A tat on the side of the neck....what type of job are u setting yourself up for?

Nope, not with that much. I haven't seen tons of people who look like him period. I know realtors with tats though, in fact, the most successful one herein town hoops with us and has some forearm ink. When you're doing business with him, you're talking to him because of the deal he's offering yourelative to what you can get from his competition, his tattoo assuming you even know it is, or should be, irrelevant. You're shooting yourself in the footif you turn away business because of trivial things like a tattoo.

I've never seen a janitor with tons of tats either, and if I did I wouldn't be stupid enough to imply causation when there's obviously a myriad ofother factors that likely came into play and superceded the tattoos. Like I said, when I was working as an audio/visual tech for "upper class"parties, we had a great deal of CEOs, lawyers, realtors, Chamber of Commerce, some big money in the building and tattoos weren't as rare as you'dthink. One guy, white guy, had a full sleeve with colors and everything that went all the way to his hands and up to his neck out of his shirt and had on ashort sleeve shirt. If I remember correctly, he was with S.A.I.C. My boss had a forearm tattoo and wore short sleeves all the time and he was GarrisonInformation Security Officer for the entire Fort Sill military base. I don't know what the writing on his said but then underneath it, it had a horse shoe.My sister has a colored rose on her neck, has worked for a bank, real estate, supply in the Army, all kinds of jobs.

ap_cat01_070627_ssh.jpg

is a company computer guy though

i got a tat that was within regs in the military, but when i got out, corporate institutions (read old uppity white folks) had a problem with it, andwouldn't let me wear short sleeves to work. imagine having to wear a turtleneck/makeup everyday, even in the summer, just to keep your job. not worth it.

I got "Hate" on my forearm....people think I am crazy. I didn't think it would grant so much attention..

Originally Posted by DatZNasty

Nope, not with that much. I haven't seen tons of people who look like him period. I know realtors with tats though, in fact, the most successful one here in town hoops with us and has some forearm ink. When you're doing business with him, you're talking to him because of the deal he's offering you relative to what you can get from his competition, his tattoo assuming you even know it is, or should be, irrelevant. You're shooting yourself in the foot if you turn away business because of trivial things like a tattoo.

I've never seen a janitor with tons of tats either, and if I did I wouldn't be stupid enough to imply causation when there's obviously a myriad of other factors that likely came into play and superceded the tattoos. Like I said, when I was working as an audio/visual tech for "upper class" parties, we had a great deal of CEOs, lawyers, realtors, Chamber of Commerce, some big money in the building and tattoos weren't as rare as you'd think. One guy, white guy, had a full sleeve with colors and everything that went all the way to his hands and up to his neck out of his shirt and had on a short sleeve shirt. If I remember correctly, he was with S.A.I.C. My boss had a forearm tattoo and wore short sleeves all the time and he was Garrison Information Security Officer for the entire Fort Sill military base. I don't know what the writing on his said but then underneath it, it had a horse shoe. My sister has a colored rose on her neck, has worked for a bank, real estate, supply in the Army, all kinds of jobs.

ap_cat01_070627_ssh.jpg

is a company computer guy though
Obviously, there are exceptions to the rule. However, the bottom line is visible tatoos will put you at a disadvantage in corporate America. Allother factors constant, the guy that looks clean cut will mostly likely get the job over the guy that looks like Travis Barker. You have a good point though: atatoo does not automatically relegate someone to some lowly position, or eliminate any chance of a successful career. That is indeed a drastic overstatement.Some successful people have tats, BUT tats can certainly be a disadvantage and any young person pursuing a career should refrain from getting visible tats.

having visible tats deffinitely slims ur chances of getting a good paying job. if u don't think so you're a fool.
unless you are the ceo, the workfield is all about competition. and appearance is al part of it too. i've seen vp's with years of experience with acompany almost get fired because of tats being exposed. one top worker (who was great at his job) was straight up told, "if u don't have your tattooscovered up by the end of lunch you're fired!"

Folks with prior military service that are very qualified have a bit of an edge when it comes to getting jobs in the corporate world, and alot of these guysare heavily tattooed. I don't how ink affects your ability to do the job. But unfortunately you have those tools judge you based on that.

Originally Posted by struckmatch

having visible tats deffinitely slims ur chances of getting a good paying job. if u don't think so you're a fool.
unless you are the ceo, the workfield is all about competition. and appearance is al part of it too. i've seen vp's with years of experience with a company almost get fired because of tats being exposed. one top worker (who was great at his job) was straight up told, "if u don't have your tattoos covered up by the end of lunch you're fired!"
Was this 'top-worker' hired with his tattoo? Or whats the deal with that? Because unless he walked in with a tattoo on his face, a la MikeTyson...I don't see why he would suddenly go from being a 'top worker' to being threatened with being fired for having a tattoo. Where was thetattoo at? Surely it was concealable in some way?

Originally Posted by Dr Spaceman

Folks with prior military service that are very qualified have a bit of an edge when it comes to getting jobs in the corporate world, and alot of these guys are heavily tattooed. I don't how ink affects your ability to do the job. But unfortunately you have those tools judge you based on that.
Aren't a lot of forms of tattoos (sleeves, etc.) banned by certain branches of the military? I'm not positive, but I could've sworn Iheard this.

Originally Posted by Joseph Camel Jr

Originally Posted by Dr Spaceman

Folks with prior military service that are very qualified have a bit of an edge when it comes to getting jobs in the corporate world, and alot of these guys are heavily tattooed. I don't how ink affects your ability to do the job. But unfortunately you have those tools judge you based on that.
Aren't a lot of forms of tattoos (sleeves, etc.) banned by certain branches of the military? I'm not positive, but I could've sworn I heard this.
Yeah, but the bans only came into effect recently. Actually, I think some branches always had them but just didn't enforce them too rigorouslydue to recruitment demands...

Originally Posted by SneakerHeathen

W/E, live and let live.

Why not do something just because you have to appear a certain way for others? So you can get a "good job"?

Sad the society we live in....

We live our lives simply to conform to social norms and then we die, just another face....Might aswell be faceless...

Might as well do what you want to do while you're still young.
blah blah society isn't the way I want it to be blah blah blah
eyes.gif

i have my moms name on my neck n its not even big. n got it low def cant see it with collar shirts and some tees

eyes.gif
at most of these replies

It is your body and you have the freedom to express yourself however you choose. But your appearance and the way you express yourself has a significant impacton how others will judge you. (So go get an "Only God can judge me" tat) Eh whatever, keep fighting the power youngin.

I don't have a problem with very visible ink. What bothers me is how all these lil Ns have the kneck tats thinking they don't still need to impressanybody. They see MADE dudes on TV w/ them that they look up to.

If you need a tat on your kneck to prove to yourself that you are not just a sheep in society, sorry but point blank you're a weak individual."I'm expressing myself, it's who I am." That 's fine but it isn't what corporate America looks like. You may not like it that way andmaybe it isn't "right" but that IS how it IS. And I don't remember anybody saying life is fair. The thread is "What type of job are yousetting yourself up for?" And I would say, yes you are limiting your career opportunities.

I have a tatt on my neck that is visible when I wear a dress shirt. I also work as a hospital coordinator for a fortune 50 company. My tatt on my neck has alotof meaning to me. I do agree that alot of people will look at you at certain way because of something like a tattoo on your neck but dont limit yourself. Ihave never been to a job interview in my life and not got the job. I think it has alot to do with how you carry yourself and what your qualifications are.

OP is right the corporate world will look at you a certain way but it doesnt completely limit you. So therefore let him live if he comes crying to you in 5years that its stopping him from getting a job. Tell him he should have got a higher GPA and went to school after college then he'd have nothing to cryabout. Education>Appearance

Back
Top Bottom