Air Penny 2 RD & Pics: 9/27/08 White/Royal/Black, 11/08, & 01/09

Mine looks painted unless I’m trippin
I'm looking at pics of OG pairs on eBay and the CB is looking very similar to me. I could be wrong though

My only issues with this release is the tongue seems lower than usual and not getting the bigger OG bubble. Neither are deal breakers for me though.

I'm looking at pics of OG pairs on eBay and the CB is looking very similar to me. I could be wrong though

IMG_9477.png
IMG_9480.png
IMG_9478.png

Vs this

IMG_9479.jpeg

If that’s similar to you, I digress

I don’t expect much from Nike basketball retros either, but lazy is lazy

Attachments

• IMG_9477.png
    IMG_9477.png
    659.8 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_9478.png
    IMG_9478.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_9480.png
    IMG_9480.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 23
IMG_9477.png
IMG_9480.png
IMG_9478.png

Vs this

IMG_9479.jpeg

If that’s similar to you, I digress

I don’t expect much from Nike basketball retros either, but lazy is lazy
ADVERTISEMENT​
This is one of those "only us" things where outsiders would think we were crazy for discussing such details 😂. Full disclosure, I went through multiple pairs of fire red and white cement 3s looking for the best EP I could find. So I get it. (My 2023 pair below, which looks a bit different unless it's lighting 🤷🏿‍♂️). Not stellar by far but not worth sending back, to me at least. But overall, yes I agree that for the price we should get better retros but that's pretty much all retros.

Screenshot_20231125_105155_Gallery.jpg

$150 and no ragrets. Will wear them soon and with a double insole (I bet they aren’t very comfortable). I’m not balling in these so the CF is whatever.

$150 and no ragrets. Will wear them soon and with a double insole (I bet they aren’t very comfortable). I’m not balling in these so the CF is whatever.

I have about 3 pairs of new 2 releases and they’re all comfortable

I doubt you need all that but everyone has their own standards

I have about 3 pairs of new 2 releases and they’re all comfortable

I doubt you need all that but everyone has their own standards
Once you wear something super comfortable, all Nike retros feel like they need more padding all around. I like zoom, so I add a full length zoom insole and it helps make them nice to walk in. I go a half size up to make room for the insole, as well.

Mine came in earlier this morning. My first impression (in comparison to the 09 retro)

- The leather is pretty much the same, slightly more stiff, but it doesn't jump out at me
- They swapped the 1 Cent logo/Nike branding on the ankle padding/heel (a detail the NT community once complained
about and they fixed to match the OG)
- Outsole is solid and not translucent like the 09 (not a big deal IMO)
- The laces definitely feel cheaper than on the 09. My laces were frayed in some spots. I will likely swap them out for a
different set of laces
- The tongue height is definitely lower than the 09
- Carbon fiber plate is actually the same as the 09

A few thoughts....

I'm sick and tired of Nike/Jordan Brand not getting the tongue height right on shoes. In 1 or 2 cases, ok, I can let it slide, but this seems to be across the board. When I was looking at these, I immediately was able to think of 2-3 other shoes off top that have the same issue...

As far as some comments about the carbon fiber plate being painted on...On this pair, it feels exactly like the 08/09 pairs, for this model, it just has a very thin CF plate. I'm in the (very slow) process of repairing my Orlando's from 08, and the CF plate started to come up at the top on the outer edges. It feels cheap, but it's very much sturdy, it is just thinner than what we see on the Penny foam or even the XII's, but believe me it's not painted on at all.

3M is nice as usual, just would have liked to have it on the Penny 1 (thanks a lot Nike), and please Nike, don't pull some bs and retro the Penny 1 next year with 3M on it like you invented something new, y'all can EAD for doing stuff like that.

Overall, I'm satisfied with this retro. It's nice to have an updated pair for this model, which is what I wanted. I'm starting to feel the sun set on buying for me at this point.

Mine came in earlier this morning. My first impression (in comparison to the 09 retro)

- The leather is pretty much the same, slightly more stiff, but it doesn't jump out at me
- They swapped the 1 Cent logo/Nike branding on the ankle padding/heel (a detail the NT community once complained
- The laces definitely feel cheaper than on the 09. My laces were frayed in some spots. I will likely swap them out for a
different set of laces

A few thoughts....

I'm sick and tired of Nike/Jordan Brand not getting the tongue height right on shoes. In 1 or 2 cases, ok, I can let it slide, but this seems to be across the board. When I was looking at these, I immediately was able to think of 2-3 other shoes off top that have the same issue...

As far as some comments about the carbon fiber plate being painted on...On this pair, it feels exactly like the 08/09 pairs, for this model, it just has a very thin CF plate. I'm in the (very slow) process of repairing my Orlando's from 08, and the CF plate started to come up at the top on the outer edges. It feels cheap, but it's very much sturdy, it is just thinner than what we see on the Penny foam or even the XII's, but believe me it's not painted on at all.

3M is nice as usual, just would have liked to have it on the Penny 1 (thanks a lot Nike), and please Nike, don't pull some bs and retro the Penny 1 next year with 3M on it like you invented something new, y'all can EAD for doing stuff like that.

Overall, I'm satisfied with this retro. It's nice to have an updated pair for this model, which is what I wanted. I'm starting to feel the sun set on buying for me at this point.

Definitely how I'm feeling going in to 2024. It's been a great run, but things are beginning to feel redundant and becoming hard to justify these prices as well.

won’t lie I’m not a stickler like most nt’ers on shoes but this new pair of atlantics looks a bit dingy

all my recent pairs of 2s have been collabs so the difference is pretty significant

this is my 4th pair of 2s recently so it’s not a fluke but it’s not enough to take em back

edit- I was able to get it off but for whatever reason there was alotta dust on the blue uppers of the shoe, still is a major drop off in the feel of em compared to the collabs tho

Last edited:

different set of laces

A few thoughts....

How was sizing for you?

How was sizing for you?
Perfect. I pretty much buy the same size for everything and it works for me. My 09s, I have an 11 ( I actually bought them off a co worker at the time), and those fit me fine. It feels good to finally have my true size in this cw.

Edit: I'm a true 11.5

Last edited:
off topic but does anyone know why a part of a white midsole would turn green? not yellow not pink but green??

off topic but does anyone know why a part of a white midsole would turn green? not yellow not pink but green??
Seriously though, I've never heard of the midsole turning green. That's a new one to me. I did however find something interesting. I'll post the pics in a bit.

I bought a blacklight flashlight recently and just happened to try it on these and this what I found...a terrible glue job. I posted the AJ 8 for comparison. Now, I'm not the super nitpicky detail guy and this won't change my mind about these, I still like them, I just happened to find this out and thought it was interesting.
20231128_160247.jpg
SmartSelect_20231128_160913_Gallery.jpg
SmartSelect_20231128_160845_Gallery.jpg

Back
Top Bottom