Air Jordan V retro OG - Nike Air - Fire Red/Silver tongue - May 2, 2020

Got mine in yesterday.
55D998A7-27EA-4CC0-BFFA-AE199587FC74.png
16C944CA-8950-4677-9D71-F7FC0B87A9CE.jpeg

Alright ...
Long day but finally got to screw around with my pair a bit tonight and wear them around the house. (looking at you spoonmanofthehour spoonmanofthehour )
This is a great retro. Much better than I thought it would be. Previous comments about them being bulky seem silly to me. It's been 30 years since I had the OGs, so I can't say if they are actually bigger, or about the same size, or whatever. What I can say is, these FEEL and look like an old-school shoe. They are not bulky on-foot; I think the perception comes from how Nike skimped out on previous retros of many Jordan models and slimmed them down to save a dollar, much like the 2011 XI retro, for example. If that crap is what you're used to, then yes, a reversion to how it should be is going to be jarring at first.
These? The shape is the best I've seen in a long time: narrower in the midfoot and then flared more around the toe box. I put them on the dresser earlier and just looked at them compared to how they look in the OG "Is it The Shoes?" commercial and I see a lot of similarity. Love it. When I look down at them on my feet, I feel something special. The change to the toe box or at least to the toe rand is HUGE. I can't understate what a difference this makes and how far it goes to contributing to the look and feeling of nostalgia--and the way it should be.
They are also comfortable. Anyone who calls these bricks might be right, but only in the context of what has come along since 1990. This is how I remember them feeling back then.
Materials are solid. This pair is clean, great QC. No complaints; if anything, I'm pleasantly surprised.
As I suspected before I had them in hand, the tongue finish is silly. Like, why? Also, the pressed-in Jumpan outline in the tongue itself used to be much more pronounced and noticeable. I pulled out my 2007 black/metallics, which have plenty of their own issues, but the tongue on them is solid. Took this pic in the dark with only the TV on in an attempt to capture it; you can see the difference in material and in the pressed-in outline, which is much more OG:
IMG_1461.jpg

Put that tongue on this shoe, and I'd have nothing to say in the negative sense without having an OG pair and pulling out a ruler and compass to check the overall dimensions, geometry of the shape, etc. I originally figured I would get one pair for posterity if nothing else. Ordered from BSTN and NDC and thought, I'll send one back. I will not be doing that unless my NDC pair that arrives tomorrow has QC issues. In fact, now I kind of wish I had a third pair coming even though I don't need it.
Bottom line: These are great. Only things I would change to make them closer to OG are the tongue finish and the over-pronounced ankle-bump molds we've been getting for years. It's pathetic they keep finding ways to get little details wrong, but in the context of a modern Air Jordan retro, these Vs are dope as hell.

Last edited:
Alright ...
Long day but finally got to screw around with my pair a bit tonight and wear them around the house. (looking at you spoonmanofthehour spoonmanofthehour )
This is a great retro. Much better than I thought it would be. Previous comments about them being bulky seem silly to me. It's been 30 years since I had the OGs, so I can't say if they are actually bigger, or about the same size, or whatever. What I can say is, these FEEL and look like an old-school shoe. They are not bulky on-foot; I think the perception comes from how Nike skimped out on previous retros of many Jordan models and slimmed them down to save a dollar, much like the 2011 XI retro, for example. If that crap is what you're used to, then yes, a reversion to how it should be is going to be jarring at first.
These? The shape is the best I've seen in a long time: narrower in the midfoot and then flared more around the toe box. I put them on the dresser earlier and just looked at them compared to how they look in the OG "Is it The Shoes?" commercial and I see a lot of similarity. Love it. When I look down at them on my feet, I feel something special. The change to the toe box or at least to the toe rand is HUGE. I can't understate what a difference this makes and how far it goes to contributing to the look and feeling of nostalgia--and the way it should be.
They are also comfortable. Anyone who calls these bricks might be right, but only in the context of what has come along since 1990. This is how I remember them feeling back then.
Materials are solid. This pair is clean, great QC. No complaints; if anything, I'm pleasantly surprised.
As I suspected before I had them in hand, the tongue finish is silly. Like, why? Also, the pressed-in Jumpan outline in the tongue itself used to be much more pronounced and noticeable. I pulled out my 2007 black/metallics, which have plenty of their own issues, but the tongue on them is solid. Took this pic in the dark with only the TV on in an attempt to capture it; you can see the difference in material and in the pressed-in outline, which is much more OG:
IMG_1461.jpg

Put that tongue on this shoe, and I'd have nothing to say in the negative sense without having an OG pair and pulling out a ruler and compass to check the overall dimensions, geometry of the shape, etc. I originally figured I would get one pair for posterity if nothing else. Ordered from BSTN and NDC and thought, I'll send one back. I will not be doing that unless my NDC pair that arrives tomorrow has QC issues. In fact, now I kind of wish I had a third pair coming even though I don't need it.
Bottom line: These are great. Only things I would change to make them closer to OG are the tongue finish and the over-pronounced ankle-bump molds we've been getting for years. It's pathetic they keep finding ways to get little details wrong, but in the context of a modern Air Jordan retro, these Vs are dope as hell.
Good write up!! I can’t believe it’s been 30 years since I got my first pair of Jordans. I hope they do as good or better of a job on the black tongues man. You would think they would retro those for the 30th anniversary also.

I wish I could take the tongue off and replace it with my 2000 retros. Like most that is my only real complaint.

I have been in the Jordan game since the 1 in 1986 (6th grade) but I never had a pair of 5’s - until these. I didn’t want to spend the $200, but I will say - at least they gave us great materials and shape. They are also actually comfortable on foot. Good job.
This. The leather on these are surprisingly good imo

JB trolling with these huge tongues. ok, let's give the people a nice shape and decent leather, but let's change the tongue a little bit. make them want the next one to be better.

Update for anyone who ordered from SNKRS on Saturday.

Got shipping notification on 5/7. UPS tracking updated just now. Will deliver on 5/13. Hey, I'll take it over their original expected delivery date of 5/21.

Enjoy every minute of it. By far the best thing I’ve ever experienced. Oh and by the age of 2 my son had the grapes on with a matching purple and teal jacket. :wink:
Truth! Days are long, the years are short. It goes by in the blink of an eye. My youngest daughter turns 1 in the 21st and my oldest daughter will be 5 in July. Truly blessed!

Congrats again to all who copped, even though the shipping situation may be frustrating, we are so fortunate to have that kind of “problem” in the grand scheme of things.

Mine are supposed to come in today from Concepts. My kid's came in Monday and they look great. This is a super quality retro. Like everyone else said, if the tongue had the matte silver finish it would be spot on perfect. Nike killed these. Hype for later today.

Alright ...
IMG_1461.jpg

Accurate.

This one of the rare retros that nostalgia isn’t the only thing it’s worth. It’s a legit good, well put together shoe, at least my pair is. Best fitting and most comfortable 5 I’ve had in a while. I may shoot for 3rd pair.

Selling mine today. Needed to see them in person. They're nice but I can't get with the tongue. You can't call something OG with such a dramatic change. Just my opinion...

12 and 4.5, same size combo as me and my wife

:nthat:

My wife doesn't care too much about them, although she likes the BC4's but most of the others she's not a big fan of. I buy her the OG classics but most of them are DS :lol:. My daughter is 2 so I'll let her have a nice collection when she's a bit older. Hopefully they won't crumble by then :lol:

Back
Top Bottom