ACL Tear: Update on Page 2

Hope your injury heals sooner than expected... :smokin
smokin.gif

^ Sad to say, ACL's don't heal. Best bet is to strengthen my legs/thighs so it can support my knees better.

Regardless, thanks for the encouragement.
------------

It's so hard to Love when there's so much to Hate.

Paolo!! Sorry to hear that man...Hope you recover well and do well with the rehab. I known a few people who recovered quite well from ACL (partial tears) and they're playing ball again. As you mentioned, just stick to the arduous rehab!! Cheers mate!!! :pimp:
pimp.gif
:pimp:
pimp.gif
:pimp:
pimp.gif

Update:

My knee finally gave way the other night playing ball. I'm sure I blew out my ACL completely as I heard the infamous pop. Hoping that there's nothing else damaged.

I went to about three weeks of rehab and I feel it was useless. I twisted my knee as I was anticipating to catch the ball off a fastbreak attempt. I can actually replay the whole incident in my head. My friend who saw it swear it was a very ugly incident.

Anyhow, will be going under the knife by October.
------------

hey gameover, i feel what you're going through right now. I tore my ACL way back april 2004. At first I thought it was just a sprained knee, I went for a rebound and landed awkwardly on a single leg. I suddenly felt my knee joint pop as if it swung left to right in a single motion. I couldn't get up that time and i rushed myself to medical city to have an x-ray. According to the results and from my attending physician, it was just a mild swelling of the knee. And so here I was, being a bball addict, rested my knee for a week and played the next weekend. First touch of the ball, I attempted to shake of my defender when all of a sudden I fell on the ground. It was then that I realized that I may have to look into the fact that there was a tear on my knee because I had no lateral mobility.

I had an MRI in Cardinal Santos the week after and true enough, my ACL was torn and I had a partial MCL tear as well. At June 2004 I had an arthroscopic ACL reconstruction at Makati Med. My ortho was Dr. Antonio Rivera, he was very much recommended by my folks. I heard that he used to be head of the PBA medical team back in the days. Anyways, my rehab took me just a month because my health card only allowed a maximum of 12 sessions a year, which sucks. After that, I devoted my time to personal exercises that will help speed up the recovery process. Immediately after the operation, once the immobilizer has been removed and the wound exposed, you'll notice that your weak hamstring will lose a lot of mass compared to the healthy one. You'll really have to dedicate yourself to a lot of strenghtening exercises such as calf raises and simply walking up and down the stairs.

It took me roughly 4 months before I touched a basketball again but the first time I endured competitive basketball was 8 months after the operation.

It's gonna be rough at first but once you've fully recovered your knee will be stronger than before with the proper therapy and exercise.

I don't mean to scare you off, hope my experience will help you out somehow. Let me know if I can be of any help. :smile:
smile.gif

^Thanks man. Yeah it helps a lot actually.

Just a few questions for you...

1. How much did it cost with Tony Rivera? He is an option for me as he is also part of my HMO network.

2. What graft did you get?

3. Silly question... where can i get an immobilizer? I don't want to get it from a hospital cause they say it's more expensive...
------------

Quote:
they say that after surgery and rehab..it should come back stronger than before..who is doing your surgery? both my uncle and cousin got Dr Canlas to do their operation

He was also the one who looked at my ankle when I had a soft tissue injury a little more than a month ago! He's a good doctor!

Immobilizer is something you can ger from anyone you know who's had an ACL operation. I don't know where mine is though. You can buy from Mercury Drug store but i suggest you borrow from someone. You only get to use the immobilizer for 3 to 4 days after the operation... I only used it for 2 days before Dr. Canlas told me: kung kaya mo na, wag mo na gamitin.

Contrary to the fact that your knee will be stronger after rehab: IT'LL ONLY HOLD TRUE IF YOU ARE DEDICATED TO YOUR REHAB. This is hard to do as most people have work, school, etc.

I've mentioned before that Dr. Canlas is the best option for ACL surgery and I still stand firm on that. For rehab, do NOT go to hospitals - those places are more suited for non-sports rehab. Go to Moro Lorenzo or Green Valley because they focus on getting you back on the court.

I did my rehab everyday (M to F) first 4 months and the went 4 days a week for the final 3 months (Hamstring graft). Compared to other ACL victims, I was able to get back on the court faster, with less hesitations, than most. Its all in the rehab...

gameover, just read what happened. regards and hoping for the best pre!
"Once you get into the moment, you know you're there. The crowd gets quiet. Things start moving slowly. You start to see the court very well. I saw that moment, and I took advantage of it."

- Michael Jordan, after winning Game 6 of the 1998 NBA Finals

Here you go:

1. The total operation cost me around 110k but I only paid for my immobilizer which cost around 2000+ i think because misc expenses were not included in my coverage, the whole operation was covered by our HMO including the therapy sessions in Phil. Orthopedic Institute. I just can't remember how much the breakdown was for the surgeon and for the anaesthesiologist. I'll see if I can dig up my medical bill and will let you know.

2. I got the patellar tendon graft. I preferred the bone to bone healing process.

3. About the immobilizer, I'll be glad to lend you mine. I'll just have to go look for it. Just let me know. :smile:
smile.gif

^flipjumpman1: thanks man! i sent you a message thru ezinbox.
------------

Damn...I was actually looking forward to hit u up when i visit to see if i can run with you and your boys for a few games.

That sucks...but i wish you a speedy recovery and hopefully, you'll come back as strong as ever.
-------------
aim: buttahlikeparkay

Chad Johnson on being covered: "It's just impossible,'' Johnson said, with a straight face. "It's not who I'm playing. It can't be done, and I've come to that conclusion. If I had to stop myself, I probably wouldn't be able to do it, either.''

Quote:
Damn...I was actually looking forward to hit u up when i visit to see if i can run with you and your boys for a few games.

That sucks...but i wish you a speedy recovery and hopefully, you'll come back as strong as ever.

Thanks man. Let me know when you're in town. You can play with my group if you want.
------------

gameover, where and when does your group play, baka pwede tayo mag setup ng friendly games ng aming grupo, kahit weekday. we play sa csa, every thurs and sat. sayang di ka makalaro if ever, pagaling mo muna yan.
[/b]​

Back
Top Bottom