Votes: 268 21.5%
  • Adidas Yeezy 350 Boost V2 ‘Cream White’

Votes: 38 3.0%
  • Adidas Yeezy 350 Boost V2 ‘Semi-Frozen Yellow’

Votes: 44 3.5%
  • Adidas Yeezy 350 Boost V2 ‘Beluga 2.0’

Votes: 103 8.2%

• Total voters
Definitely not worth the 600 used they going for, but to call these “trash” is wild. They 🔥 And I don’t even care for NMDs like that.
Pharrell-Williams-x-Adidas-NMD-HU-Human-Being-Sharp-Blue-@alexanderparsick.jpg

I think they can be fine without ye as long as they find a travis scott type influencer to market their sneakers. There was a time when Kanye wore stan smiths, ultra boosts, zx fluxs, y3s etc etc and that helped with getting their sneakers hyped. They don't have that anymore. in the end it's their originals that help them get the most bank but no one is wearing them that will make others want to buy them
There is no replacing Ye. Hate him or love him he’s one of a kind.

Last edited:
The type of famous/influential that Kanye is (especially 2006-present) doesn't even exist anymore in the modern zeitgeist. He's a relic of a bygone era, and certainly one of a kind. That's why there is no replacing him

Because of the internet, everything is so fragmented. There's barely any mass cultural icons anymore (Madonna, Michael Jackson, Kanye, Beyonce). That type of fame just doesn't happen anymore. Say whatever, but to me a trillion streams still not the equivalent of a million people getting in their car, going to the mall, and spending $20 dollars to buy your album on the first day. That's why these comparisons don't add up

I live in a college town. I can go my whole year without hearing a Bad Bunny song if I don't go out of my way. Try that with Thriller in 1984. That's the difference between the old fame that Kanye is grandfathered into and the "fame" of the modern day. That's why Adidas gonna struggle with these new age celebrities. Nobody buying Lizzo gym shoes

I live in a college town. I can go my whole year without hearing a Bad Bunny song if I don't go out of my way. Try that with Thriller in 1984. That's the difference between the old fame that Kanye is grandfathered into and the "fame" of the modern day. That's why Adidas gonna struggle with these new age celebrities. Nobody buying Lizzo gym shoes

I was 100% with you til you basically said you go to a college town in Utah in the middle of the mountains cause thats about the only place in the country where youd have to go out of your way to hear a Bad Bunny song.

Lizzo gym shoes. :lol:

Definitely not worth the 600 used they going for, but to call these “trash” is wild. They 🔥 And I don’t even care for NMDs like that.
Pharrell-Williams-x-Adidas-NMD-HU-Human-Being-Sharp-Blue-@alexanderparsick.jpg
These look hideous. Later models looked better when they toned down the nonsense written in giant MS Word text.

NMDs as a whole are trash though, basically Adidas Roshe but arguably somehow even worse.

Because of the internet, everything is so fragmented. There's barely any mass cultural icons anymore (Madonna, Michael Jackson, Kanye, Beyonce). That type of fame just doesn't happen anymore.
I mean Harry Styles is huge. Same with T. Swift but she has been around a hot min now. I get what you’re saying about selling shoes though and agree on that point re: Lizzo. The Weeknd or even Drake couldn’t even do it but somehow Travis managed to do a pretty good job doing so. I think it comes down to marketing.

Also, I do think Kanye MASSIVELY benefitted for being the 1st musician to get their own sig Nike Model. Prior to the Air Yeezy, Nike never did signature sneakers like Reebok did with S Dots and the G-Unit sneakers (maybe they didn’t think they could sell?). Couple that kind of monopoly with Ye’s insane album run from 2004-2016 and I don’t think a comparable artist had anywhere near the hype or market that he did.

Popular musician collabs are so commonplace nowadays, shoes are almost treated like an advanced merch. Someone ITT mentioned Dua Lipa recently dropped a sneaker collab with Puma-I don’t think there was much if any hype at all for those, for example.

I mean Harry Styles is huge. Same with T. Swift but she has been around a hot min now. I get what you’re saying about selling shoes though and agree on that point re: Lizzo. The Weeknd or even Drake couldn’t even do it but somehow Travis managed to do a pretty good job doing so. I think it comes down to marketing.

Also, I do think Kanye MASSIVELY benefitted for being the 1st musician to get their own sig Nike Model. Prior to the Air Yeezy, Nike never did signature sneakers like Reebok did with S Dots and the G-Unit sneakers (maybe they didn’t think they could sell?). Couple that kind of monopoly with Ye’s insane album run from 2004-2016 and I don’t think a comparable artist had anywhere near the hype or market that he did.

Popular musician collabs are so commonplace nowadays, shoes are almost treated like an advanced merch. Someone ITT mentioned Dua Lipa recently dropped a sneaker collab with Puma-I don’t think there was much if any hype at all for those, for example.

Tbf its also Puma. Those collabs never do well unless youre an actual athlete (Melo) but even then those are basketball shoes and not lifestyle.

You gotta be with Nike or adidas (long shot even) to have a collab that will have a huge following behind it, and even now I dont think theres an artist or person that can do that. Drake cant make Nike pop, but Drake also isnt really a fashion type of guy so people arent looking up to him like that. Trav falls under that same umbrella as Drake, I think the reverse swoosh design helped a lot. If it was a regular swoosh it woudnt have commanded such a following and dont think other shoes woudda followed suit (4s, 6s).

As other dude said, Ye is the last of that kind.

The type of famous/influential that Kanye is (especially 2006-present) doesn't even exist anymore in the modern zeitgeist. He's a relic of a bygone era, and certainly one of a kind. That's why there is no replacing him

Because of the internet, everything is so fragmented. There's barely any mass cultural icons anymore (Madonna, Michael Jackson, Kanye, Beyonce). That type of fame just doesn't happen anymore. Say whatever, but to me a trillion streams still not the equivalent of a million people getting in their car, going to the mall, and spending $20 dollars to buy your album on the first day. That's why these comparisons don't add up

I agree with what you're saying about fame now vs fame in the past, but don't agree that Kanye was grandfathered in. That Michael Jackson/Madonna fame was gone before Kanye became famous, he did it in basically the same landscape that exists today. The difference between him and other modern celebrities/musicians/etc is something that comes from within himself that others don't have. Kanye is incredibly talented, and Kanye wants to be a designer. He focuses on being a designer with the same focus he has for his music. That's not the case with Drake, Bad Bunny, and other celebrities with shoe models. Adidas may be just fine without him, but no doubt Kanye is a special talent who is not easily replaced and really has no contemporary analogue.

This too

These collabs do be feeling like merch/money grabs the artist has zero say in, as opposed to partnerships with real investment. You don't even see some of these artists wearing their own collabs in real life like that unless it's press, or a photoshoot for the brand

https%3A%2F%2Fhypebeast.com%2Fwp-content%2Fblogs.dir%2F6%2Ffiles%2F2022%2F04%2Fbillie-eilish-nike-air-force-1-high-mushroom-apparel-collaboration-release-date-0.jpg

In contrast, Ye and Travis Scott was out there wearing their products, in dope "fits", creating hype and making people just as hype to get their hands on the shoes. Same time they was both considered style influencers before they signed major deals. Another major difference. Not to mention the designs weren't corny (unlike the above posted nonsense Nike be doing with other celebrities)

I haven't worn air forces in probably a decade, but I think those Eilish's are so tough. Almost copped on discount for $102 a couple months back, but I think my next air force is going to be a Nike By You. (I hate that name, NikeID sounded so much better).

This too

These collabs do be feeling like merch/money grabs the artist has zero say in, as opposed to partnerships with real investment. You don't even see some of these artists wearing their own collabs in real life like that unless it's press, or a photoshoot for the brand

https%3A%2F%2Fhypebeast.com%2Fwp-content%2Fblogs.dir%2F6%2Ffiles%2F2022%2F04%2Fbillie-eilish-nike-air-force-1-high-mushroom-apparel-collaboration-release-date-0.jpg

In contrast, Ye and Travis Scott was out there wearing their products, in dope "fits", creating hype and making people just as hype to get their hands on the shoes. Same time they was both considered style influencers before they signed major deals. Another major difference. Not to mention the designs weren't corny (unlike the above posted nonsense Nike be doing with other celebrities)
While I agree that artists wearing the product is important, if the product sucks, people aren't going to buy it at a wider scale. No matter how many times Drake wears the NOCTA Hotstep, it ain't gonna happen lol

Hell, this even happened with Ye and less popular models like the QNTMs, 380s, and especially Powerphases.

I agree with what you're saying about fame now vs fame in the past, but don't agree that Kanye was grandfathered in. That Michael Jackson/Madonna fame was gone before Kanye became famous, he did it in basically the same landscape that exists today. The difference between him and other modern celebrities/musicians/etc is something that comes from within himself that others don't have. Kanye is incredibly talented, and Kanye wants to be a designer. He focuses on being a designer with the same focus he has for his music. That's not the case with Drake, Bad Bunny, and other celebrities with shoe models. Adidas may be just fine without him, but no doubt Kanye is a special talent who is not easily replaced and really has no contemporary analogue.

I also think one thing that gets overlooked is Kanye actual institutional knowledge of fashion. Dude dropped out of art school and spent a good amount of his musical career working on a fashion career. He did tons of work to foster Pastelle long before before Yeezy was ever a thing. Also, he interned at Fendi with Virgil so there was definitely some experience he gained from that. He spent his career building networks, etc. with the fashion world and leveraging his celeb status to do so (even Anna W. attended YZYS9, for example).
I honestly can't think of any other popular musician that was ever this dedicated to entering the fashion world tbh. This all ended up being a fantastic idea from Ye's perspective since there is 0 chance he would be anywhere as rich as he is without establishing Yeezy as the brand that it is.-there is no way he would have this kind of success with music alone, regardless of how good his music is.

Back
Top Bottom