A Gentlemen's Point Guard Discussion.

^Btw, KLJ: Just saw your fantasy team and it looks soliddddddd. I have no idea how you're that low in the standings, I've been busy and forgot to switch my players about 5 times but oh well. I like that team you've got there
TEAM CLEVELAND CAVS
James,Pavlovic,Hughes,Gooden,IIgauskas,Varejao,Marshall ,Da.Jones,Pollard,Snow,Wesley,Newble,Gibson,Brown​

In regards to statistics and why I think Paul is the best point guard, you should read beyond the original post.

Good call on Billups though; completely disregarded him.
TEAM GRAMMAR POLICE
whywesteppin 23ska909red02 KingLouisXIV DS 530s Finest sir hendrix Rexanglorum Kiddin Like Jason
TEAMCOWBOYS

^^yeah sorry I didn't see your other post, I'll take a look later; have a math midterm today got to study for first
fs: mili IV, black V, carolina X, bred XI low, bred XII, french XII, flint XIII, bred XIV, black XIV, black XIX se
all size 10-10.5, ds to nds, cleaning out my closet

turn the music up
turn me down

the thing with point gaurds is "what kind of situation are they in?'

the Jazz and Hornets need Deron Williams and Chris Paul to score if they're going to be successful, which they can do. point gaurds are the "quarterbacks" of their teams. it's their job to lead the team.

the only way to determine who's better is to put Chris Paul on the Suns and see how they do and vice versa with Nash.

you can't go wrong with Chris Paul, Deron Williams, Steve Nash, Jason Kidd, and Tony Parker. it's really hard to say who's better.
BELIEVE​

I'd take Kidd, Nash, Deron and Baron over him without hesitation.
TEAM BEN GORDON
"...he got changed over his change a block off Ashland

who are you guys kidding?

stephon marbury is the best point guard in the NBA.

nah but seriously, i agree wholeheartedly with ska
Quote:
Fans who use stats and stats alone as conclusive evidence for their argument are forgetting that numbers don't account for everything.

I would choose Kidd over any PG in the league, and there is no stat for his hustle, vision, and court leadership.

..with so much personality,
what do you want from me?
i could be by myself and enjoy the company..
but i'd rather be with her

we're not even a week into the season you cant use those stats to make a point
TeamCowboysthis is the year... 900

1. Kidd: Presence, defensive ability against all three perimeter positions, the best vision of them all, pass first point man, faster than most PG's even at an advanced players age, has command and makes the right decision with the ball, every time. Not a consistent outside threat but seems to make big shots. Doesn't turn the ball over very much.

2. Billups: Defense, Big shot maker, still shoots a bit too much but his team still gets their shots, strong and physically capable of Guarding three positions as well, Good court vision. Takes care of the ball well.

3. Nash: Great offensive tools, fantasic court vision, but no D. However, he gets into defensive postion very well to catch charges. Dribbles a bit too much, but doesn't commit too many turnovers.

4.Tony Parker: Smart, good shooter after putting in the work, decent court vision, best speed out of all, good on the ball defender, but gets in trouble below the line, good in protecting the ball. Doesn't command the team, as Tim Duncan does.

5. Tie Williams and Paul, neither has been under any serious pressure as of yet.

BASKETBALL IS A BROTHERHOOD

"but alot of the things Kobe does I would never have done."

MJ in GQ

Saying your unbiased, followed by Paul is the best PG, is completely contradicting yourself.

Paul is real good, his handles are incredible and his floor vision and leadership are up there with the best.

However, he cant shoot well, and Nash can do everything Paul can do in terms of passing and running the show, AND he can score from anywhere. This is not debatable if your wanting Paul to be above kidd and nash.

1. Nash
1. Kidd
3. Williams
4. Paul
5. Billups

Until Baron does it consistently I don't see him on this list
Team49ers
XVI . XIX . XXIII . XXIV . XXIX
49er's, Giants, A's, Warriors, ASU​

Quote:
5. Tie Williams and Paul, neither has been under any serious pressure as of yet

TEAMlateNIGHT
>WE NEVER SLEEP<
Lets go Bulls, UCLA,Dodgers and Cowboys!
TEAMCOWBOYS

Kidd is IMO the greatest PG of all time. He may not score consistently but his court vision/passing ability is unmatched. Not even Magic. If you watch Kidd play a full season, you would understand my opinion.

And KLJ, Didn't you become a Hornet fan because of Chris Paul? Weren't you a Korver/Philly fan before that?
TEAMNEWYORKMETS​

Williams played well in the playoffs last year, but he hasn't faced the pressure that the others have. It'll come though, but he and Paul just haven't had the big stage yet.

MJ in GQ

Post Magic Johnson, Jason Kidd has been the BEST PG in the NBA bar none. I know Steve Nash has the accolades, and he deserved what he got. However, if I am picking one guy who I want running my team in today's NBA, it's Jason Kidd. He should get interest on some of the contracts he helped some of his teammates get. His court vision/basketball IQ is second to none, and I only wish that he can get a ring before he retires from the L. I think he still has another 2-3 years left playing ball at a high level. I don't think that NJ will be winning any championships, but hoepfully he can go on to a true contender *cough* Dallas *cough* and retire on top. Also, what is totally overlooked is his perimeter defense. Even at 34 years old, he is a tough match-up. There are a lot of young guns in the NBA like Paul, Williams, etc, but none should even be mentioned as an heir apparent to Kidd. Kidd to me is one of the GREATEST PG's to ever come into the NBA.....the league is in good hands with their young talent, but there is a huge gap in abilities when comparing them to a guy like Kidd.

Double Js, what about Payton? I like Kidd after Magic, but bar none? Payton at least belongs in there because he could take over a game with his D and his scoring if needed. Plus he was a much better shooter. His passing certainly isn't up there with Kidd, but he was a better passer than Kidd was a shooter.

I love where Williams and Paul are headed though. Big things are coming from these two. As of now, I would say
Kidd, Nash, Williams, Paul, Billups, Parker. I think by the end of the this season, Wiliams and Paul will both pass Nash due to their D and growth shooting wise.
MIAMI DOLPHINS
LA LAKERS
CHICAGO CUBS
MIAMI HURRICANES

I made a similar post last year about cp3 being the best pg in basketball.....

....still a lot of non believers out there.
I hope I die before i get old.

No doubt Payton was a beast but he had a lot more talent on his team than Kidd ever had and I still think Kidd made his teams better.

His D was ridiculous but Kidd was better in basically every other area and he made his teammates astronomically better than Payton did. Payton is still one of my all-time favs though.
808. PERIOD.

20% off karmaloop.com with code: JBOAT

Osem87:
probably even weaker than nash maybe, who knows

I don't doubt that. I remember Iverson backing him down once or twice a couple games ago.
TEAMMARVEL​
With great power comes great responsibility​
teamautobot​
T R A N S F O R M E R S​

Are you Ladiesman217?​

I think a very underrated point guard is Tony Parker. He's shown flashes of his ability to pass but he never shows up on stat boards because the Spurs style of play runs through Duncan so often. He can get to the rim pretty easily, has a very nice mid-range game, and is married to Eva Longoria.
TEAMSSB
Kirby​

4L8O15S16T23!42​

Quote:
2. Billups: Defense, Big shot maker, still shoots a bit too much but his team still gets their shots, strong and physically capable of Guarding three positions as well, :smh:
smh.gif
Clutch.

Nascar and Poker ARE NOT SPORTS!!!

Quote:
Saying your unbiased, followed by Paul is the best PG, is completely contradicting yourself.

No, because me being a Hornets fan really has nothing to do with thinking he is the best point guard in the NBA.

Quote:
However, he cant shoot well, and Nash can do everything Paul can do in terms of passing and running the show, AND he can score from anywhere. This is not debatable if your wanting Paul to be above kidd and nash.

Again, I'm talking about all-around. Chris Paul rebounds, so that puts him above Nash, and he is more of a scoring threat as Kidd (who also rebounds), so that's my main reasoning. Like I stated, I think the three are equally as good at passing, so it then comes down to other things, such as rebounding.

Quote:
And KLJ, Didn't you become a Hornet fan because of Chris Paul? Weren't you a Korver/Philly fan before that?
ed following the Hornets because of Chris Andersen. When Chris Paul got drafted by them in 2005, that's when I declared myself "a fan".

I was never exactly a Sixers "fan"; just followed them because of Korver. I still follow them, and am extremely critical of them, so I guess I'm somewhat "a fan", but the Hornets are my team of choice.
TEAM GRAMMAR POLICE
whywesteppin 23ska909red02 KingLouisXIV DS 530s Finest sir hendrix Rexanglorum Kiddin Like Jason
TEAMCOWBOYS

"I would like to see evidence of Billups ever sucessfully guraurding a small forward over the course of an entire game."

That wasn't very smart. In fact, that came off quite dumb.

The NBA isn't a straight up and defend league. You are put into traps and defensive situations, that will leave a point man defending a small forward after a pick, or even a back door cut. They play lanes as well, but when Billups gets caught in those situations, he does far better than Nash.

MJ in GQ

Back
Top Bottom