Adidas NMD thread

Extra butter sold out. I was like 15th in line and didnt get anything
Hate when that happens... 
mean.gif

You and I both. I usually assume they a. don't know what they're talking about or b. they're lying that they buy the same size in all shoes or C. they're seriously confused, meaning they actually don't actually mean all brands but just a specific model of shoe.

I have NMD's and uncaged that are US 9.5  - 10 and I'm a US 10.5-11 in all brands I've come across. I was able to fit a size 10 instapump fury recently but keep in mind Reebok is owned by Adidas. The Reebok LX 8500's run small so I do a 10 in those vs my normal 10.5 in Reebok's.

Back to the NMD's.

I own somewhere upwards of 15 pairs, regular R1's, City Socks and Primeknits and I can tell you as fact the sizing is all over the place on a few depending on material. I have found the primeknits and UB uncaged to be the most forgiving in terms of feet.

I had to buy a size US 11 in the 1st Champs Exclusive and those fit exact with just a little space in the toe box. That was the weirdest one. Part II of that pack is a US 10.5. I generally order all in 9.5 - 10 when I can find them (for retail) and I've been good so far

The Triple Black R1 looks like a pair of restaurant kitchen shoes to me
LOL I'm not sure about that and if I had ever seen kitchen shoes that looked this nice and were comfortable I'd buy a whole box. You got a picture of these mythical kitchen shoes they remind you of?

For those wondering these XR1's run mega huge. Had a few dudes that were true size 13's (myself included) going down a full size. One guy comfortably went to an 11.5.  If you've got wide feet vs. long feet for your size (you know what I mean), I'd go a full size down.

Just a question... is this how the Adidas shopping experience usual is? I normally grab Js and other Nike items from either the footsites of NDC -- and I cannot remember ever having such a poor shopping experience. If you tell me why Nike less than 30,000 OVOs, I get it. But considering adidas overall market share, you'd think they'd be able to manufacture a few more pairs. Maybe I'm overthinking it, but today's experience is some ********.
They're using the "artificial scarcity" model which had me absolutely salty even though I've worked in marketing and advertising most of my career and should get exactly what they're doing. It's no different than when Nike did it hard on exclusivity, SUPREME, BAPE, AAPE, KITH etc. There is a psychology component to this I won't get into because a. it's lengthy and b. it should be obvious if you're closing examining the hype and emotions they're creating.

This doesn't make it any less frustrating if you genuinely like the shoe and the comfort of boost which is my boat. I don't care about the hype.

Numbers on many of the PK's I've suspected are much much lower than 30K and when I did get insider information on a particular color it was less than 12,000 worldwide. The pair they had only available through snapchat was like 400 if I'm not mistaken. Historically what Adidas does is release in small numbers not anywhere close to meeting consumer demand, just in case things go wrong and then they over restock the model until interest has completely waned. They're not doing that on the PK's though. They have a different plan for those and their main purpose is to push the sales of the regular NMD's. Just think of all the ways in our lives we end up settling for just good enough or close to our highest aspirations vs insistently demanding better or the best.

If the sneaker community had refused to buy any of the regular NMD's and we had let them sit and then 50K heads or more had signed a petition asking Adidas to make more PK's that's exactly what we would have gotten but instead we've all settled for the bait and switch. It's an easy recipe. Make 14,000 of these, make them extremely hard to get guaranteeing the vast majority L's and then when I make 60,000 of something close and make it just easy enough and at a slightly lower price point but still not too easy you're going to buy it.

As a Sr User Experience Designer I can tell you it's an extremely frustrating user experience and the ADC website is one of the worst I've ever encountered. I suspect an audit of their site would take me months if I factored in user and stakeholder interviews. I think their long term strategy is deeply psychological (which brands isn't?) and when they've completely rinsed them out and people are absolutely tired of them they're going to either do a lot of re-release's and adaptions of some of the more popular themes or vault them for the future.

For those wondering these XR1's run mega huge. Had a few dudes that were true size 13's (myself included) going down a full size. One guy comfortably went to an 11.5.  If you've got wide feet vs. long feet for your size (you know what I mean), I'd go a full size down.
That sounds about right. Like I said above, I'm a 10.5 - 11 in most brands and have multiple NMD R1's, City Socks and UB Uncaged in a size 9.5.

Guys, I'm still trying to cart the R1 triple black. The add to cart is spinning for more than 2 hours now... Is an happy ending possible ?

I could kill Adidas IT manager... There is still a chance or can I give up?

Last edited:
is it still possible to come across a triple black r1 in stores for the following weeks? online release got me mad. thanks

Back
Top Bottom