AIR TRAINER III's set to release for 2009: 7 colorways (updated 4/06/09)

The blues are ok, but not enough to make me purchase... is that a patent leather strap?

yep. the lower heel portion on all of them feature a shiney material as well. i personally don't get it, but im just posting photos for those that may beinterested.

i also think the tongue on one pair is patent and the other leather.. straying quite a ways from its nylon OG counterpart.

i was never into trainers. which one is the "medicine ball"?
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by jbv1

With regards to the plastic forefoot strap deletions I think there may be a twofold reason(s) - 1) cost cutting on Nike's part
eyes.gif
& 2) maybe there is some more give in a fabric strap vs. plastic on that area of the shoe (I would think the former more than the latter)

Along these lines as well if you may notice most gangsta OGs that rock these kicks do not even "strap in", so to speak but rather leave the strap unstrapped across the front of the shoe. Don't get me wrong I miss the plastic myself but there will be less yellowing depending on the colourway of the plastic & more give in the forefoot area (so I may not have to half or full size up)

Seriously though (besides yourself), when was the last time you saw anyone actually training in an older generation Nike cross trainer like the AT1, 2 or even SCs? Hardly likely...

I think the AT III line has mostly transcended from a all-purpose built shoe to the lifestyle/casual category where Nike wants to put most of their kicks (e.g., AF1s, AM BWs, AM95s, etc.)

Either way Nike has done a great job in bringing these back - their money tree is watered like a mofo. Knowing how the Air Trainer SC OG (blue/orange/white) is going to be received I hope Nike makes enough MB stock to fufill our needs/desires
tongue.gif
but somehow I get the feeling they are going to be "limited"
frown.gif
eyes.gif
Most of those CWs are so ugly that I can barely think of one person earning money by "choosing" those combinations (of CWs andmaterials!)
Every new CW for Air Trainers SC I (sorry, Air Trainer III) makes even the retro CWs look great.
Who can think of spending 110$ in those trash CWs or materials instead of looking for a pair of Retros or OGs:

f3aued.jpg

dw5c2g.jpg

24d0epi.jpg

2l9hbnq.jpg

vdo7sz.jpg

2hpta8y.jpg

"1) cost cutting on Nike's part
eyes.gif
"
Do not spend one minute of your life trying to find a reason to explain idiocy.

"Along these lines as well if you may notice most gangsta OGs that rock these kicks do not even "strap in", so to speak but rather leave thestrap unstrapped across the front of the shoe. "
There's a lot of NON-gangsta users for those sneakers. Those shoes were made with a strap to "strap-in", believe me....

"Seriously though (besides yourself), when was the last time you saw anyone actually training in an older generation Nike cross trainer like the AT1, 2 oreven SCs? Hardly likely... "
When was the last time you saw anyone actually playing basketball in a Jordan I?
Do you think that it would be the same if Nike had released OG colors and "good CWs" every year since 1990??? Why 100s of CWs and releases for AF1s,Blazers, Dunks, Jordans, but so few for Trainers? It's Nike who decides wich line is interesting and wich one is not.

"I think the AT III line has mostly transcended from a all-purpose built shoe to the lifestyle/casual category where Nike wants to put most of their kicks(e.g., AF1s, AM BWs, AM95s, etc.)"
This is absolutely NOT a reason to throw one magnificent sneaker like the Air Trainer SC I (sorry, Air Trainer III) to trash.

"Either way Nike has done a great job in bringing these back "
Believe me. Nike has SHOWN A BIG MISRESPECT TO NIKE ITSELF (and Hatfield in particular) by bringing these back THAT WAY...

Wow - simply, wow to the above poster (suguruvstotoro) - Yes, we know how Nike does biz - C.R.E.A.M.

I'm simply stating that Nike is throwing crumbs our way in terms of trying to resurrect the vestiges of what used to be a big sales driver in their market,namely cross-trainers. I for one along with a host of other NTers (especially our chief historian & archivist WallyHopp) would love to see retros trulybeing that, spot-on retroes that are 100% true to the original but we know it is not going to happen.

I've let some horrid AT III colorways pass me by since I'm not the blind eager shill that will drop dollars simply because it is in the ATIII family.What I am saying is that this time around Nike has little to screw up (outside of the actual cw of the shoe & the strap issue as Wally has pointed out) NoSMALLER air bubble as far as I can tell to b**itch about (thank goodness) & taking into account the relative "low-tech" of this particular shoethere is not much to screw up on, IMHO.

I'm going off on a tangent here but I think if we look back for a moment we are blessed (for lack of a better term) to be here in this time that a companyis actually doing what most firms only dream of - making $$$ off of people's memories (NIKE has combined a time machine + money printing operation)

A lot of companies before & after do retros but really are they as sought after or to the scale that Nike is doing? Probably not. I was in HS when thefirst of the Air Trainers dropped & trust me, that period was the GOLDEN AGE for Nike in terms of EVERYTHING (it was their perfect storm of endorsementathletes - MJ, Bo, McEnroe, Gabrielle Reece, Jim Courier, Penny, Charles, David Robinson, etc. you name a big-game athlete you can trust Nike went after them -brilliant ad campaigns being churned out by the dozens, print ads, distinctive shoe boxes, Nike led the way.

But guess what? The party's over; it has all stopped - Nike has pulled up & out of the "bang for your buck" experience. Outside of somereally good inspirational TV commercials you're lucky to get arch support inserts with your shoes nowadays, gone are the comment cards & keychain thatcame with higher-end Nikes & Jordans. That time is over & we are just going to have to deal with it - Nike has gotten to be too big to care about thelittle guy.

So in an effort to keep consumer interest in thrall & hold onto some of the more wistful moneyed older generation they are whoring out colourways left& right, rehashing old tired elephant prints, ostrich skin, out the ying-yang, slapping the Jordan Jumpman & Swoosh on anything that moves & yetpeople are still gobbling them up. It is their right, their loss, to continue to do so. They are bastardizing & resurrecting most every line they can thinkof to keep our interest up even if it is in an artificial manner. Even if the shoe tanks they know they still have a second shot through Nike Outlets, thirdparty sales, etc.

Simply put - What is happening/happened in Beaverton?!

-end rant-

This bubble of shoe collecting is going to burst soon enough & hopefully people will come to their senses. Does anyone here know if the have even posted aloss in the past decade? I'd like to speak & protest with what dollars I have but when I turn away from buying a crappy retroed shoe that has beenhorrifically butchered I know some other eager hypebeast fanboy buyer will replace me. In conjunction with the economy tanking there just might be somecontraction in Nike's shoe sales so they will get the hint & stop churning out mess.

To close I would just like to say suguruvstotoro - 1 ) nice grip of kicks man - 2) if you ever tire of your OG Medicine Balls & are a sz 12 let me know
smile.gif
Seeing your pics makes me want to take group pics of my pairs
tongue.gif

Originally Posted by suguruvstotoro

Originally Posted by jbv1

With regards to the plastic forefoot strap deletions I think there may be a twofold reason(s) - 1) cost cutting on Nike's part
eyes.gif
& 2) maybe there is some more give in a fabric strap vs. plastic on that area of the shoe (I would think the former more than the latter)

Along these lines as well if you may notice most gangsta OGs that rock these kicks do not even "strap in", so to speak but rather leave the strap unstrapped across the front of the shoe. Don't get me wrong I miss the plastic myself but there will be less yellowing depending on the colourway of the plastic & more give in the forefoot area (so I may not have to half or full size up)

Seriously though (besides yourself), when was the last time you saw anyone actually training in an older generation Nike cross trainer like the AT1, 2 or even SCs? Hardly likely...

I think the AT III line has mostly transcended from a all-purpose built shoe to the lifestyle/casual category where Nike wants to put most of their kicks (e.g., AF1s, AM BWs, AM95s, etc.)

Either way Nike has done a great job in bringing these back - their money tree is watered like a mofo. Knowing how the Air Trainer SC OG (blue/orange/white) is going to be received I hope Nike makes enough MB stock to fufill our needs/desires
tongue.gif
but somehow I get the feeling they are going to be "limited"
frown.gif
eyes.gif
Most of those CWs are so ugly that I can barely think of one person earning money by "choosing" those combinations (of CWs and materials!)
Every new CW for Air Trainers SC I (sorry, Air Trainer III) makes even the retro CWs look great.
Who can think of spending 110$ in those trash CWs or materials instead of looking for a pair of Retros or OGs:

"1) cost cutting on Nike's part
eyes.gif
"
Do not spend one minute of your life trying to find a reason to explain idiocy.

"Along these lines as well if you may notice most gangsta OGs that rock these kicks do not even "strap in", so to speak but rather leave the strap unstrapped across the front of the shoe. "
There's a lot of NON-gangsta users for those sneakers. Those shoes were made with a strap to "strap-in", believe me....

"Seriously though (besides yourself), when was the last time you saw anyone actually training in an older generation Nike cross trainer like the AT1, 2 or even SCs? Hardly likely... "
When was the last time you saw anyone actually playing basketball in a Jordan I?
Do you think that it would be the same if Nike had released OG colors and "good CWs" every year since 1990??? Why 100s of CWs and releases for AF1s, Blazers, Dunks, Jordans, but so few for Trainers? It's Nike who decides wich line is interesting and wich one is not.

"I think the AT III line has mostly transcended from a all-purpose built shoe to the lifestyle/casual category where Nike wants to put most of their kicks (e.g., AF1s, AM BWs, AM95s, etc.)"
This is absolutely NOT a reason to throw one magnificent sneaker like the Air Trainer SC I (sorry, Air Trainer III) to trash.

"Either way Nike has done a great job in bringing these back "
Believe me. Nike has SHOWN A BIG MISRESPECT TO NIKE ITSELF (and Hatfield in particular) by bringing these back THAT WAY...
^ wow
but i have to agree with a lot of what you are saying, although i also understand the point of jbv1

me, personally, i dont buy any nike retro, or i have to get them for free
i only focus with the real deal, because otherwise i would be disappointed every time i buy a "retro"

the good ald days of nike are what they are: the good old days....

by the way:
Nike, remmeber these? Why don't you try this?
wink.gif

Medicine ball - the best one in my book. And I don't have it...that would be a nice cop. Happy to see it posted, now, the waiting and
begging for the Nike Air Cross Trainer I (low) or Nike Air Cross Trainer II (low) to EVER be retroed.

And NO - they have not been ever, please though...

Originally Posted by green rhino123

Medicine ball - the best one in my book. And I don't have it...that would be a nice cop. Happy to see it posted, now, the waiting and
begging for the Nike Air Cross Trainer I (low) or Nike Air Cross Trainer II (low) to EVER be retroed.

And NO - they have not been ever, please though...
indeed, it is strange why nikce never has retroed the AT II
i think they will be very popular....

one thing i noticed about these air trainer afficionados is that theyre too picky about these at's, they scrutinize every minute detail of the shoe...sohardcore about these shoes.....i had the chance to wear some of those those og's but i would still buy some of these retros releasing

picky? I just want OG colorways and not IN limited edition release fashion, ala every trainer 1 chlorophyll release after 2000 has been some sort of asiaco.jp type of release (2002 and again in 2008). Med. ball retros from my understanding were euro limited editions numbered to 3,000 both in 2000 and 2003 yetthey freely release what we're seeing today. If thats being picky, than consider myself to picky then. you may ask yourself why do i want OG c/w's sobadly? because that's what tinker orignially wanted and thats what worked on the shoe...

Ive come to the realization that nike treats trainers much like JORDANS. with one huge exception in the fact that jordan brand has 23 other og models tocontend with and subsequently gets an OG colorway out once every 6-9 years, ie the carmines or grape 5s. They get treated as equals yet in reality the trainershave about 6 models to run through and have barely been given that due. early 2006 saw the trainer max in og cw fashion, 2002 saw the trainer max 91... sincethat time though, they're been approximately 100 retro colorway releases with only 1-2 OG c/w's standing out. you tell me whats wrong with that?

Originally Posted by JDAM1

one thing i noticed about these air trainer afficionados is that theyre too picky about these at's, they scrutinize every minute detail of the shoe...so hardcore about these shoes.....i had the chance to wear some of those those og's but i would still buy some of these retros releasing
Picky? Hardcore? You don;t know the half
roll.gif

Damn straight... & don't get "us" wrong or paint us with one broad brush - I'm not against buying some of the retros either (it's theclosest I'll get to this guy in my 8th grade class when homeboy had every fricking Bo Jackson cross trainer that released back in the OG days) but as hasbeen said ad nauseam on this board by other NTers like msyelf if Nike is going to bring it back, DO IT STRAIGHT & TRUE to the OG - maybe not everyE-X-A-C-T detail but they sure have been scrimping & saving as of late in terms of materials. Myself, the most hated feature of newer Air Maxes &retroes in general? PAINTED MIDSOLES
eyes.gif
frown.gif
mad.gif
sick.gif

Nike has the money & resources to drop serious authentic retroes [if they wanted] but it seems they themselves reverse engineer OG shoes & releaseshoes with a "Ah, it's close enough that the sheep will buy it" mentality & for some of us here that is a "slap in the face/knee in thegroin/I peed in your cereal" sort of thing.

It's not like you buy New Balance or Asics, or any other competitive brand to Nike & you get chipping/cracked painted midsole
grin.gif

Anyhow, back to the anticipation on the MBs & other ATIIIs - they're only shoes
tongue.gif

I updated the first post with new PHOTOS of all the spring09 shoes. They look 100 times better than the catalog scans that represented the shoes initially. Howcan nike make shoes look so ugly.

Ebay retailers are slowly but surely getting their supply in. Atleast three sellers know offering these up

saw the blue/grey ones today, the patent leather strap kills it for me (in a bad way).

Originally Posted by JDAM1

one thing i noticed about these air trainer afficionados is that theyre too picky about these at's, they scrutinize every minute detail of the shoe...so hardcore about these shoes.....i had the chance to wear some of those those og's but i would still buy some of these retros releasing

Picky? All I'm asking for is OG colorways. No patent, no 3M, no elephant print, no "popular urbanwear" branding/logos... I just want them tokeep it simple. Nike can do all the new colorways they want, as long as retro decent quality OG colorways as well. Is that too much to ask for? I certainlyhope not. They did it for AJ's, why not for trainers as well? I'm sure a lot of sneakerheads would be very upset if they released various colorwaysof AJ without releasing OG colorways.

Back
Top Bottom