adidas TS Commander Review

lg061019ryl.jpg

I just got these last night, and played about three hours (8 games to 15 by 2's and 1's) in themimmediately. First off, for those who haven't read my reviews, I am 5'10", 200 lb. point. Still play a driving game with kick out three's andtight defense. And away we go:

Right out of the box, theseshoes feel light. Not Hyped-up Dunk light, but lighter than a shoe this stable and supportive should be. This is not a flimsy, cheap light, though. Like Istated, you can tell from the heel Bounce unit and clear heel cup, along with a pronounced midsole wrap around the heel and midfoot, this shoe is built forstability.

No fit sleeve like the Creator, but the tongue is made like the KGbounce, a sort of spandex-mesh that forms to the foot. It feels thin, but the padding is dense and never allowed for any lace pressure or discomfort, and Iwear my shoes tied as tight as possible (I hate any movement of my foot in the shoe, in any direction). The inner is not lined, but there were no chafing orrubbing issues anywhere. I wore adidas no show Ultratech socks, and there was absolutely no discomfort at all around the top lining of the ankle collar.

The strap and black are sueded, and the inner padding is justthat: straight foam pad, no gimmicks, and it feels great. The ankle strap really locks the ankle in, and kept any minute heel slip from happening (although theBounce heel cup keeps this from happening anyway). The only complaint I have about the strap is the lace placement. There are actually lace loops on the insideof the strap on both sides, which helps secure the ankle, but this also puts the knot from the laces directly behind the strap. This didn't really botherme, but it could cause a pressure spot for some.

The fit is true to size (I currently ball in Zoom 96, Zoom 95,T-Mac VI, AZK I, LB IV, and these are all size 10.5). The fit feels like a second skin at first, but after playing for about 30 minutes, I had to stop andre-tighten once. The forefoot is not as form-fitting as the Creator (or the Zoom 95), which is obviously because these are made for bigger men and the Creatoris for guards. However, I could feel my foot sliding over the outer edge on a couple of hard cuts (I feel the stripe placement of the Creator would help guardsin this area). Not an extreme amount of movement, but enough that I noticed.

The support in these, again, is a very strong point. The anklestrap, while supportive of the ankle, allows for a real feel for freedom of movement and a quicker feel than other ankle strap shoes like the LB IV and NikeElite series. You may be able to see from the picture, but there are flex notches cut into the shoe just between the blue and black materials above the topmidfoot lace loop. This allows for a comfortable, natural feeling while playing by making the shoe less stiff and restrictive. I especially noticed this whenshooting jumpers. Most people know when you bend to jump shoot, the area in front of the ankle is stressed, and if the shoe is too stiff, this creates majordiscomfort (a la 2K3). These flex notches eliminate that. The midfoot stripe placement cuts down on motion inside the shoe, and for once I did notice thestripe-support system working (adidas has claimed this for years).

Cushioning in these is great, the best I have felt from adidassince the a3 Superstar Ultra (please retro). I changed the Comfort insole (thick foam, normal PU insert)

originally in the shoe to the Cushion w/ adiprene inserts, and thefeel automatically livened. There is a bouncy feel, almost like an Asics running shoe, to the shoe with these, where the Comfort just feels thick and soft. Theshoe itself has very little cushion in the internal midsole, with most of the additional cushion coming from the black outer midsole foam. Court feel is great,even for a big man shoe, with a low, dense forefoot.

I have been very critical of adidas traction lately, but these aregreat. The old Jabbar herringbone makes a return appearance (from the KG Bounce), and that puts these on another level. It was so good on the indoor collegecourt that I almost rolled my ankle trying to slide around a high pick. About time.

The shoe shows very little wear from the first wearing. Of coursethe patent wrinkled, but it is very minimal. Midsole shows no compression creases yet. The upper shows a surprising resistance to scuffs. Most patent scuffs onthe first step, it seems.

For a shoe supposedly geared to big men/post up players, I foundit to be a very good all around shoe. It may not feel as quick as Creators or light as Pro Model 08, it was a great shoe to play in, and I actually had funbecause of them. I am past the flash stage, so I was a little leery of the patent colorways, but I bit the bullet and grabbed them. I haven't had this manycomments from other players on a shoe in years. Most of the people at UTA play in Jordans or Nikes, but I had at least 5 people ask where I got them, and Ioverheard three or four talk about how nice they were. Overall, I am very quickly becoming an adidas disciple.

Absolutely wonderful review. Thank you for taking the time to write it right after you got them and wore them. I loved the aesthetics of the Commander andCreator since they first came out but haven't "bit the bullet" to purchase them for retail in a time like this, knowing they will end up going onsale. But, after your review I think you just helped the three stripes get a sale. Not sure which one to go with yet but I guess I'll decide when I trythem on.

Can I ask why you went with the Commanders over the Creators? I personally have used the 96's and AZKI's (liked them) and now using the Kobe III's(like them as well). I'm heavy for my height and I guess I'm just looking for something more stable/solid/durable. I just purchased a pair of LebronV's so I'm kind of debating whether or not to use them or purchase a pair of the Commanders or Creators.

Your input/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again for the great review.

Originally Posted by dnvtran

Can I ask why you went with the Commanders over the Creators? I personally have used the 96's and AZKI's (liked them) and now using the Kobe III's (like them as well). I'm heavy for my height and I guess I'm just looking for something more stable/solid/durable. I just purchased a pair of Lebron V's so I'm kind of debating whether or not to use them or purchase a pair of the Commanders or Creators.

Your input/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again for the great review.
Exactly why I went with the Commanders. Not that the Creators can't handle bigger sizes; they probably can. I just liked the idea of stabilityat this time. Also, the ankle set-up, with the strap and flex notches, just intrigued me. These shoes look like the ankle would be restricted, but they are noteven cut as high as the Zoom 96. The next pair I get, possibly this weekend, will be a pair of Creators, so I think you are right with either pair. I paid $70with F&F, by the way.

I appreciate the quick reply. Your review and the friends and family sale going on this weekend were the little nudges I needed to get either of them. I've checked out a few champs and footlockers in the area and the creators and commanders seem pretty rare. I've seen the commanders at one storeI've been to, out of maybe 5-6 (Northern Virginia Area).

BTW... Finishline has the black and red ones for $80 and you can always use the $10 off coupon incase you wanted either one of the colors that your store mightnot have.

Thanks again.

Damn good review duke, covered pretty much all the questions I would have had. Don't talk trash about my 2K3's though, haha. But seriously, I know whatyou mean about that part.

Any info. on how the Creator lows are? Are they just low-top versions of the regular Creators or something different?

I like where Adidas bball is right now, I heard a lot of good things about the 08 Pro Models. Based on some other informed opinions it looks like they'reheading in a good direction. I'm still thinking about picking up a pair of Lightspeeds, let alone Creators, and part of me still regrets choosing the GilII's over them way back when.

I know about the 2K3, Deezy, and I agree, I love them. One of the best Zoom inplementations ever. The ankle never bothered me either, but I just thought Iwould throw that in their. I haven't seen the Creator low's yet, but from another review here and talking to my FL hook-up, the are just like the midsbut cut off at the colored band under the ankle. Same fit sleeve and Formotion. And the Pro Model 08 is a great shoe. I have had my pair for about 2 months,and the new FormFit footbed insoles and ankle collar combination make it extremely comfortable. And check out your local FL for the Lightspeeds. The manager atmine said they were $35 right now and tried to talk me into getting another pair with the F&F.

I also love these shoes!!! They are so good for ballin in. I am wearin em for this entire season. Grip is good, ankle support, just everything.

Thanks Duke.

I gotta wear stuff in my rotation and put it to rest before even thinking about picking up something else though, you know how it is.

Exactly. I open boxes in the closet that I haven't worn in months, it is like I just bought new ones. My wife hates me right now.

Duke, how was the midfoot/arch support? It sounds like it comes with an extra pair of insoles, is that true?

Arch/midfoot support was great for me. I just got over plantar fasciitis, so I was monitoring that, and I never felt any twinge at all. The stripes really dokeep your foot over the footbed. There is no Torsion support whatsoever though (like the old adidas). The insole itself has very little arch support, but theblack midsole does a good job of providing a shaped support on the medial side. There are also 2 insoles, like the TS Pro Model last year. One has the adipreneheel and forefoot (called the Cushion System) and the other is just a thick, black PU, called the Comfort system. The Comfort provided a snugger fit, but theCushion provided more response while playing, and held up better so far. I will be putting these through my second test tomorrow night, and will updateWednesday.

^^^^guess that proves once and for all that adiprene is the worst cushioning technology ever lol. i hate to even call it technology. adiprene is the mainreason why i
wont wear adidas to play ball anymore. i was thinking about getting the creators but based on what you are saying i might get the commanders so i can take thattrash
out instead of being stuck with it in the midsole with the creators.

"guess that proves once and for all that adiprene is the worst cushioning technology ever lol."

I hope you're not saying that literally.

Originally Posted by mt3130

^^^^guess that proves once and for all that adiprene is the worst cushioning technology ever lol. i hate to even call it technology. adiprene is the main reason why i
wont wear adidas to play ball anymore. i was thinking about getting the creators but based on what you are saying i might get the commanders so i can take that trash
out instead of being stuck with it in the midsole with the creators.
I'm sorry, but I don't understand how I "proved" adiprene was the worst cushioning technology ever. If this is sarcasm, I guessI missed it. I know from your other posts you try different brands, as do I. I have never had an adidas shoe lose air pressure, blow an air bubble, rip out onthe Shox unit, or completely pull the laces through the lace holes and rip out. Adiprene may not bounce or spring or be cushy, but I like the firmresponsiveness and impact protection. I promise, both these and the Creators are a step up from last year.

it was a bit of sarcasm. i was referring to how you are using the PU insole rather than the adiprene insole which is supposed to be the premier cushioningsystem of adidas.
i did try these shoes on myself and i found it humorous that the shoe feels significantly more comfortable with the adiprene removed from the shoes.

in all seriousness though, i really do hate adiprene cushioning. while all the things you said are true about blowing an air bubble/ripping shox/etc., at leastthey function
before they break. poor quality of nike is what makes me try other brands. but the adiprene simply feels like a foam thats super hard like someone cut a pieceof a midsole out
of a $10 k-mart shoe and gave it a name. theres no impact protection to it whatsoever.

finding out that i could remove it from the shoe with the commanders is the reason i gave these a shot and i actually think i will purchase a pair this weekendwhen i get paid,
so i do thank you for the review. oh and i do really like the formotion as used in the creators, but the adiprene in the forefoot made me not buy them becausewhen i tried them on
there was a noticeable dropoff in cushioning from the heel to the forefoot. i feel the same way about the bounce commander shoes. adidas basketball shoes fitmy feet perfectly and i
really like their designs, but everytime i wear an adiprene "cushioned" shoe i get terrible shin splints that go away immediately after going back toan adequately cushioned shoe.

I think you mis-read what I wrote. I put the adiprene insole in and took out the PU. To me, I could noticeably feel the denser cushioning of adiprene and itjust felt more responsive while playing. The PU are thicker and therefore contribute to a tighter fit, though. Also, I really hope you get the Commanders. Iplayed for 3 hours Tuesday night in them, and I still have the same opinion. They are a great shoe, and all three new models (Pro Model 08, Creator, Commander)are definite steps up from the past 2-3 years of adidas.

Hi Guys,

I was debating between the two. I saw the white KG bounce commanders and their styling and bounce shock absorbtion system seemed intriguing. I thinkthey're an older model vs. the newer TS commanders that KG is currently wearing. Is there a big performance difference between the older and new models. I don't bump into them too often in my travels and if I get them they would have to be online. Thanks for your opinions and feedback on this model.

^^^^actually the bounce commanders just came out and the ts commanders are the older model hes been wearing since the end of the season.

oh and duke i got to try on my proper size today in the dwight howard colorway and i decided to orer a pair of the ts commander in the black/white team color.
i cant wait for them to come in so i can see how they perform. even though i misread what you said, it was your review that get my attention on these and i
just want to say thanks because i was having a hard time finding a pair of basketball shoes that i was completely sold on.

just from trying them on and walking around, i noticed they have very good ankle support and stability despite not having a higher cut or having a lacingsystem
that goes to the top of the shoe. i also noticed what you said about the stripes on the side of the shoe and i think the strap works really well. i was in thestore on
the hardwood testing out the traction and it seemed really good as i could not move my foot at all on the floor. ill provide a follow up once i actually get toplay in
them.

Yeah, the cut of the shoe surprised me too. I expected being the "big man" shoe it would run higher than it does. The foot really sets low in theheel. Did you notice the lace loops on the inside of the ankle strap? They help alot.

heat010, every Bounce cushion I have tried has been extremely stiff when they are first worn. After a few wears, they do break in nicely, but again, for thefirst few wears, they feel dead to me, unless you are just heavy for your height.

yeah i did. the pair i tried on came with them laced through those loops inside of the strap. i just ordered them yesterday but im already getting impatientlol.

ive called finish line 3 times today trying to get my tracking number.

there's some 12s cheap on eBay now, but when these get to 69.99$ or below I'm in for a pair, same with the Creators

Originally Posted by mt3130

why am i killin you lol???
Trying three times to get a tracking number just made me laugh. I meant that in a good way. I remember being that way about some shoes. Waiting bythe mailbox to get them. Missing delivery, and driving 30 miles to the FedEx office to get them instead of waiting a day (Air Jordan XI concord retro). It justtakes me back.

Datz, I am in DFW, and some Ross stores around here got some Tai Chi's in various sizes. Coming in at 24.99. I remember you asking about them a few monthsago.

Back
Top Bottom