Air Jordan 39 (XXXIX)

Best official c/w so far. Still not enough to cop. These look like $130 (really $80, if I'm being honest) team Js

Screenshot_20240422_110131_Brave.jpg

Definitely my favorite of the ones we've seen so far. But looks like a modern remake of the original Team 1s, or even this new colorway of the Team 2s:

p_31208171_177350716_7933766.jpg

3197740edd07ad5fabb824215f9ed1fd.jpg

At this point I just think Jordan Brand should probably discontinue the signature/numbered models. Obviously don’t stop making sneakers because they are a sneaker/lifestyle/sportswear company but what’s the point if your flagship model is discounted 3 weeks after release and still can’t sell? Also I knew it was time to discontinue the numbered models after that 42% or whatever of current players said LeBron was the GOAT lol. I mean mostly diehard Jordan or Jordan Brand fans care about any new numbered models. Casual fans and even players don’t care that much anymore. With this design apparently Jordan Brand doesn’t care all that much either lol

At this point I just think Jordan Brand should probably discontinue the signature/numbered models. Obviously don’t stop making sneakers because they are a sneaker/lifestyle/sportswear company but what’s the point if your flagship model is discounted 3 weeks after release and still can’t sell? Also I knew it was time to discontinue the numbered models after that 42% or whatever of current players said LeBron was the GOAT lol. I mean mostly diehard Jordan or Jordan Brand fans care about any new numbered models. Casual fans and even players don’t care that much anymore. With this design apparently Jordan Brand doesn’t care all that much either lol

People say this every year, depending on how the new model looks. They're not going to discontinue the sig game shoe unless the sales results truly don't justify the investment. I have no inside knowledge but I bet they still sell a ton of the annual numbered model, to a degree that would surprise you. Even if it's a discounted price, it's still a profitable product. People today are so conditioned to think anything that doesn't sell out within a day or three is a failure, which isn't at all true from a business standpoint. From what I understand over the years, this is especially true when it comes to the sell-through rate of athletic shoes.
Not sure what your point is about LeBron, other than joking. Who do the other 58 percent of current players say is the goat, then? Regardless, I don't see a whole lot of people walking around casually in LeBron's annual sig shoes--OR RETROS--either. In fact, if I go just on what I personally see (which also must not tell the whole story), Nike's giant lifetime deal with LeBron makes LESS sense to me than JB putting out a new sig J every year. The only RETROS LeBron even seems to move are limited to a handful of pairs and specific colorways, and I doubt the production numbers on those are comparable to the numbers on tons of retro Jordans.

Last edited:
People say this every year, depending on how the new model looks. They're not going to discontinue the sig game shoe unless the sales results truly don't justify the investment. I have no inside knowledge but I bet they still sell a ton of the annual numbered model, to a degree that would surprise you. Even if it's a discounted price, it's still a profitable product. People today are so conditioned to think anything that doesn't sell out within a day or three is a failure, which isn't at all true from a business standpoint. From what I understand over the years, this is especially true when it comes to the sell-through rate of athletic shoes.
Not sure what your point is about LeBron, other than joking. Who do the other 58 percent of current players say is the goat, then? Regardless, I don't see a whole lot of people walking around casually in LeBron's annual sig shoes--OR RETROS--either. In fact, if I go just on what I personally see (which also must not tell the whole story), Nike's giant lifetime deal with LeBron makes LESS sense to me than JB putting out a new sig J every year. The only RETROS LeBron even seems to move are limited to a handful of pairs and specific colorways, and I doubt the production numbers on those are comparable to the numbers on tons of retro Jordans.
That was more of just optics. Shoot maybe they are making a killing off of new sig models. Feels otherwise at least compared to when I was growing up. The Lebron point was slight jokes but also I don’t see most younger people rushing to cop a new Jordan sig, There isn’t much attachment to
Jordan/Air Jordan’s for them. He’s been gone over 20 years from the game. They would rather cop Lebrons, Kobe’s or even KD’s to ball in. I don’t know ANYONE in my area that’s like “Oh I can’t wait for the Air Jordan 39”.

I hear ya but at the time of mom and pops stores in the 80's and 90's it wasn't any different and there were always Jordans from the previous year and sometimes prior on store shelves even at FL, so I really don't see why it does matter? J's SHOULD be available to any basketball player that wants a pair, especially when there are so many exclusive stuff for anyone else wanting to make a status statement with the highly exclusive stuff.

On top of that there has never been so many retros AND every year that goes on there's a great new model that adds to that list, so yeah it's no surprise that they have to be on discount at some point. In the end Nike still makes more money overall with that global strategy and we get more opportunities to buy the shoes we dream about. Nobody complains for paying less...and if it provides the opportunity for someone to afford something they wouldn't be able to afford, especially youngsters or less privileged kids, where's the harm?

Interesting point but again please allow me to disagree here, if you look at soccer shoes and soccer is even bigger than basketball on a global scale as a sport, issuing colorways of their flagship models(CR and others) every 2-3-4 weeks has been the trend for even longer and I'd say it was about time JB catch up with that. The Air Jordan is the pinnacle of basketball shoes and for Nike and I never understood why soccer shoes got a special treatment by marketing people at Nike that Jordan shoes didn't get at first. In my view they finally did the right thing in the end and I am not gonna complain about it. There's

That I agree 1000%

Yep. Jordans always sat/restocked/went on sale until maybe the 11's from what I remember. Wasn't until about that era that once they were gone, they were gone. Lasted til the 15's, and then it's pretty much back to sitting/going on sale with the exceptions of certain colors. I remember finding a FSR of black tongue 5's at a store by my just before the 7's dropped.

The new Jordan has to move enough for them to continue making. NT is not the barometer of what all ballers are wearing. Its a small sample size. What we see on TV is a sample size. Same with what we all personally see. Todays player is not trying to use their basketball kicks for casual wear at the same time either. We would back then. Its different now. 1-14 are casual kicks to the younger gen. They were our basketball shoes then.
Nike obviuosly gets a profit from continuing the line. As long as the Jumpman stays relavent, the line will continue. Some people forget that not all Jordan 1 through 14 flew off shelves. What are classics to us now, were just next years school shoe to most then.

That was more of just optics. Shoot maybe they are making a killing off of new sig models. Feels otherwise at least compared to when I was growing up. The Lebron point was slight jokes but also I don’t see most younger people rushing to cop a new Jordan sig, There isn’t much attachment to
Jordan/Air Jordan’s for them. He’s been gone over 20 years from the game. They would rather cop Lebrons, Kobe’s or even KD’s to ball in. I don’t know ANYONE in my area that’s like “Oh I can’t wait for the Air Jordan 39”.
I'm deeply involved in elite youth basketball at middle, high school and college level, plus I take care of skills development for kids ranging from 6th grade to college level besides that and I see different.

It's true though that yougsters don't have eyes for Jordans yearly sig model only but it's up there, that's perfectly fine and that goes with the fact that there are several other great and inspiring products offered these days that are associated with other athletes that represent the current gen of young athletes in some different ways as well. I'd say peoples needs and values have broaden with time and the Kobes, Lebrons and others have different things to offer to the younger generations and it's positive in the end.

Historically, in the 80's and early 90's at some point Nike had only Michael with his name on a shoe. They were hesitant to even put another player's number(only) on a shoe, then they slowly started to incorporate other players initials and personalized logos on shoes with Barkley CB34 and the CW4 and etc... but they were signature line shoes only(much line PE's) but NOT true signature shoes per se. Around the same period came the other true ''full'' signature shoes from other companies the Shaq's and I3 from Reebok, Cons with LJ, LA Gear with Malone, etc. Nike then multiplied the signature lines with Zo, Jason Kidd, Nash, Garnett, Pip, etc and a few years later the Kobe's and Lebron's eras amongst others.

Point is even back then in the mid 90's, there were kids looking fwd to other shoes and sources of inspiration besides Jordan. It's always been like that and today is no different, it's just that the other players names have changed over time, more signature shoes available not only from Nike and Jordan is still at the top of the food chain, so lets not forget our history here and lets not lose sight of the broader picture either.

At 200$ retail when you got kids growing up and outgrowing shoes every 3-6 months, I can understand parents pushing their younger kids towards a 140$ Ja shoe or JT, Zion or whatever other option as well, so it's no different to me than the 90's when Nike introduced the signature line in the end, just a more evolved way to market the products. Lastly lets not underestimate the Impact Kobe, Lebron or others might have on their respective generations. The pie has certainly gotten bigger with time but it can only be shared and seperated a finite number of ways, i.e. there is a limit when it comes to market share. That's how I see it but that takes absolutely nothing from Jordan or the Air Jordan line, but rather the opposite since they are still super relevant to this day and always will be IMO.

Last edited:
Nobody said stop making a yearly performance model. I am a hooper and love performance basketball shoes. However, the line should of stopped with the XX3. You can argue semantics, but we are freaking sneakerheads for crying out loud, we got people complain about toe box slants on shoes we are going to crease anyway. As a lifelong fan of Michael Jordan and his playing career, having an air jordan 39 that looks like a yeezy 380 is just ridiculous. Who's the NBA face that wears the sig model anyway? I see kids in tatums and lukas more than the sig. ..cuz they ball out in them. Those are the only performance shoes that sell units anyway. Anthony Edwards is ballin this year...his shoes are moving units. Curry had Under Armor moving units his MVP year. Ja had his shoe moving last year during his breakout season. I bought a pair of D.roses his MVP season. Jordan is retired. The main line should be retired. Anybody saying anything different is out of touch with reality. Call em the Jordan 2024 and lets move on
Boo. Thumbs down 👎. I love the the Air Jordan. Only sneaker I will buy.

I'm deeply involved in elite youth basketball at middle, high school and college level, plus I take care of skills development for kids ranging from 6th grade to college level besides that and I see different.

It's true though that yougsters don't have eyes for Jordans yearly sig model only but it's up there, that's perfectly fine and that goes with the fact that there are several other great and inspiring products offered these days that are associated with other athletes that represent the current gen of young athletes in some different ways as well. I'd say peoples needs and values have broaden with time and the Kobes, Lebrons and others have different things to offer to the younger generations and it's positive in the end.

Historically, in the 80's and early 90's at some point Nike had only Michael with his name on a shoe. They were hesitant to even put another player's number(only) on a shoe, then they slowly started to incorporate other players initials and personalized logos on shoes with Barkley CB34 and the CW4 and etc... but they were signature line shoes only(much line PE's) but NOT true signature shoes per se. Around the same period came the other true ''full'' signature shoes from other companies the Shaq's and I3 from Reebok, Cons with LJ, LA Gear with Malone, etc. Nike then multiplied the signature lines with Zo, Jason Kidd, Nash, Garnett, Pip, etc and a few years later the Kobe's and Lebron's eras amongst others.

Point is even back then in the mid 90's, there were kids looking fwd to other shoes and sources of inspiration besides Jordan. It's always been like that and today is no different, it's just that the other players names have changed over time, more signature shoes available not only from Nike and Jordan is still at the top of the food chain, so lets not forget our history here and lets not lose sight of the broader picture either.

At 200$ retail when you got kids growing up and outgrowing shoes every 3-6 months, I can understand parents pushing their younger kids towards a 140$ Ja shoe or JT, Zion or whatever other option as well, so it's no different to me than the 90's when Nike introduced the signature line in the end, just a more evolved way to market the products. Lastly lets not underestimate the Impact Kobe, Lebron or others might have on their respective generations. The pie has certainly gotten bigger with time but it can only be shared and seperated a finite number of ways, i.e. there is a limit when it comes to market share. That's how I see it but that takes absolutely nothing from Jordan or the Air Jordan line, but rather the opposite since they are still super relevant to this day and always will be IMO.

SR-71 SR-71 I put stock in what you report because you're actually around kids a lot, and kids who ball. That's probably a way better gauge of who's moving product than what any one of us see out on the streets these days. Like I said, I don't hardly see anyone wearing LeBrons--and I live in L.A. Still see way more people wearing Kobe stuff. But it's not like a daily occurrence. (Of course, part of that may be the fact hardly anyone can actually get their hands on Nike Kobe product.) That said, I'm not going places where there are lots of kids and these days I'm no longer hanging out in gyms.

Hell, I see WAYYYYYYYY more people across all demographics and genders rocking Dunks and Air Max 1s than just about anything else, especially now that the Yeezy craze seems to have died.

Going back to the original point that started this bit of convo, I see little evidence to support this idea some people here have that it's time for the sig J to die.

I’m surprised to hear kids in 2024 are wearing Kobe’s in any large volume. They sell out so fast and there’s been so few releases the past 4 years that it doesn’t seem like you’d see a lot of em on the court right now. Are kids wearing Hardens or AEs right now? The AEs seem to be moving fast but it’s hard to judge if a lot of that is low production numbers.

I figured there’s a good amount of LeBrons and UA Currys on the court and I’ve read quite a bit about the Sabrina’s having strong crossover with teen boys on court too. Then I assume a lesser amount of KDs, Jas, Lukas, Tatums, Zions. None of them doing huge numbers but a decent amount of all of them.

Well articulated. Perhaps I’m jaded by how I grew up and what I’m used to: Air Jordan being the dominant force. I’m just not sure that’s the case anymore in terms of new performance sig models from what I am around now. I am a DIE HARD Jordan fan and have owned every single model to date. Even for me though these 39’s feel very uninspired for lack of a better term. I think my thoughts on discontinuing the Numbered series is what happened like I said from the AJ 2009-2012 especially when Kobe’s and Lebron models took off. Now these past couple models. Maybe I also expect too much from Jordan Brand?

I look forward to seeing the new model every year, as I really only wear signature models. I own no other brand and don't ever plan on it.

With that being said, the only ones I've liked since 1999 are the 34s, 1 colorway of the 35s, and 2 colorways of the 36s. I wait every year to see the newest model, and for 20 years in a row I was disappointed. 37-39 aren't for me. Let's see if a 40something speaks to me.

Last edited:
Nobody said stop making a yearly performance model. I am a hooper and love performance basketball shoes. However, the line should of stopped with the XX3. You can argue semantics, but we are freaking sneakerheads for crying out loud, we got people complain about toe box slants on shoes we are going to crease anyway. As a lifelong fan of Michael Jordan and his playing career, having an air jordan 39 that looks like a yeezy 380 is just ridiculous. Who's the NBA face that wears the sig model anyway? I see kids in tatums and lukas more than the sig. ..cuz they ball out in them. Those are the only performance shoes that sell units anyway. Anthony Edwards is ballin this year...his shoes are moving units. Curry had Under Armor moving units his MVP year. Ja had his shoe moving last year during his breakout season. I bought a pair of D.roses his MVP season. Jordan is retired. The main line should be retired. Anybody saying anything different is out of touch with reality. Call em the Jordan 2024 and lets move on
Maybe 40 will be the last sig.

I’m surprised to hear kids in 2024 are wearing Kobe’s in any large volume. They sell out so fast and there’s been so few releases the past 4 years that it doesn’t seem like you’d see a lot of em on the court right now. Are kids wearing Hardens or AEs right now? The AEs seem to be moving fast but it’s hard to judge if a lot of that is low production numbers.

I figured there’s a good amount of LeBrons and UA Currys on the court and I’ve read quite a bit about the Sabrina’s having strong crossover with teen boys on court too. Then I assume a lesser amount of KDs, Jas, Lukas, Tatums, Zions. None of them doing huge numbers but a decent amount of all of them.
I see fewer Kobe's only because they're not widely available, next to unobtainable like you said and to me it's a shame, but they're on kids feet whenever they can get a hold of them and definitely at the top of everyone's wish list. I bet there would still be plenty if they were more widely available.

A constant flow of Lebrons on court.

Noticeably fewer KD's, Harden's and Curry's as time goes by.

A few Way of Wade here and there.

Lots of Giannis Freaks in the last few years, some Lucas, very few JT.

Lots of latest trends yearly that come and go like Puma LaMelo's, Ja's, Zion and others.

The 31,32, 34, 35, 36 were everywhere on court, 33 a few here and there but not that many, 37 absolutely NOWHERE! 37 low I've seen some, 38 suprisingly not that many so far.

edit: I see lots Jordan retros on court too but more with younger or lower level players. Higher level and older players tend to go more with one of the latest models and they keep their retros more for practice or casual wear mainly because they don't wanna damage them.

Last edited:
I coach at the junior high/middle school level and work with the high school we feed into. Kobe’s, lebrons, kds, Ja’s, Hardens, Ants(this season) were the most popular by far. You’d get a few Way of Wades. I actually saw more kids try to play in retros than I did play in the current sig. When I first wore my 38s to the school, the kids would ask what shoe I’m wearing and I’d tell them the Air Jordan 38. Their response was, “The 38!?!?” The response wasn’t shocked or excited, it was always more of that they were unaware Jordan’s sig went that high in number.

Well articulated. Perhaps I’m jaded by how I grew up and what I’m used to: Air Jordan being the dominant force. I’m just not sure that’s the case anymore in terms of new performance sig models from what I am around now. I am a DIE HARD Jordan fan and have owned every single model to date. Even for me though these 39’s feel very uninspired for lack of a better term. I think my thoughts on discontinuing the Numbered series is what happened like I said from the AJ 2009-2012 especially when Kobe’s and Lebron models took off. Now these past couple models. Maybe I also expect too much from Jordan Brand?
No I don't think you're expecting too much as the Brand has always been stating loud and clear they were all about Excellence, so...

Fundamentaly I'm just like you man and I went through that deep questioning phase where I was on the fence a few times actually with the 21, 24,2010, 2011, 2012...even 28-29-30 at first much like many others, thing is I think us OG's 1- are just getting older, 2-nostalgia and 3- many have stopped playing ball, but what kept me in in the end was 1-being around and understanding that newer generation over time which was a challenge at times I must admit 2-and the fact that I'm on court basically every day so I was able to keep that special bond with basketball and J's as such an important part of my life.

I think the brand also went through different phases over time. I think they asked the right questions eventually and managed to come up with the right answers too most of the time. They honestly got it before I did! lol
I like the direction they been going, granted the world and the game has evolved greatly and it's doing so at an accelerated pace right now and they do a good job keeping up even when it's harder than ever for everyone and still be ahead of the curve as they did for the most part of the last 10 years. The 39 might be just that...who knows? maybe it's me again getting old(er) and getting late to the party!

I shoulda learned by now! 😂

Last edited:
I see fewer Kobe's only because they're not widely available, next to unobtainable like you said and to me it's a shame, but they're on kids feet whenever they can get a hold of them and definitely at the top of everyone's wish list. I bet there would still be plenty if they were more widely available.

A constant flow of Lebrons on court.

Noticeably fewer KD's, Harden's and Curry's as time goes by.

A few Way of Wade here and there.

Lots of Giannis Freaks in the last few years, some Lucas, very few JT.

Lots of latest trends yearly that come and go like Puma LaMelo's, Ja's, Zion and others.

The 31,32, 34, 35, 36 were everywhere on court, 33 a few here and there but not that many, 37 absolutely NOWHERE! 37 low I've seen some, 38 suprisingly not that many so far.
Sounds about right... The designs fell off after 36 imo.

Man I hoop on the regular. I hang with nothing but hoopers. Nobody is wearing these sig models like that. What state are you guys in? I see 38’s mainly in college games and NBA games. But if I see a pair in a youth game or at a LA Fitness is definitely rare. Y’all gotta stop the cap.

Back
Top Bottom