AIR JORDAN REST IN PEACE

Yeah OG, I agree that was a poorly written article. Decent points. But the delivery was terrible.

Anyhow, I agree that the packs chased away a lot of the older collectors. But the HUGE hype brought in tenfold the amount that JB had lost.

Part of the problem is that the TRUE shoeheads don't do a good enough job of educating the younger kids coming up. If you have little cousins orsons/daughters, it's part of your duty to try and sway the younger generation AWAY from fusions and 6 rings and other crap like that. Because if youdon't, that's just another soul lost to JB brainwashing.

Originally Posted by wrukus

agree. the problem with marketing for the younger crowd is that younger crowds didnt grow up watching mj. they dont remember the first pair of original js they had. to them its just a trendy style. let rappers start talking about some other kind of shoe and they will move on to the next trend. jb needs to listen to the faithful crowd that have been with them from day one. once they lose us, all they'll have is kids who are just jocking the latest trend. they better step that quality up.

That's the point, MJ means nothing to those who didn't see him play, to them he's just a logo. But to me it was that first pair, itwas how wearing them to school the first time made me feel (the moment i became a sneakerhead), it was being pumped when he was wearing my colorway on a givennight, it was the first time I scored points in a little league game in my first pair. To be honest I kind of think it is rediculous that numberedJordan's are even made if he didn't play in them, it really doesn't make sense, but I guess that's why it's "Jordan Brand" andnot "Nike Air Jordans". I think Jordan brand probably should fade away, wait like five years, and then Nike should put out some retros again.

Seriously, know your roots JB. We wouldn't be where we are today if we didn't have the foundation of original jordan's with colors schemes thatactually made sense.

jb is playing its self out wit so many whack fusions and the cdp was a mistake more people would have got the shoes if they were released single and not in apack

JB will be dead to the sneakerhead, but as a business...not anytime soon.

most ppl (myself included) forget that the sneakerhead only makes up a small portion of the overall Air Jordan consumer market

i just go by this rule: i buy what Jordan shoes i like and i pass on what i don't like, it doesn't matter if its OG or fusions or whatever

Originally Posted by ThunderChunk69

Originally Posted by endemic415

sorry, had to be a jerk
INTERESTION IM MY OPENION
laugh.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
I honestly laughed out loud for a good 3 minutes
roll.gif
roll.gif

eek.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

JB is OD'n on the hybrid/combo jordans....the team jordan line itself is also terrible b/c all of the team shoes look like knock-off retros

As far as retros go, I don't expect Jb to release the same retros in the same OG colorways every single year but a lot of the newer colorways are tootrendy, too dunkish if that makes any since....

And the 2009 is a great shoe performance wise but the over all look just doesn't appeal to alotta people like the XX3... and the whole 2009 concept is kindof wack imo, I mean come on u name ur nxt signature shoe the AJ 2009????
smh.gif

Originally Posted by Shoebacca

agree. the problem with marketing for the younger crowd is that younger crowds didnt grow up watching mj. they dont remember the first pair of original js they had. to them its just a trendy style. let rappers start talking about some other kind of shoe and they will move on to the next trend. jb needs to listen to the faithful crowd that have been with them from day one. once they lose us, all they'll have is kids who are just jocking the latest trend. they better step that quality up.
That's the point, MJ means nothing to those who didn't see him play, to them he's just a logo. But to me it was that first pair, it was how wearing them to school the first time made me feel (the moment i became a sneakerhead), it was being pumped when he was wearing my colorway on a given night, it was the first time I scored points in a little league game in my first pair. To be honest I kind of think it is rediculous that numbered Jordan's are even made if he didn't play in them, it really doesn't make sense, but I guess that's why it's "Jordan Brand" and not "Nike Air Jordans". I think Jordan brand probably should fade away, wait like five years, and then Nike should put out some retros again.

But honestly what can the brand do about MJ's mystique? What you are describing is something that can only be felt by those who watched himplay. Cats that grew up watching MJ don't give a flying wazoo about Wilt Chamberlain. This is not a business decision whatsoever, there's nothing JBcan do about it. For kids these days it's about Dwyane Wade, Kobe Bryant, and LeBron James...not MJ. I'm 25 and I don't really get that feelinganymore because of the fact that I'm 25. I still love the shoes but it's not how it was and it never will be because of the fact that I'm older.

I collect RETROS....Im not a fan of CDP's, Fusions, Dub Zeros, or Spiz'ikes. So no more retros means more money going into my car imma have to getthat fresh black paint on my BMW.

Originally Posted by LeftyKB8

That's the point, MJ means nothing to those who didn't see him play, to them he's just a logo. But to me it was that first pair, it was how wearing them to school the first time made me feel (the moment i became a sneakerhead), it was being pumped when he was wearing my colorway on a given night, it was the first time I scored points in a little league game in my first pair. To be honest I kind of think it is rediculous that numbered Jordan's are even made if he didn't play in them, it really doesn't make sense, but I guess that's why it's "Jordan Brand" and not "Nike Air Jordans". I think Jordan brand probably should fade away, wait like five years, and then Nike should put out some retros again.
But honestly what can the brand do about MJ's mystique? What you are describing is something that can only be felt by those who watched him play. Cats that grew up watching MJ don't give a flying wazoo about Wilt Chamberlain. This is not a business decision whatsoever, there's nothing JB can do about it. For kids these days it's about Dwyane Wade, Kobe Bryant, and LeBron James...not MJ. I'm 25 and I don't really get that feeling anymore because of the fact that I'm 25. I still love the shoes but it's not how it was and it never will be because of the fact that I'm older.

Exactly, I'm the same age as you and I feel the same way, I just bring myself to care about the NBA today. I guess my point is it reallydoesn't even make sense to me that there is a Jordan brand, he's gone, so is most of the influence he once had (he had a lot). Why the separatebrand at all? Nike should just take back over, give us a few retros every year or so, and save the money of funding a whole other label. Jordan distancinghimself from the NBA is also why it's less popular than the NHL now, (no bull, saw that on ESPN a while back in a poll)

Originally Posted by LeftyKB8

But honestly what can the brand do about MJ's mystique? What you are describing is something that can only be felt by those who watched him play. Cats that grew up watching MJ don't give a flying wazoo about Wilt Chamberlain. This is not a business decision whatsoever, there's nothing JB can do about it. For kids these days it's about Dwyane Wade, Kobe Bryant, and LeBron James...not MJ. I'm 25 and I don't really get that feeling anymore because of the fact that I'm 25. I still love the shoes but it's not how it was and it never will be because of the fact that I'm older.
Exactly, I'm the same age as you and I feel the same way, I just bring myself to care about the NBA today. I guess my point is it really doesn't even make sense to me that there is a Jordan brand, he's gone, so is most of the influence he once had (he had a lot). Why the separate brand at all? Nike should just take back over, give us a few retros every year or so, and save the money of funding a whole other label. Jordan distancing himself from the NBA is also why it's less popular than the NHL now, (no bull, saw that on ESPN a while back in a poll)

I strongly disagree that JB should be taken over by Nike. Really? At the end of the day it's still Michael Jordan's legacy and Nike can't takesomething like that from him.

jordan brand will always be alive in some way they not going no where if fila is still around lol

Just the mere discussion of this topic should be sounding alarm bells over at JB. But the fact is they are in the business of of maximizing their profits andwell all are aware of the extreme dip in quality since the white cement 3's. What Jordan brand is banking on is young kids (30%-40% of NT) not caring aboutthe quality of the shoe which ironically is one of the marketing points of JB. Sooner or later people will catch on and spend their money else where but bythat time it will be too late and they will have lost a significant portion of their customer base; which to some extent has already happened. And lets notforget that JB refuses to make a team jordan, or jordan yearly release look as good or better than a signature shoe, which clearly is the case with the09'. Yes JB has brought in a second generation of customers, but I highly doubt they will bring in a 3rd.

JB is trying to tap into a new market. There is a whole generation who weren't able to see Mike in his prime, some didn't get to see him at all. Sothere has to be a new connection made with a new consumer. I personally don't like what is going on but I rely on the sales of Jordan footwear because I amin the retail business so I understand. There will always be retro for us, but we have to look at this from a business level not a "sneakerhead"level. We have had Air Jordans sine 85 how can we complain when a company reinvents the way they do things. We can count on one hand how many OG j's thathave'nt been retroed and with time they will be and we will have the chance to get seconds, thirds, and fourth pairs of our favorite shoe's. At thispoint I will say I too dislike the hybrids, fusions and what not but I don't have to buy them. I consider myself a purest in this game I do things todaythat I did 12 years ago when it comes to kicks. If I don't like it i won't buy it not matter if it is rare, limited or someone assumes it will have afuture value. That is not what I am in this game for and I hope the same for everyone else. JB can't make us spend our money on this @#%* leave that tothose who love fusions and all the hybrids. Nike puts out pippens which are great, barkley's, lebrons, kobes, penny's and a ton of dope air max, butthey also put out walking shoes and a whole gang of bob store specials that "We" won't pick up for anything. So lets not jump on JB so hard theyare doing what thay are doing to insure that they will be around 20 years from now we just have to accept that business grow that is why they are in business.Doing the samething day in and day out does not promte growth. They are growing up we should too.

Originally Posted by MJsaver

hmmm interesting article! I DISAGREE THAT CDP SHOULDNT HAVE EXISTED!! JB is messing up but the cdp gave people a chance 2 catch up without paying 500 a pair for og's. Fusions and ugly colors are killin JB not cdp. Dont buy new J's catch up on your faves n classics!!!!
indifferent.gif
I would rather have a pair of shoes crumble on me, than Pay 330, inc tax, for two pairs of crap. Seriously, JB and there reasons for changes inretros are ridiculous. Ive been done with JB. Theyre a joke, and until they realize that and fix things, then Ill come back, which is highly unlikely.

Just buy the ones you like, I don't mind all the crap, let the kids waste their money on Fusions, and save the good stuff for me.

Jordan Brand is smart, and they will be along for a LONG time to come. I see 5th graders in my class (suburban CT town) wearing Jordans. They are all intowhatever has a Jordan on it, not retros, but teams or fusions. They are fans without ever seeing the man play. The test for JB was when Jordan finally retiredfrom playing for good. It is going on 6 years, and Jordans are quite possible more popular than ever. You truley have something for everyone at this point, andthat is what they wanted. The old collectors like myself still have a few things to look forward to, but not as much as in the past. I do believe that theywill move on from us collectors and will eventualy (within 3-5 years) completley cater to their up and coming crowd.

i know its coming to an END soon eventually,but hey,we're all just FANS/CONSUMERS of the product ,anytime, we can stop purchasing Air Jordans,but we DONT'til the last drop of our income,because of the LOVE of the Shoe Game,and we call ourselves an ADDICT,shoe addict,its all good with me,im an old fart,i gotthem all OG's and Retros,if the perfect time comes,'ima pass all my kicks to my son,he's 12 now and pretty soon he's gonna be sporting all myJ's

Back
Top Bottom