Air Jordan 2012 Performance Review

Had to order after this review. Much more excited about these than I was the kobe system.

Some people will be bored watching this, but I love the in depth review.

I tried them on at a Niketown (both feet, both booties, all 3 insoles), walked around, did some jump stops and short sprints (lol I know, you should've seen the other customers' faces) and they felt 100x better than the Kobe VII, Hyperfuse 2011, Hyperdunk 2011 mid and low, KD IV, LeBron 9s, Melo M8s, and the Wade 2s.

I preferred the low bootie to the high, and the Zoom forefoot-Air heel insole.  This may be the most perfect basketball shoe created yet.  Only shame is the price, (though they somehow might end up being worth every penny).

I appreciate this review, and will be buying a pair of iDs for sure!  Jordan performance is back in a big way!  

I played in an alumni game today and my normal sunday league.

In the alumni game I went with the low bootie and the Fly Over insole. I have always said that zoom in the front and air in the back is a basketball players ideal set up and this one does not disappoint. I'm glad they decided to bring the articulated zoom air that we have seen on some of the cole haan shoes in the past.

In the league game I went with the high bootie and Fly Through insole. I rarely like high top sneakers or use ankle braces. I cannot say that this bootie really provides any support or protection. I am normally a 13 and there were times when I felt like the bootie was coming out of the shoe or away from the sole on the ground as I moved.

Fit: I am normally a 12.5 or 13 in most shoes. I went 13 and it was fine. Half a size down would be too small in my opinion.

Performance: Anyone that has read my reviews in the past know that traction is a huge thing for me. How can a performance basketball shoe help you move if it doesn't give you solid footing every time? Well the Jordan 2012 performs well in this category. Traction was good. No slipping, rarely a missed plant. It is not Kobe IV/V traction, but I would call it on par if not better than the xx3, xiv, 2011 and others that had good traction.

I was pleased with my initial setup. There were times that the interchangeable sole and bootie system did not feel as solid as the 2011 version of the shoes. I am sure it has to do with the bootie holding the insole and not having it in a deep tray as they did on the 2011. The only other complaint I have with this shoe is the reason that I had to change booties and soles...

Ventilation: Perhaps I'm spoiled after playing in the Rose 2.0 and Lebron VIII PS, but this shoes does not breathe well at all. My first game at noon and my second game was at 5pm. I came home and my booties from the first game are still slightly damp. I see that JB tried their best to create a fabric that breathes, but the problem is that the outer shell has no where to let that moisture or heat escape. The only outlet is the tongue area which is also covered by laces. I'm sure the laces don't play a big role, but you never know.

Overall: Last year my shoe rotation was Lebron VII PS into the 2011 into the VIII PS into the Lebron IX and Rose 2.0. I think the 2012 will be my main shoe for the rest of my leagues until the summer.

Originally Posted by Prostaffer

In the league game I went with the high bootie and Fly Through insole. I rarely like high top sneakers or use ankle braces. I cannot say that this bootie really provides any support or protection. I am normally a 13 and there were times when I felt like the bootie was coming out of the shoe or away from the sole on the ground as I moved.

I was pleased with my initial setup. There were times that the interchangeable sole and bootie system did not feel as solid as the 2011 version of the shoes. I am sure it has to do with the bootie holding the insole and not having it in a deep tray as they did on the 2011. The only other complaint I have with this shoe is the reason that I had to change booties and soles...

Ventilation: Perhaps I'm spoiled after playing in the Rose 2.0 and Lebron VIII PS, but this shoes does not breathe well at all. My first game at noon and my second game was at 5pm. I came home and my booties from the first game are still slightly damp. I see that JB tried their best to create a fabric that breathes, but the problem is that the outer shell has no where to let that moisture or heat escape. The only outlet is the tongue area which is also covered by laces. I'm sure the laces don't play a big role, but you never know.

That sucks that feels like you coming out of the shoe! That seems to be common theme with these interchangeable midsoles and booties.

Hows the lace pressure on these too?

Tried these on over at Niketown yesterday and they are extremely comfortable! NikeID can save this shoe, the GR colorways are terrible and are probably the main reason why they're so hated on. Awful colorways can't save the best shoes (for eg. DDRT 3s), not even the XIs.

@Mister Friendly

Lace pressure is just right. I didn't tie them super tight though.

On a traction update, I played a playoff game for my team in a gym that is usually pretty dusty. That being said I will get traction in my Lebron VIII PS, but not the Jordan 2012's. It's decent and then on really sharp moves I would slip.

The XX3's might be my favorite Jordan to ball in and I'd say these fit a little bit better or at least more comfortably than those did.

These sound promising. I'm going to go and try on a pair at the nike store this week.
How long do yall think before these start hitting the outlets?

I tried them on at work today, low booty with the fly over insole. They felt great, my foot felt locked down and the cushioning was nice. The only thing I didnt like was that I felt like my foot was very high off the ground, it gave me a disconnected feeling.

Originally Posted by wohcttank

I tried them on at work today, low booty with the fly over insole. They felt great, my foot felt locked down and the cushioning was nice. The only thing I didnt like was that I felt like my foot was very high off the ground, it gave me a disconnected feeling.
Do you realize that the fly over insole is what made you feel that way?

I played in them last night, and found the traction on these shoes to be horrible! I'm a super quick, cutting guard, and these shoes were pretty horrible imo...Out of the box the shoes did not squeak on the clean court I was playing on. After 4 or 5 pick up games, they still did not squeak. If you're a bigger guy who doesn't need the traction, then the shoe should be perfect. 2011 traction > 2009 > 2010> 2012...

played in these this afternoon. didn't have a problem with the traction (combo 2/3). it doesn't squeak but i didn't slide around. it gave me decent traction whole game long. with that being said, i agree that the 2011 has excellent traction compared to the 2012, but the fit of the 2012 is definitely an upgrade from the 2011.

Traction is definitely buggy with these for me.

I think its time to move on to the Fly Wade 2.

These are still highly recommended. Fly around insole is by far my favorite.

I think that the traction has something to do with the material...It looks like it should have great traction, however I think the material is too soft. I think with it being too soft, it gives too much and doesn't stick to the court like previous models.

great reviews. im definitely considering this shoe bcuz i hoop so much. the price kills me tho

Originally Posted by yk12

great reviews. im definitely considering this shoe bcuz i hoop so much. the price kills me tho

These shoes are being discounted at a few places. One NTer said the san leandro outlet had the wolf grey deluxe for 89.99. For those who wanted a pair, start looking around

I'm considering these but I'd probably only wear the insole I like the most and the bootie I like, so it seems like a waste of money for all the extras

Played 8 games in my 2012s and they are performance beasts, monsters, or whatever creature you deem worthy to be put in that category.

I iD'd the shoe so i only got one option for fit and cushioning. I went with the high bootie and the fly over midsole.

The cushioning takes some break in time and the traction needs to be broken in as well. But once that happens the cushioning is great. The air in the heel disperses impact nicely and the articulated zoom is nice because it doesn't hinder flexibility like a regular forefoot zoom bag would. Traction is also very very good. Any direction i move the traction has been there when I've needed it.

I really don't have any complaints other than that. Just an all-around awesome shoe, no faults and it's cool that the shoe caters to all types of playing styles

The price is high but to me it's worth it and I am VERY PICKY when it comes to footwear since I have bad feet, ankles, and knees lol

Back
Top Bottom