Alex Smith nearly fined $15,000 by NFL for wearing SF Giants cap Vol. No Fun League

Alex Smith nearly fined $15,000 by NFL for wearing SF Giants cap
Posted on September 19, 2012 at 1:56 pm by Eric Branch in 49ers

CommentsComments(1)Comments(186) | E-mail| Print.

Like many fans of the first-place San Francisco Giants, 49ers quarterback Alex Smith is proudly sporting the orange and black these days.

But Smith has learned his lesson. The NFL has made sure of that.

Smith said today the league issued him a since-retracted $15,000 fine for wearing his Giants cap to his press conference Sunday night after the win over the Lions. NFL fine czar and former 49ers cornerback Merton Hanks eventually gave Smith and Patriots wide receiver Wes Welker warnings.

The crime? Smith said he was fined for wearing non-NFL-sponsored gear of a competing league, a no-no for players in the 90 minutes after a game.

“So it’s weird,” Smith said. “I could wear a Polo shirt after the game and they’re not going to fine me.”

So Smith won’t have to pay up, but if he slips up in the future he joked about getting in touch with the Giants president and CEO.

“Yeah,” he said, “can someone get a hold of Larry Baer for me?”

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2012/0...fined-15000-by-nfl-for-wearing-sf-giants-cap/

i kinda see what they mean by a "competing league" but its not that serious. hell.. he did this all year last season

he should wear a niner hat in giants colors :lol: :pimp:

:smh: this is why i HATE roger goodell..its so dumb the NO FUN LEAGUE is being too hitler like..soon its gunna be like @$hole david stern with the whole dresscode thing:smh:

Professional Sports has become OD with all the rules/regulations/restrictions......dude is supporting another San Franciso team! At least he wasn't rocking a Yankees hat or something. Damn.

:smh: this is why i HATE roger goodell..its so dumb the NO FUN LEAGUE is being too hitler like..soon its gunna be like @$hole david stern with the whole dresscode thing:smh:

This has been going on since before Goodell.

And the dress code was approved by the players association, rather than a mandate from Stern. Many teams had dress codes for years and nobody complained about it.

I think it was Culliver who got fined $5,000 for wearing red sleeves in that Niners/Lions game this past Sunday night. Like, seriously?..

This is a business y'all...understand that.

He absolutely had the right to be warned and fined if he continues.

If those are the rules, those are the rules. I would never wear j's again if it was part of the terms of my multi-million dollar paying job. When you gettin
silly money you should abide by the silly rules. you got the rest the day and week to wear what ever. NOT THAT SERIOUS. Cant feel sorry for millionaires.

I was thinking about the East Bay teams (A's and Raiders) doing this too, but I realized what makes the Niners and Giants using each other's hats cool is that those teams have "SF" as a part of their uniform. Neither the Raiders or A's have "Oakland" on their hat gear :smh:

Back
Top Bottom