Air Jordan Retro 9 “Powder Blue” OG March 23, 2024

I mean relative to one another, not in general. Obviously 9’s don’t have the popularity of something like a 3 or an 11. But I mean these two particular 9’s. In 94’, hella people had the Charcoals, it was the second most popular 9 right after the white/blacks. A few people had the Powders. I don’t recall seeing even ONE person with Olives in the wild back then. At my school or otherwise.

It’s just strange to me we are going on the 4th retro of Olives and have only seen one (mediocre) retro of the Charcoals, considering a black/red Jordan will always be more popular than a one off like the Olives.
There’s so much that goes into planning a lineup for production and sales, especially 3 years out. There’s countless examples of them holding out on certain colorways way too long. But that in no way correlates to popularity when creating a product mix.

If anything, hitting the olives and doing these better than the last ones speaks to how much the Gentry era botched IX retros. We’ve discussed in the Olive thread the botched 2012 release where very few people got pairs and a lot ended up coming from B grades that appeared at outlets. Then the fake out on Olives with that hornets BS.

Charcoals are overdue, but I don’t think it’s because the company doesn’t think they could sell them. And honestly these powders have moved pretty well. Sizes are dried up on a lot of places. Probably a restock coming but these didn’t sell poorly.

cool greys in 2025?🤬Why does JB hate the Charcoals so much?? At this point it’s almost like a sleeper colorway, yet it was arguably the second most popular colorway back in 94’. Was my favorite 9 back then and still is today.

need charcoals

Again in ‘94 people wanted the Bulls colors like every other year. But in the context of all the Jordan models that are available now there are tons of black/grey/red options and only 1 olive. Add to it that the Olives didn’t release in 2010 when a new generation of Jordan fans sprung out of the 09 Space Jam release. Then when they finally released in 2012 it was a weird limited release and resale shot up.

I decided to wear my pair to do a few workouts. It’s the toebox “leather” that gets me. Doing moves like mountain climbers and lunges legit hurt my toes based on how the toebox bent. It was very rigid and dug into my foot. I would have been ok if they only gave us good toebox leather and put whatever else type of leather all around the rest of the shoe.

I didnt know a 1994 model retro shoe was to have the same feel expectation from a trainer kick in 2024. I have Under Armor that I wear to the gym that feels better than any Jordan I own. I paid 45 bucks for them. At what point did our comfort expectation of 25 plus year old copies alighn with todays shoes? Do we actually believe the retroes will give todays shoes type comfort?

I didnt know a 1994 model retro shoe was to have the same feel expectation from a trainer kick in 2024. I have Under Armor that I wear to the gym that feels better than any Jordan I own. I paid 45 bucks for them. At what point did our comfort expectation of 25 plus year old copies alighn with todays shoes? Do we actually believe the retroes will give todays shoes type comfort?

Totally true, but if they actually made all the retros feel and perform like the OGs, it wouldn’t be that silly to wear them for workouts :lol:
IX retros in particular. Conversely, something like the 2018 black-toe 13s are legit comfortable with bouncy Zoom underfoot. Maybe all 13 retros have the same feel but I can’t say because other than those black toes, I only have the Flints, which are also comfy and feel good underfoot.

I wear all my shoes to do whatever in them. I currently wear my shadow 1s to mow the lawn. I threw in a carbon fiber insert and they feel pretty good. As far the as the IXs, comfort wise they are fine. I’m sure they will break in nicely. My only immediate issue was the toe box faux pleather. On a few occasions the material turned into a right angle and dug into my foot. Thats not great.

Totally true, but if they actually made all the retros feel and perform like the OGs, it wouldn’t be that silly to wear them for workouts :lol:
IX retros in particular. Conversely, something like the 2018 black-toe 13s are legit comfortable with bouncy Zoom underfoot. Maybe all 13 retros have the same feel but I can’t say because other than those black toes, I only have the Flints, which are also comfy and feel good underfoot.
That’s just the difference Zoom makes. I tried to hoop in my 2010 9s and they killed me. And I’ll usually hoop in anything. I would take Chucks over those 9s. I’m sure OGs had softer foam, but we’re never gonna get that back. 12s and 13s are Zoom and have always been great. Ever Nightwing says current 12 Retros are still a good performance sneaker.

That’s just the difference Zoom makes. I tried to hoop in my 2010 9s and they killed me. And I’ll usually hoop in anything. I would take Chucks over those 9s. I’m sure OGs had softer foam, but we’re never gonna get that back. 12s and 13s are Zoom and have always been great. Ever Nightwing says current 12 Retros are still a good performance sneaker.

I know that's the difference Zoom makes (if it's actually a bouncy Zoom bag you can feel). My point was, even though original Jordan designs are give or take 30 years old, that wouldn't automatically mean they are hugely antiquated for athletic activities--IF they were all made and felt like the OGs. Some pairs of retros are fine for it, and some aren't. Obviously in reality people can do just about anything in any sneaker. You can play basketball in Chucks if you want. But in terms of comfort and support vs. modern shoes, a lot of classic Nikes wouldn't be as far behind as they seem if they were made properly and still intended for athletic use rather than merely as lifestyle fashion pieces.

Don’t disagree but also don’t remember the OG IXs being a very comfortable shoe either. Remember murdering my pinky toes playing in these.

PXL_20240411_200636568.jpg Gym rotation when I do decide to wear em. They are all beat and fit perfectly to my foot. 7 still feels like pillows. Not of them are uncomfortable to me at all though.

Don’t disagree but also don’t remember the OG IXs being a very comfortable shoe either. Remember murdering my pinky toes playing in these.

I forgot to say, I never had a pair of OG IXs so I don't know if that specific model was always as hard underfoot as the retros or not. I was making a bigger point about retros in general compared to a lot of the OGs, whether we're talking regular Nike models or Jordans.

I forgot to say, I never had a pair of OG IXs so I don't know if that specific model was always as hard underfoot as the retros or not. I was making a bigger point about retros in general compared to a lot of the OGs, whether we're talking regular Nike models or Jordans.
I had the Charcoals in 1994, and don’t remember them feeling like bricks like many current 9’s do. No pinky toe issue either. The 9 I believe was the last model to use a polyurethane midsole and back then all shoes used an open cell version which made shoes much more comfortable (though less durable) than the closed cell version we get now.

I had the Charcoals in 1994, and don’t remember them feeling like bricks like many current 9’s do. No pinky toe issue either. The 9 I believe was the last model to use a polyurethane midsole and back then all shoes used an open cell version which made shoes much more comfortable (though less durable) than the closed cell version we get now.

I started with the IVs in '89, then had Vs, VIs, VIIs and VIIIs in succession before skipping the IX and X. I have no memories of any of those shoes being uncomfortable under foot. I didn't like playing in the VIIIs but that's because they got annoyingly hot. I also had loads of other Nikes I played in, and again I have no memory of any of them being uncomfortable in terms of their cushioning.

Yea I remember pretty much most of the Nikes being comfortable back then. I was mostly a Jordan guy but I had 1 or 2 pairs of Barkleys, air max 95, and the More Uptempo in 96’.

First Jordan for me was the 6. Had the black/infareds, playoff 7s, playoff 8s, charcoal 9, powder blue 10s, concord AND playoff 11s, Taxi and white/red 12s, HGG 13 and black/red 13, and the black toe 14s.

My point was, even though original Jordan designs are give or take 30 years old, that wouldn't automatically mean they are hugely antiquated for athletic activities--IF they were all made and felt like the OGs.... But in terms of comfort and support vs. modern shoes, a lot of classic Nikes wouldn't be as far behind as they seem if they were made properly and still intended for athletic use rather than merely as lifestyle fashion pieces.
QFT.

Pure facts right here.
The 9 I believe was the last model to use a polyurethane midsole and back then all shoes used an open cell version which made shoes much more comfortable (though less durable) than the closed cell version we get now.
I harp on this point all the time and use the 2020 recraft 90s as an example of what the old PU midsole used to feel like.

I hear the SB 4s and the reimagined jawns are softer, but I don't own either to speak to it.

I never had original 9s. I tried though. But if I can wear some 2010s with no problem, those had to be just fine.

QFT.

Pure facts right here.

I harp on this point all the time and use the 2020 recraft 90s as an example of what the old PU midsole used to feel like.

I hear the SB 4s and the reimagined jawns are softer, but I don't own either to speak to it.

The reimagined IVs do have softer midsole foam. My Desert Elephant IIIs also have a surprisingly soft midsole compared to most other IIIs, too.

finally saw the powders in person and they look really nice

I just refuse to buy shoes with white soles but I’d wear em if they were a gift

Back
Top Bottom