Air Jordan 5 OG “Black Metallic” Returning 2025 !

The reality is, there are still a LOT of improvement/changes to be made on every single damn model, if we're talking about getting them all closer to OGs. Some are already better than others, including the recent IIIs and suddenly the IVs. But if you actually put them side by side with OGs, you'd see the differences immediately. So I more than welcome ongoing attempts to get closer, even though it shouldn't be that difficult to do it and "attempts" should be more like "mission accomplished."

Yeah they went backwards with the Breds. My brothers pair of concords had the slant toe box, but my pair didn’t. I was working at Champs at the time for the 2019 bred release but idk, when I saw pics of the OGs I just didn’t get the same vibe but it’s cuz the sole was way too dull and the shape was funny. The first pic is my 2019 pair and those are the OG’s. Completely different shoe

They gotta find a way to bring the puffiness back to 11's.

Here is my two DS pairs of playoff 11s. The first pair has a slight angled toebox, particularly on the left shoe. The second pair doesn’t have it at all, and neither does the pair I wear.

IMG_0933.jpeg

IMG_0934.jpeg

Man the red on the playoff outsoles without any lighting looks even darker than it is, oof. It’s bordering on Carmine lol. They need to get that detail fixed on the next release.

Both my Concords have it, though. DS pair pictured.
IMG_0938.jpeg
IMG_0937.jpeg
yeah bro they did the toe boxes pretty well on most the concords. Unfortunately my pair didn’t get the slant toe though 🤦🏾‍♂️ I was working at Champs too, I really could have picked out my own pair, but I was looking out for the homies. I think the cool greys actually had it the most consistent. (I know this isn’t the 11’s thread, I’m not trying to derail)

Attachments

• IMG_5526.jpeg
    IMG_5526.jpeg
    752 KB · Views: 623
My .02 for where each model currently is, 1-14.

1: 85’ cut is good enough for me. It’s not totally a 1:1 of the actual 85’s but close enough.

2: I can’t say I really like these enough to care. But I do have the black/cements, and these seem to be near identical to the OG 2’s in terms of shape, height, profile, etc.

3: 3’s are fine as they are imo. Not much else they can do with them. Maybe make them a little taller? Idk. This model is currently in the best shape of all the old Jordans though.

4: They are FINALLY getting to a point of being acceptable, or even pretty good. All the pics of people getting their MB’s have me more excited for a 4 release than ever before, or at least since 99’.

5: tongue, tongue, tongues. Did I say tongues? Yea. Those need fixin. Ankle bubbles are too big also. Toe isn’t too bad but still not quite where it should be. Definitely plenty of room for improvements.

6: the 6 is in pretty good shape overall. Needs taller tongues, and the toebox could still use a slight improvement.

7: 7’s are in a great place overall if the recent Cardinals are the new standard. They just need to retro more OG’s already, most of them are pretty long overdue.

8: like the 7, they are in a great spot. Only complaint I have is the back pull tabs are still too small.

9: they are getting better. Recent Powders are a good retro but still a ways to go. Higher mudguard, bigger jumpman, and still some corrections to the toe profile are needed.

10: we don’t get many of these anymore, but the last retros were pretty spot on to the OG as far as I could tell. Someone correct me if I’m wrong.

11: 11’s are in a great spot with just small improvements needed. I’d LOVE to see Concords, Breds, and Jams comeback again with that angular OG toe box. #23 on the Cords, and the correct shade of red on the Breds outsole. That candy apple red on the OG is everything. Wouldn’t mind thicker patent cuts either but probably asking for too much. All in all this model is in a very good spot.

12: shape is getting better but still a ways to go on that bulky build the OG had. Also, they need to start using better leather on these. Recent white/reds are a good retro but they didn’t knock it out of the park quite like the Playoff 13…

13: last Playoffs were outstanding. Not perfect to the OG, but VERY close. Use better leather, make the toe just A LITTLE lower, and refine the wrapping panels that go to the back of the shoe slightly, and you basically have the OG. Next black/reds MUST have this mold AND the correct shade of red!! Bred 13’s are one of my grails and how the next release turns out is super critical for me.

14: shape is off a bit on these still, they lack that aerodynamic, sleek look the og has, though they aren’t as bad as say the 9’s. Collar height and toe need the biggest changes imo.
You nailed this. Only thing I’ll add is that the toes on 1s and 5s are more important to me. So much so I actually hate the 85s. For my money the 2015-2016 OG highs had a more sleek toe and are better for it. I understand the collar, sole, and height differences, but the toe trumps all that for me.

The bred 11 is my favorite shoe ever, I had two pairs of OG’s at one point and owned every retro version except the 2012. The shade of red on the OG is just a thing a beauty, it’s PeERFECT. I love my 2019’s, I have 3 pairs, but it really grinds my gears sometimes that the red sole is too dark on an otherwise great retro.

I did notice that one of my concord retros does actually have the angled toebox pretty similar to the OG. None of my Breds have it though. I’ll post up pics later to show the variance.
There was a variation on toe slants on both those concords and playoffs. Unfortunately both mine are chunky. There was a bit of variation on the OGs as well but it was better overall. Not sure if they were all made in Taiwan or not but the pairs I’ve seen with the super slant were.

The toe wrap on my 19 concords is so bad it makes them uncomfortable.

Yea both I remember in 96’ both my Concords and playoffs had the slanted toe, but it was more prominent on the latter. So much so that I actually noticed it as an 18 year old kid in 96’ 🤣. We didn’t usually look at details like that back then but I saw it clear as day.

I wonder if this is the sneaker that's going to release for the all star weekend in February. I feel its gotta be these, the Flu Game 12's or the Black & Red 1 High 85's.

I wonder if this is the sneaker that's going to release for the all star weekend in February. I feel its gotta be these, the Flu Game 12's or the Black & Red 1 High 85's.
It’ll be the 35th anniversary of MJ wearing them in the all star game. They’ve been doing that lately. The black/white 12s were supposed to drop on the 25th anniversary in 2022. The 13s dropped on their 25th anniversary last year. 4s this year, etc. I’d say 5s next All Star weekend is a foregone conclusion.

Literally the first thing I do when I get a pair of shoes, regardless of when I plan to wear them... is take the laces out, make sure they are even on both sides, and relace then flat and straight.

Only shoes I don't usually do that with are Dunk SBs.

Literally the first thing I do when I get a pair of shoes, regardless of when I plan to wear them... is take the laces out, make sure they are even on both sides, and relace then flat and straight.

Only shoes I don't usually do that with are Dunk SBs.
Sounds like you may have mild OCD brother... I used to enjoy lacing up my kicks but the older I get, the more I prefer my kicks to be prelaced. I was low-key heated when I copped those snakeskin 2 lows and they came unlaced. All the 2 lows I copped before that were already prelaced :lol:

Back
Top Bottom