Air Jordan 5 Retro 'Fire Red' 2013 Vol: No 23

I love everyone picking it apart but everyone will still want a pair. If anything to rock all the time. I'll for sure get these.

I like the 23 on the side; adds more character,

This is a meaningless statement. What does this mean? How does adding "23" on the side give the shoe more "character?" Please define what you mean by character.

If you like the 23, just say, I don't mind the "23." Or, the MJ PEs had the "23" so I don't really consider it much of a departure. But, you are just making stuff up.

What about a picture of a catcher's mitt or an ottoman lasered on the shoe? More or less character? What about "integrity" and "gumption," how would you rate those attributes?

I love everyone picking it apart but everyone will still want a pair. If anything to rock all the time. I'll for sure get these.

You think the blue sole is "picking these apart?"

These are not imperceptible differences. There are plenty of instances of NT getting way too obsessed with minutiae, but this is not one of them.

The Fire Red V is my favorite Jordan ever. When the change the entire color of one of the defining elements of the shoe, that qualifies as something worth noting.

Will I buy anyway? Likely not. I have no shortage of '99s.

If that's what the official release pairs wind up looking like...that's money back in my pocket.

Last edited:
Geez, that's too blue! It's going to yellow differently with clear netting.

You know - maybe that's the impetus.

We all focus on the cheap quality as a means for JB to increase profit margins, but there's another potential dynamic at play here, which is the move toward making Jordans disposable. If the 99s were of today's quality, I wouldn't be able to say I'm going to pass today because I wouldn't be able to still be sitting pairs from a decade + ago.

The blue sole is not just ugly, it is a different color than the netting, both of which will yellow, but do so differently because they are drastically different bases. Think about what this shoe will look like 4 years from now? Will it have lots of resale value and appear preferable to the next re-retro (the way the '99 Vs are today)? No, it won't. Because it will look like some Frankenstein weirdness.

So, there you have a disposable version of one of JB's most prized creations. Perhaps the idea is to force people to buy each release of a shoe. If that's the case, then the blue sole is just another way to achieve the goal of making sure these look terrible by the time the next version of the V comes out.

I'll tell you this - anybody considering buying 2 pairs of this release would be better served to buy 1 pair of 99s.

I'm glad they have the older retro look with the silver on the toung and not the black

I'm glad they have the older retro look with the silver on the toung and not the black
That's not an older retro look; it's a completely different shoe. It (the black tongue 5) was the first PE basketball shoe, hence the 23 on the side. 

Not at all a fan of the blue tint. Looks weird now, and can only imagine how weird it will look when the yellow sets in.

Is it just my eyes playing tricks on me, or does the toe box look a little long and funky?

Comparison to the OG mold is inconclusive, but something seems a little off
Maybe I've been ruined by all the stupid IV toe-box problems, but I always felt that the V's were one of the few shoes that JB managed not to ruin the shape, hope this isnt that start of that with the V's

The sole whether its blue or completely clear will turn yellow after 10 wears anyway, who cares.

Maybe it's because none of you wear your shoes tho.

The sole whether its blue or completely clear will turn yellow after 10 wears anyway, who cares.

Maybe it's because none of you wear your shoes tho.

False assumption. Just because shoes will eventually break down after many wears doesn't mean we should have to accept poor quality.
Is it too much to ask that the shoe at least look normal for the first 10 wears?:rolleyes

For those who wear their shoes, the biggest problem with the blue tinted soles is that it will age and yellow differently from the clear netting. If JB is gonna change something, they need to at least do it consistently. So, beyond the esthetic difference of the blue color, which I am not a fan of, it will look even worse after you wear them

So I guess next year I'll have a pair of 2013's with a blue sole, and a pair of 99's with a yellow sole. It sure would be nice to just have a pair with a clear sole.

^^^

I mean, its a totally different shoe, plus we havent seen the White/Black V in a solo release in a long time
Are you saying you just prefer the Firered V? or do you think they should be releasing that again?
I love my Firered V's, but I feel like the time is right for the White/Blacks to drop solo

Back
Top Bottom