ADIDAS X YEEZY COLLAB OFFICIAL 2016 THREAD - (NO LC PICS PLEASE!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adidas's strategy is a little confusing to me. The goal is to sell sneakers. They're dominating the conversation, the mind share of the enthusiast market, but hype doesn't pay bills— that stock price tumbles just as quickly as it rises. You have to sell shoes to people. I can't get over that 50K number. There have been 8 yeezy releases (if you include the 2nd Pirate drop) that number can't be right. If it is, it's obvious the goal isn't to sell shoes—the notion that Adidas can't physically manufacture more is absurd—they must have some other grand scheme in the works.  
Matt Powell works on the number side of things

He made a good point, that the demand was always there. just the supply wasn't met when speaking of the Adidas Classic line
when supply's doubled sales doubled 

People are quick to give the credit to Kanye and not the actual product. 
He said Adi resigned Kanye to try a recoup Sunk Cost from the project like Nike and KD

Josh said this "If there was 4-10x demand > supply for classics we would've had resell premiums. We didn't"

So Resell Market is how these companies measure the demand????

interesting :nerd:

Yes Matt works on the # portion, he takes a given number and extrapolates that into his data number.

Some of what he says is inline with the info i have, most of it is not inline.

I do contribute Adi's success to Kanye.

Demand is always there..... um.... a few years ago white/black superstar was EVERYWHERE in terms of retailers offering the model.. why wasnt it selling through then? 

and yes i can poke holes through a lot of his "analytics" 

Thank you. Powell is a nobody. And people think highly of him because he gives up #s and info.... Please. Any analyst in any industry is a false prophet.

Matt Powell works on the number side of things

He made a good point, that the demand was always there. just the supply wasn't met when speaking of the Adidas Classic line

when supply's doubled sales doubled 

People are quick to give the credit to Kanye and not the actual product. 

He said Adi resigned Kanye to try a recoup Sunk Cost from the project like Nike and KD

Josh said this "If there was 4-10x demand > supply for classics we would've had resell premiums. We didn't"

So Resell Market is how these companies measure the demand????

interesting 
nerd.gif
I'm not sure I agree with the "demand was always there, but supply wasn't"   

Stan Smiths became much more popular in the last year or 2, even earning the title "meme smiths" in certain fashion circles (/r/streetwear, r/mfa, etc.).   They are a classic that has been around for a long time, but how many people were wearing them 5+ years ago? 

And the resell market isn't some scientific way to measure the demand, but if people really, really wanted Stan Smiths but there wasn't enough supply... they would have paid over MSRP for them.  They would've been on Flight Club, or other resale websites.  Was that ever the case?  

I can't recall how much demand there was for Stan Smiths or other Adidas shoes, but I do know that I hadn't purchased an Adidas shoe for decades before I got the 350's.  Then I got the UB's (which I wear more than any other shoe now).  My purchase wouldn't have existed if it weren't for Kanye.  And I'm not saying that as a Kanye fanboi (I posted on NT before about how I thought TLOP was not really good, at all)... I bought the 350's because I liked the way they looked.  I bought the UB's because I liked the way they looked, plus everyone's comments of them being the most comfy shoe they own (which I now agree with). 

I guess what I'm rambling about is.... No, Adidas probably didn't make back their $20m investment into Kanye in actual sales, but in renewed interest in the brand - I 100% believe that.   UB's were sitting on shelves 2-3 years ago, now almost every single color sells out.  Again, they sell out partly on their own merit... but as I mentioned above, I wouldn't have even considered Adidas if I didn't get that first pair of 350's.  I also think you have to give Pharrell and Raf Simons some credit as well, as they also influenced the perception of Adidas (especially for the Stan Smith models). 

Actually just googled and found this ESPN article about Stan Smith shoes:   http://www.espn.com/tennis/story/_/...e-became-hottest-signature-sneaker-game-today

It wasn't until 2014 that they started becoming popular again, after Adidas setup a new marketing strategy that included celebs like Pharrell and Ellen Degeneres.  

Article also includes this image: 

Canada is the worst 

TMZ just reported: According to TMZ Kanye sold $780,000 in merch during the 9/5 Saint Pablo Tour show at MSG. Now the most ever at that venue.

eek.gif
 in other news
this dude Kanye got bammas makin him even richer buyin these wack *** clothing... shoes are dope but the cloths....  no good!

Stan Smiths became much more popular in the last year or 2, even earning the title "meme smiths" in certain fashion circles (/r/streetwear, r/mfa, etc.).   They are a classic that has been around for a long time, but how many people were wearing them 5+ years ago? 

And the resell market isn't some scientific way to measure the demand, but if people really, really wanted Stan Smiths but there wasn't enough supply... they would have paid over MSRP for them.  They would've been on Flight Club, or other resale websites.  Was that ever the case?  

I can't recall how much demand there was for Stan Smiths or other Adidas shoes, but I do know that I hadn't purchased an Adidas shoe for decades before I got the 350's.  Then I got the UB's (which I wear more than any other shoe now).  My purchase wouldn't have existed if it weren't for Kanye.  And I'm not saying that as a Kanye fanboi (I posted on NT before about how I thought TLOP was not really good, at all)... I bought the 350's because I liked the way they looked.  I bought the UB's because I liked the way they looked, plus everyone's comments of them being the most comfy shoe they own (which I now agree with). 

I guess what I'm rambling about is.... No, Adidas probably didn't make back their $20m investment into Kanye in actual sales, but in renewed interest in the brand - I 100% believe that.   UB's were sitting on shelves 2-3 years ago, now almost every single color sells out.  Again, they sell out partly on their own merit... but as I mentioned above, I wouldn't have even considered Adidas if I didn't get that first pair of 350's.  I also think you have to give Pharrell and Raf Simons some credit as well, as they also influenced the perception of Adidas (especially for the Stan Smith models). 

Actually just googled and found this ESPN article about Stan Smith shoes:   http://www.espn.com/tennis/story/_/...e-became-hottest-signature-sneaker-game-today

It wasn't until 2014 that they started becoming popular again, after Adidas setup a new marketing strategy that included celebs like Pharrell and Ellen Degeneres.  

Ultra Boosts didn't really drop until last year so they weren't sitting on shelfs 2 to 3 years ago.  Other than that I am starting to come around to the other points you made.  Also Adidas didn't really become popular again until late 2015 into this year.  Before 2016 they were struggling mightily 

Last edited:
Adi has gotten a lot of exposure to the younger generation. Olders heads, I. E. me, have always worn the 3 stripes even when others didn't think it was cool. Adi was big in the streets back in the day :smokin

Canada is the worst 

TMZ just reported: According to TMZ Kanye sold $780,000 in merch during the 9/5 Saint Pablo Tour show at MSG. Now the most ever at that venue.

eek.gif
 in other news
They were like $70-90 a pop. The lines on the 100s level were insane though. They took way over an hour and barely moved because everyone was just hoarding the counters. I saw dudes walking out holding bags full of merch.  About half of it was up on eBay the same night  
roll.gif

Yes they were even though I never owned a pair till this year lol.  I grew up wearing Nikes, Jordans. Reeboks, FILAS and Timbs.  I always wanted a pair of shell toes but I just never got a pair.  Now because of boost all I want to wear is adidas and at least for me that had nothing to do with Kanye, I finally tried on a pair of UB's and I was hooked.  I hate when I have wear any other shoe lol

View media item 2158206

Noting all that you just said, I really wonder if adidas is going to be able to grow outside of the "streetwear" minded sneakerhead market. Unlike athletes which have universal appeal, Kanye is influential on a very specific market of people. And if the same people that jumped on the adidas train because of Kanye are the ones that boosted sales in Stan Smiths and ultra boosts sales and popularity can only be as big as r/streetwear people can make it.

Adi has gotten a lot of exposure to the younger generation. Olders heads, I. E. me, have always worn the 3 stripes even when others didn't think it was cool. Adi was big in the streets back in the day :smokin

Agreed. This refresh for the younger crowd is great for the 3 stripes. Old head here too... Man, I still have my shell toes from HS. Production date is in 92, and still wearable! :pimp:

Anyone else just sitting around, listening to TLOP and staring at the beautiful New York City sky?

Stan gone Stan. I'm all for people dressing to their liking until it gets to the point where they full out copy Ye's fits. Do they think they're Kanye? :rofl:

Noting all that you just said, I really wonder if adidas is going to be able to grow outside of the "streetwear" minded sneakerhead market. Unlike athletes which have universal appeal, Kanye is influential on a very specific market of people. And if the same people that jumped on the adidas train because of Kanye are the ones that boosted sales in Stan Smiths and ultra boosts sales and popularity can only be as big as r/streetwear people can make it.
Well I think the more people that try Boost, the more people that will be interested in other Adidas products.  As I said in my previous post, my UB's are pretty much the only shoes I wear now.  They can stand on their own merit (comfort) without having anything to do with Kanye. I would also wear some NMD's, or some other models that have boost technology.  I like some of the designs of the Tubulars and other models as well, but they all seem to have that r/streetwear style to them.  

I personally don't have any interest in Stan Smiths.  I would rock the Adidas Rod Laver's though, if they offered them in all white leather.  That is basically the shoe that Common Projects Achilles (and other white leather, minimalist low top sneakers) are based off of.  I probably would wear the primeknit Stan Smiths, too (if I could get away from UBs). 

I wonder if Adidas would make more head-way in athletics if they signed bigger basketball stars.  James Harden is probably their biggest star, but I don't know a single person that has a pair of his shoes (people were posting the leaked shots of his new shoe in the UB thread, clowning on them).  I also don't think Adidas clothing is that "cool" either.  Most of the Adidas-sponsored college teams have pretty weak jerseys, clothing, etc.  I think Adidas is well behind Nike in this regard, and I think they are getting passed up by Under Armor.  Adidas just lost University of Michigan back to Nike.  They still have Kansas, UCLA, and a few others though.  

Well I think the more people that try Boost, the more people that will be interested in other Adidas products.  
Nailed it, as I keep saying if NMD's and UB's were trash they wouldn't keep selling like they do.  They will continue to earn for Adidas long after the yeezy craze because they are quality and innovative 

Well I think the more people that try Boost, the more people that will be interested in other Adidas products.  As I said in my previous post, my UB's are pretty much the only shoes I wear now.  They can stand on their own merit (comfort) without having anything to do with Kanye. I would also wear some NMD's, or some other models that have boost technology.  I like some of the designs of the Tubulars and other models as well, but they all seem to have that r/streetwear style to them.  

I personally don't have any interest in Stan Smiths.  I would rock the Adidas Rod Laver's though, if they offered them in all white leather.  That is basically the shoe that Common Projects Achilles (and other white leather, minimalist low top sneakers) are based off of.  I probably would wear the primeknit Stan Smiths, too (if I could get away from UBs). 

I wonder if Adidas would make more head-way in athletics if they signed bigger basketball stars.  James Harden is probably their biggest star, but I don't know a single person that has a pair of his shoes (people were posting the leaked shots of his new shoe in the UB thread, clowning on them).  I also don't think Adidas clothing is that "cool" either.  Most of the Adidas-sponsored college teams have pretty weak jerseys, clothing, etc.  I think Adidas is well behind Nike in this regard, and I think they are getting passed up by Under Armor.  Adidas just lost University of Michigan back to Nike.  They still have Kansas, UCLA, and a few others though.  

Ultra boosts are great and should be able to sell themselves based on comfort but I don't believe for a second that comfort>hype when it comes to why most people are going crazy over the ultra boosts. Like you, I started getting into adidas with my first pair of ultra boost and they were comfortable as all hell. Wasn't a huge fan of the price tag though so I looked into other full boost shoes like the pure boost 1 and 2, rocket boosts, and more recently the y-3 retro boost (All of which are more comfortable than the NMD but that's besides the point) and every single one of the shoes provides a similar level of comfort and retails for cheaper than the ultra boosts but those don't sell out and go on deep discount. Heck, alpha bounces should be able to sell themselves on comfort alone as well but they're not selling out either. As for the NMDs I've got no interest in them. Not as comfortable as other full boost models and something about them just never grabbed me, even when I had them on foot.

Last edited:
Damn, anyone just see Amina on the Season 4 stream? She was walking mad awkward then just stopped and ripped the shoes off her feet and walked barefooted. Not really a good look for Ye's women's line, especially since it was one of the most well known Yeezy models. 

Edit: link 

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom