe shirt, vado UN shirt, 2 copies of darkside, drank a nutcracker before i step foot in da house...great guest appearances...pistol pete's

new terror squad chain is ******ed....

Listened to it yesterday...good album...1st half is much stronger and consistent than the second half...a few unnecessary/filler joints in the second half but overall a good album...its not that dudes hate on the man, its the fact that he can give you something like this, then put out some doodoo wit his next joint its not like Joe never put out a good album before...waiting for vol.2...wanted to go to S.O.B's last night...oh well

Originally Posted by ninjahood

Joe went in with his show tonight @ S.O.B.'s.
yes sir, got my jordan fat joe shirt, vado UN shirt, 2 copies of darkside, drank a nutcracker before i step foot in da house...great guest appearances...pistol pete's

new terror squad chain is ******ed....
i needa get deeper in CT or live outside the city so i can just make these quick trips.

I should've went to SOBs... But I wanted to go to the Album Release Party cause the joint was free...

Just went to the Rucker and watched 2 pretty uneventful games... Should've went to ****man...
smh.gif

Originally Posted by Dapper D

I don't know, this is a regular Fat Joe album to me...except it doesn't have those corny girl records and party records like "Drop" or "I Won't Tell"...

....man joe, I Wont Tell was a banger

It just bugs me how this N use's samples that others people and producers already flipped (Valley of Death, Kilo, Heavenly Father, Ice Cream, Damn, Prove Something) and knockoff beats of other hits (No Problems, Clap & Revolve)...
I agree with this statement.

But with that said, this album is BANANAS. I don't listen to the radio and I don't really watch music vids, so I didn't even know (Ha Ha) Slow Down or the Trey joint were out as singles. Both are GREAT choices. I had Ha Ha knocking on repeat in the whip. Best song on the album.

This album is DEFINITELY better than Teflon Don imo. And I can't say I disagree with anyone who has this in their top 5 rap albums for 2010.

And this right here is a dope and honest review. Well written man. I agree with just about all of it:

The Kid Nimley wrote:
Normally when I do one of these, I'll give an album a good 2 or 3 burns before forming ANY REALopinion... Due to the fact that I don't like and barley respect Fat Joe(from a music standpoint), I more or less gonna give this ONE burn and just try to be as fair as possible...

Lil background, I enjoyed Jelous Ones Envy as a kid, I thought (and STILL think) Don Carategena is a SOLID effort... Other than that, I don't really care for much of ANYthinghe has done... For whatever reason I have his entire catalog on my ipod(don't ask me why)... Except  Me, Myself & I which is suppose to besome gem according to the good brotha
NinjaHood (and a few others I guess)...

Well here goes nothing... (I mean that literally)...

Spoiler [+]

Intro
FatJoe sounds pretty angry on this one, I guess we were supposed to havebought his last album... I guess sellin 8K in a week hurts pretty bad.I can't even front, this $##% is actually pretty DOPE... The rapping is above average to Fat Joe standards... The Curtis line @ the end was
laugh.gif
... The production was GREAT... All in all, this is good.
4/5

Valley Of Death
Didn'tRick Ross have a song on his last album with this name??... Didn'tProdigy & Alchemist use this sample on Return Of The Mack??...Nothing new here, Fat Joe (er Cool & Dre) eatin off another Nsplate... He even throws a "#kanyeshrug" line, which could mean one of 2things, he's active on Twitter, or he's on NT... If its the ladder ofthe 2, I'm gonna make sure to NEVER call him "FatJoke" again, cause he was on my block before, and he'd prolly have noproblem comin again. Back to the song, this is a DOPE #** track, the hook needed a lil more thought, but EVERYthingelse is good. His verses are good too... I don't know about theJadakiss like scream after the 2nd verse... This song has a redemptionfeel, I guess he fulfilled that to an extent. Even tho the sample hasbeen used before, it was flipped different, and even BETTER in some aspects here
4.25/5

I Am CRACK
Ithink Juelz had a song named this on his sophmore album that went Gold,but no one seems to own or has even heard it... #kanyeshrug. I guessFat Joe has some sort of ownership of the name cause after all... He IS Crack...
eek.gif
... Good GOD... This $##% is DANGEROUS... I don't know who wrote that FIRST verse, but he better keep him close by... This $##% is AMAZING... Fire the guy that wrote the 2nd verse...
4.75/5

Kilo
This one leaked a few days ago... Once again he's using ANOTHERsample that a N used a few years ago... But back to the song, TheClipse are on this joint doin a Run DMC styled back and fourth (alathre $##% they did on the LAST CNN album that NOonebought)... Pusha begins the song with a story about his friend in jailand an old Spanish man seeing Fat Joe on TV... Sure. The beat on thisjoint is pretty dangerous, Fat Joe, usually a liability on ANYsong, doesn't dissapoint... Cam's verse starts off pretty ******ed,gets stronger towards the end but its nothing to write home about...They should've just had Pusha & Malice spit their own verses...
4/5

Rappers Are In Danger
Rememberwhen rappers used to make statements like this, but it was cause dudesthought they were lyrically superior to the point where they would enda dudes career... Fat Joe on the other hand sounds as if he'sthreatening the saftey of guys. Always good to hear a song with somescratches on it, the beat is pretty DOPE... This sounds like Fat Joe tried to write this himself, I guess that E1 budget can only get you ghostwriters for HALF the album...
3.5/5

Ha Ha (Slow Down)
The 1st single... the song I HATED... Then LOVED. Not much to say about this joint, its pretty much as good as it gets when it comes to Fat Joe... Production is EPIC...Fat Joe's ghostwriter was having a good day, and Young Jeezy was YoungJeezy... There\s really nothin more to say, if you don't feel this songyou don't have a pulse.
4.75/5

If It Ain't About Money
The 2nd single?? I guess... I think an NTer (not named
NinjaHood) predicted this would be a HIT,not sure if he was joking or not. Trey Songz is on this joint... Firstsong that doesn't have that "Darkside" feel, sounds like a mix between"A Milli" and some $##% off Graduation... & I don't know HOW so I won't try to explain... But it works. This is actually a GOOD song, Trey Songz chorus is coo except for the Miami Heat-Lakers line... That was geh. I doubt it WILL be a HIT, but much like "Ha Ha" (Slow Down), it deffinetly deserves to be :smile:: Goes to check out the video:
smile.gif

4.25/5

No Problems
Ithink I heard this beat before... Except Snoop Dogg was on it. FlavaFlav sample @ the beggining... Public Enemy shout out in the 1stverse... This beat is DOPE... Fat Joe's ghostwriterdeffinetly did his thing... Rico Love (who's obviously writing for Joethese days) shows up on the hook here, I guess he's not allowed to rapon tracks anymore after that "Aloha" joint went absolutely NOWHERE... As much as this sounds like "I Wanna Rock", its DOPE in its own right... I actually like this better.
4.5/5

How Did We Get Here
I guess he wants lightening to strike in the SAME place twice... R Kelly's on this joint. The production is DOPE... Kinda reminds me of "Pain" from the Above The Rim soundtrack... This is genuinly a REALLY good song. the rapping is good, the chorus is nice and the production is just flat out EPIC... I can't believe I like this album, I HATE myself.
smh.gif
. This should be a single.
4.75/5

Money Over *#+#+$*
How the hell is Fat Joe gettin all these DOPEbeats?? Is he paying double what good rappers pay?? I couldn't imaginea producer that takes his career serious selling a beat to Joe opposedto a... Juelz Santana or someone like that. This $##% is smoother thansome homeade pudding... Whoever TA is (prolly the other guy writing forhim), he's pretty dope on here... Too Short comes through and does histhing.
4.25/5

Heavenly Father
Now for 11 tracks I've waited for a song to SUCK BALLS and it hasn't come up... Now here's a Lil Wayne feature... Fat Joe spits an introspective verse, and that IS oneof his strong points, quiet as its kept... The hook is one of thosecheesy prayers that you say so you don't go to hell if you die in yoursleep... The production here, while NOT as good as the other $##% on here is still GOOD... The piano more or less makes the beat... I thought Wayne was gonna rap on here?? I guess E1 could ONLYafford him for the hook... Overall its a good introspective song, Joespits some of his most persnal rhymes on the album on here... Itspretty heartfelt.
4/5

I'm Gone
Now how could I hate on a Preemo track?? I don't think I can... But once again I must say, how in the WORLD does Fat Joe have Preemo's number but Steadman & Nasir don't?? I commend Joe cause he ALWAYS jumps on a Preme track, he's NEVERbeen the best lyricist, but I've yet to hear him be his normnal wackself on a Preme track, he steps it up, this track is no different.Sounds like it could've been a bonus track on Jealous Ones Envy. GREAT track... He talks for about 4 minutes, about how he REALLYwas a criminal before he started rapping... Carrying a gun to the everso dangerous Grammy's...The type of stuff mothers are proud to hearabout their sons... Goes on to shout out everyone he EVER met
5/5

At Last Supremecy
What happens when you put 2 WASHED up 90s rapper on the SAME track?? Well if you have a beat as good as this one, you get a DOPE song... I just knew there would be a GARBAGEsong on here... A Busta Rhymes feature hightened the chances of thisbeing the record, but this song is pretty good... The chorus is prettybad tho. Busta just sounds WAAAAY too angry... His music SUCKING is no ones fault other than his old... I don't wanna here you yelling and soundin all violent.
4/5

Verdict:

Maybe my expectations were just SOO lowfor this joint, but this is a damn good album... As he says on "LastSupremecy" this is the "biggest comeback in rap" I wouldn't go thisfar, but from his last album to NOW, he (or his ghostwriters) deffinetly made a HUGEcome up... I went into this album thinkin I wouldn't be able to make itthrough a full listen... No Lie... I brought back like 8 or 9 of thetracks ATLEAST once...

Lyrics have NEVERreally been Fat Joe's strongest feat, I don't think theres anyone thatcan dispute that, but where he lacks lyrically he makes it up with agreat choice of production, and knowing when and where to say what...That alone can go a long way. As I ALWAYS say, the difference between making a CLASSIC, a good album or a bad one is simply ones ability to tell a GOOD idea from a BAD one... & I must say, theres NO bad songs on this album. There's not even ANYthing close to being bad, every song is well worth ATLEASTone listen. I've made my thoughts on Fat Joe and his music quite clear,and to be honest I was more excited to hear this album because I KNEW it was gonna completely SUCK BALLS... Boy was I wrong.

So for the Fab's, Jadakiss's of the world, ONE more reason to be ashamed of yourself, Fat Joe has 1/5 the talent of these guys but this album is BETTER than their ENTIRE catalogs... Not only is this EASILY top 5 this year, I might even like this more than TML (for the moment ATLEAST)... This album is DOPE as hell... It's prolly not gonna change the world or ANYthing, but as I'm a STRONG believer of, "you're ONLY as good as your last album... " It almost pains me to think I have to judge Fat Joe by this album until his NEXT garbage album drops... But it is what it is, the man made a SOLID album...

Standout Tracks:
Vally Of Death
I Am CRACK
Ha Ha (Slow Down)
No Problems
How Did We Get Here
I'm Gone

Overall:

4.33/5

Only thing that was a negative on the album was Busta for real...

and that N Busta Rhyme need to quit...he sounds horrible on that song...

Cosigned on the Busta sentiment. Only track I don't really mess with. He sounded horrible on there.

Originally Posted by ninjahood

Originally Posted by Dead Stokc

War Report 2 > The Darkside

naw, and i LOVE capone-n-noreaga
I don't really love CNN or like FJ but CNN got this...So far the best albums of 2010 are 1.Nas and Damien Marley 2.CNN 3.Eminem 4.Fat Joe.

Originally Posted by RavageBX

Cosigned on the Busta sentiment. Only track I don't really mess with. He sounded horrible on there.
its a bonus track, hence why it sounds outta place after im gone.

I guess I'm in the minority. I actually like that bonus track alot. One of my favorites on the album despite it being "bonus."
Album is dope btw 
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
. Definitely one of my favorite releases this year. Album is too short (no pun) (double entendre double?) which is the only downfall imo.

Didn't know the Busta Bus joint was a bonus track.

I definitely was questioning the sequencing saying how I'm Gone should have been last.

Makes sense now.

I may just delete that bonus. Or at least put it before I'm Gone.

Yea, I was wonderin how you have a track named "I'm Gone" (where you shout out everyone you've ever met) then have a track after it...

With Busta Rhymes of all people...

Back
Top Bottom