Air jordan III questions

Originally Posted by veGAtts

the black cements came out in 2001, that is why they still had the Nike Air. During that time OG colorways were retroed with Nike Air and retro+ colorways would have the Jumpman Air. For instance, in 2000 the retro 5s had Nike Air on OG colorways (black/silver and fire reds; but Jumpmen on laneys and white/silver). But sometime between the black cements (july 2001) and the true blues (november 2001) Jordan brand decided they no longer wanted to have nike written on any of their shoes, even if they were OG colorways.

The real reason has been debated, but in my opinion, they simply decided it was better for sales and marketing to feature the jumpman. as much as "we" don't like it, the average sneaker customer would rather buy a shoe with a jumpman than a nike air. The jumpman has established itself as the symbol for "cool" so there is no real reason for Jordan brand not to promote itself on its own shoes. I know that isn't how the shoe looked back in 1988-92 but how many average customers give a damm or even know? Not many.
thanks

There is really no solid information as to why the Nike Air was taken off the shoes. It has nothing to do with branching off, as Jordan Brand was createdaround the time of the OG XIII. There have been many different reasons posted, but I do not believe that any have been proven to be 100% correct.

they put the jumpman to screw with us because they have plans on bring them back out later with nike air

^well is there really a true answer or is it all jus different angles? who knows atleast we got suttin to talk about
laugh.gif

One claim made by Gentry Humphrey was that Nike Air was removed from the back of the shoes to protect OG collectors.
Oddly enough, Humphrey is one of those collectors.

The real reason has never been confirmed.

Some suggest that JB are trying to differentiate themselves from Nike.

Others suggest that JB are trying to avoid paying royalties for using the Nike Air logo.
One could perhaps argue that any royalties Nike would charge probably wouldn't add that much to the price of a shoe... but with JB cutting corners whoknows.

i once saw a tinker hatfield sketch of the air jordan revolution (AKA AJ iii) and on the back TPU heel tab it had a jumpman and the word AIR.

ive been tryin a say that the loss of nike air is not a gentry idea but rather the work of the very master behindt he designs, tinker.

Originally Posted by celtixhalfshell

i once saw a tinker hatfield sketch of the air jordan revolution (AKA AJ iii) and on the back TPU heel tab it had a jumpman and the word AIR.

ive been tryin a say that the loss of nike air is not a gentry idea but rather the work of the very master behindt he designs, tinker.
hmmmmm, interesting

Back
Top Bottom