Adidas TS Lightspeed: a review.

I'd like to do this review in this fashion. You don't have to take my word as bond, but if you have this shoe, and then have worn it for anysignificant time, please chime in. I don't believe in Grades, as they are subjective.

This shoe is a bit of a step forward into time, and then one backward as well. First, I am 6"4, 250, and I play all positions on the floor. I post up,slash, all of that, if you need a description of how I ball. The size is 14 in THIS shoe.

How I really know if a shoe is good, it's how it performs on D. This is when you know that your shoe is doing its job, no worries. When you have to runfull speed, then stop and defend if you are a guard, preventing penetration in the lane, you need reliable kicks. If you are attempting to body up a dude inthe post, you don't need the cat you are guarding down there pushin' you out of your defensive position, with your feet sliding like you are oniceskates...

...the TS Lightspeeds did the job in this area, and I am talking traction.

The traction isn't spot on stop, and I was balling on a nice floor, but I'd come to a complete stop, no slide, but no squeak though.

Where this shoe was puzzling in regard to slippage, was inside the shoe. Adidas uses this material (Clima Cool?) on the inside of SOME of their shoes,especially this shoe, sockliner included. This prevents the wearer from wearing synthetic socks. Synth+Synth= no no. I had to switch and then wear cottonsocks, something I don't mind anyway, to rectify the issue. After that, no slippage.

The "tech" of this shoe is really in the upper. It's interesting as to how the materials inside wick away moisture and heat, from inside theshoe. The tongue seems to have the same material that is inside, and what I noticed was my feet didn't sweat much. Call me 'oldschool', but thishad me buggin'!

Adidas has got the Adiprene + going in the sole, which I personally dig more than AIR. No offense super nike fans, but it works very well for me.

At about the 5th game while in this shoe, they felt like a part of me, with NO worries while on D.

Back in time:

I'd simply get my shoes from beneath my bed or out of my practice bag, then just go and ball. I didn't have to worry about whether or not my shoes werefor guards or dophins, I just put them on, then balled.

Present day:

With all the cubes, shox and Zoom, it is nice to wear a shoe that is built to keep your dogs cooler than the pair of Shelltoes from back in the day, but stilllooking just as low profile. I didn't need to break necks with my kicks as a kid, I just wanted to be noticed for my game. I had no issue going fromposition to position in these, as we know while playing pickup, you just may be called to play any position, at anytime. Like the Nike Zoom BB, this shoe hasno position. It's just a lightweight hoops shoe, the lightest that Adidas has ever made. It really took me back to when all hoops shoes were just thatsimple. The Litespeed has some serious padding at the ankle, which really doesn't make any difference to me. I don't need alot of padding, but somepeople dig that comfy feeling all up in there.

This shoe is classic lookin', as what's shown right here on the Adidas threads of Niketalk. They do turn heads, but that has nothing to do with'performance'.

This shoe isn't for peeps with a WIDE foot, as it is a bit narrow in the forefoot. The Heel fit was hip, but I felt that the shoe needed another laceholeat the top. I had a lockdown fit, but it could have been better, as I have been spoiled by the Gil Zero's, of which has the ridiculous lockdown joint.

My fav Adidas hoop shoes are; the Adidas 1.1, Pro Team II, Gil Zero Mids, Decade I, II and III, and another one that has just been released, the Fulton, wordto Bedstuy. I haven't figured out where it fits among my favs yet, but just cop a pair of the Litespeeds if you want a new/old direction in a pair ofKicks, then come on here and tell me that I am wrong. This shoe is a combo of simple and complicated, but in a very good way.

See ya!!

Thanks for the review Jack.

I think adidas took an interesting route regarding this marketing approach, and I think it's paid off nicely.

As for the shoes, I do think they have that element of 'classic'. I really dig playing in light shoes, so I hope to grab a few pairs down the line. TheCollege Editions are up now and I'm all over the Louisville away pair. I hear they're coming out with team colors too. I hope they do a pair inturquoise, like Peja's.

One question-How are these holding up durability wise?

Also, could you talk about the Fulton's a bit? I wish that adi. would've gone with a more Top Ten/Centennial feel, because they remind me more of theSambas. Quality on the brown/caramel pair looks ridiculous though.

adidas has some great stuff coming out next year too. Fall '08 trainers are
eek.gif
eek.gif

How I really know if a shoe is good, it's how it performs on D. This is when you know that your shoe is doing its job, no worries. When you have to run full speed, then stop and defend if you are a guard, preventing penetration in the lane, you need reliable kicks. If you are attempting to body up a dude in the post, you don't need the cat you are guarding down there pushin' you out of your defensive position, with your feet sliding like you are on iceskates...

i wholeheartedly agree. might need to scoop me a pair sometime.

like the dude asked above though, my only question is durability.

adidas has always been good for me on court, but wears out within a month or two of serious (3-5x/wk) hooping.

The shoes are durable, the laces are not. I would not recommend them for constant outdoor play though.

To be quite honest, I like the Adidas FULTON alot better than the TS Lightswitch! The cushioning is top notch, as it even features a slight bounce. I have apair of the mids in all white with the beige ankle piece, no Graffitti. I LOVE this shoe! I hope that they put a few more of these out in suede/nubuck, inBlue, Red, or Green. The Low Brown faux Croc's are hot forreals!

The Fulton is a shoe that transitions the street court and indoor court exceptionally well. It has GREAT traction, and then has the ankle support of a muchhigher shoe, with a lower profile.

nice review. I was wondering when you'd start doing it again... I still remember a 4 shoe review (team mac, rekanize, melo1 and some converse..i think) youposted years back. It's this kind of content that the forum needs more of. thanks!

I didn't like the GDL a whole lot. I didn't, and then still don't like, unconventional lacing systems.

Chris Chicago,

I'll do the best I can! With this new ignore system in place, I can put up shade against those who are a bit too fanatical about what they think is best.

BTW!

I did a joint some time back about the Bounce Artillery II's, I may have to start another discussion on that one...

I have been away for awhile (not jail, just work) and missed the Bounce Artillery II review, if it was posted. I have been looking at these in the patentcolorway's at D ick's, but they feel like bricks at the store. The inner feels rough and the cushion feels dead. I know in the past you said you shouldnever have to "break in" a shoe (I believe it was you talking about Zoom Air), but how did the Artillery feel to you?

Well if you are really feeling the spring of a Zoom shoe, then I suggest that you stick with Nike. Buy what is comfortable and usable to you, as I can onlystate my opinion based upon experience. I haven't had good experiences with Zoom based shoes over the long haul.

If a shoe fits you properly, you should NOT have to break it in. If a shoe is custom built for you, it has already been conformed to your foot. When you firstwear that shoe, it is new, but it's like butter on your foot, thus no break in time.

That said, the Artillery II may be not for you, but it IS a good one for me.

Didn't really say I "feel" the spring of Zoom Air, just I remember you saying that a few months, possibly years, ago. I have bought adidas A3offerings in the past, such as Superstar Structure and A3 Forum, and after three or four wearings the A3 breaks in, as it will with any PU or rubber basedstructure for cushining. This was my line of questioning: the shoe felt stiff to wear in store, and I haven't tried the Bounce technology, so after a fewwears did it break in and feel more lively? The upper doesn't concern me because I know what size I wear and how it should fit.

I really don't feel the 'breaking in' of a shoe as you speak of it, never have. I feel them conforming to my foot, becoming more FLEXIBLE, butnever a change in the cushion/support system. Right out the box I expect a cushioning setup to remain the same until it gives out, or breaks down. For me, thisis the signal for a new pair.

Now if you do mean if the shoe feels more FLEXIBLE as you play, then yeah! That'll most definitely happen with the Artillery IIs, but I didn't findthem as horribly inflexible while new, as you suggested in your original post.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Hey, no problem. I really respect your opinion on these things, as you seem to not be blinded by anything Zoom, 2K, Jordan, and buy what you like. I agree thecushioning should feel right, otherwise why buy a shoe for $100+ and not know how they will feel in two weeks. We seem to think along the same lines on alot ofthese shoes, and I just wondered where you stood.

Back
Top Bottom