Air jordan VIII Playoffs -Sep 30th - Updated:First official look!!

Crazy how the White leather cut edges on the OG's 4,5,6,7,8,9 & 11 just make the shoes so much better, wish Nike would get back to that on Retros! smh

This is kinda wild, because back in the day once your black shoes got past a certain point of wear, we were definitely taking a sharpie to those edges to make them look "newer." :lol:

The upper side panels almost look like some sort of leather to me. Like a different material from the toe and side straps.
Looking at this close up of one of the side panels has me worried that Nike is indeed using leather on these. I really hope it's because these early pairs are fakes and that the retail pairs won't feature this, but I'm sure this is just wishful thinking.
Screenshot_20230427_070258_Instagram.jpg

Looking at this close up of one of the side panels has me worried that Nike is indeed using leather on these. I really hope it's because these early pairs are fakes and that the retail pairs won't feature this, but I'm sure this is just wishful thinking.
Screenshot_20230427_070258_Instagram.jpg
Hey bud, im confused what you are sayin? the OGs were Leather, actually 2 different Leathers on these uppers, the underlay had a "cracked" like appearance AWESOME, and the overlay "Straps etc.. had a full smooth grain durabuck leather, so what do you mean my friend? lol

Hey bud, im confused what you are sayin? the OGs were Leather, actually 2 different Leathers on these uppers, the underlay had a "cracked" like appearance AWESOME, and the overlay "Straps etc.. had a full smooth grain durabuck leather, so what do you mean my friend? lol
Really? I honestly thought they were full durabuck for the upper, same with the panels that feature that cracked texture. If the '93s actually had leather on them then I guess these '23s are fine after all.

Going by some of the pics it seems like it’s just the normal nubuck with the texture added on there…Maybe whatever process they used for that is what’s making it look like it’s a brighter color or something…We’ll find out once in had reviews start coming out closer to release date…

As for the shape, aside from the slimmed down toe, they look to be on par with the 2015 Aqua’s…So if y’all were down with those, then these should definitely do it for you…

IMG_2470.jpeg
IMG_2472.jpeg

Last edited:
The toebox and panels were indeed a textured durabuck on the og, while the straps and external overlays were just plain durabuck. However, they didn’t have quite the contrast we are seeing on these early 2023 pics. You had to practically have the shoe in hand or be very close to spot the texture, otherwise it just looked like an all black shoe (the grey rands ofc not withstanding).

I think that is what has some peeps and myself concerned. It looks like they are trying to replicate the og look but may have overdid it.

From my understanding

Suede is a form of leather (animal product).
There is synthetic and non-synthetic nubuck, so it can be a type of leather also. But what Nike uses is mostly synthetic
Durabuck was a synthetic from the jump. Durabuck is a trademark. Kinda like Gore-Tex is for a type of waterproof fabric

I don't care about getting exactly what was on the OG, but Nike has used a similar material that has the grey/white lines, and they should use that material so retros more closely resemble the OGs

Last edited:
The toebox and panels were indeed a textured durabuck on the og, while the straps and external overlays were just plain durabuck. However, they didn’t have quite the contrast we are seeing on these early 2023 pics. You had to practically have the shoe in hand or be very close to spot the texture, otherwise it just looked like an all black shoe (the grey rands ofc not withstanding).

I think that is what has some peeps and myself concerned. It looks like they are trying to replicate the og look but may have overdid it.

Durabuck = leather
Nubuck = Suede

It's been discussed numerous times in numerous threads over the years on NT.

IIRC, durabuck is no longer used how it was on OGs. There is a synthetic "durabuck" used now to mimic the OG, but true durabuck is long gone.

Kinda got into it with someone in another thread about this description of Durabuck vs Nubuck, but that's absolutely what it was. Durabuck was smooth like leather, Nubuck was hairier like suede (in different lengths). They are both a synthetic.

OldManJays OldManJays You are right. The OG Playoffs were all Durabuck with the toe and panels having the weird glue drizzle texture. Here are a few pics of my OG pair...

IMG_20190118_234720.jpg
IMG_20190118_235215.jpg
IMG_20190118_235358.jpg

Durabuck = leather
Nubuck = Suede

It's been discussed numerous times in numerous threads over the years on NT.

IIRC, durabuck is no longer used how it was on OGs. There is a synthetic "durabuck" used now to mimic the OG, but true durabuck is long gone.
Durabuck was never leather. It was always synthetic, they made it look like leather or suede depending on the model.

Like for real, cause I’m confusion and intrigued at the same time lol

I was in 3rd grade when these came out so my pair was GS. I think my last Sky Jordan was a 7. Anyhow, I don’t remember em being leather, nor was I into detail at all either. But, from what I’ve come across commonly over the years is what RustyShackleford RustyShackleford is saying. And that’s pretty much the reason Durabuck can’t be recreated.

Last edited:
It's always a cyclical argument and goes like this lol. I just tried to remember from the last discussion on it that I paid attention to. Duraback was something I know we are never getting back because it's no longer made, which is the real tragedy.

Back
Top Bottom