All-encompassing Cleveland Indians thread. 46 days until Opening Day.

Second-rounder, Dillon Howard, has signed. High school right-hander. Consensus first-round talent, but slipped because of signability concerns (Boras client). Probably at least as good of an eventual prospect as Alex White.

He signed for more than $1.3 million over the suggested slot cost. Remember that the next time you hear nonsense about the Dolans being cheap.

Waiting on three other big names. Francisco Lindor (first round, prep shortstop), Stephen Tarpley (eighth round, prep left-hander) and Dillon Peters (20th round, prep left-hander).

Peters might not seem all that important as a 20th-rounder, but he was the 104th best available player in the draft, according to Baseball America. Guys like that slip because they are so hard to sign. They have all the leverage in the world, and will cost a ton.

His career high school numbers: 36-3, 0.67 earned run average and 447 strikeouts in 258 innings.

Second-rounder, Dillon Howard, has signed. High school right-hander. Consensus first-round talent, but slipped because of signability concerns (Boras client). Probably at least as good of an eventual prospect as Alex White.

He signed for more than $1.3 million over the suggested slot cost. Remember that the next time you hear nonsense about the Dolans being cheap.

Waiting on three other big names. Francisco Lindor (first round, prep shortstop), Stephen Tarpley (eighth round, prep left-hander) and Dillon Peters (20th round, prep left-hander).

Peters might not seem all that important as a 20th-rounder, but he was the 104th best available player in the draft, according to Baseball America. Guys like that slip because they are so hard to sign. They have all the leverage in the world, and will cost a ton.

His career high school numbers: 36-3, 0.67 earned run average and 447 strikeouts in 258 innings.

Lindor is signed.

$2.9 million bonus. Over $2 million above slot.

No Tarpley or Peters.

They signed 29 of 50, and 17 of the top 19.
The 19-year-old Howard, who was selected with the 67th overall pick, went 9-1 with a 0.31 ERA in 12 starts for Searcy High School in Searcy, Ark., this past season. Over 58 innings, the 6-foot-4, 210-pound righty struck out 115 batters, walked 25, scattered 19 hits and surrendered just two earned runs.

Howard was named the Arkansas High School Player of the Year by both Gatorade and MaxPreps. He was also the Most Valuable Player at the Connie Mack World Series while pitching for the Midland ********. MLB.com ranked Howard as the 18th-best prospect going into the June Draft.

Lindor is signed.

$2.9 million bonus. Over $2 million above slot.

No Tarpley or Peters.

They signed 29 of 50, and 17 of the top 19.
The 19-year-old Howard, who was selected with the 67th overall pick, went 9-1 with a 0.31 ERA in 12 starts for Searcy High School in Searcy, Ark., this past season. Over 58 innings, the 6-foot-4, 210-pound righty struck out 115 batters, walked 25, scattered 19 hits and surrendered just two earned runs.

Howard was named the Arkansas High School Player of the Year by both Gatorade and MaxPreps. He was also the Most Valuable Player at the Connie Mack World Series while pitching for the Midland ********. MLB.com ranked Howard as the 18th-best prospect going into the June Draft.

so all in all, a good job getting things done?

Have to say, this is the first time in several weeks I've felt good about our chances heading down the stretch. Choo back, young guys playing..SP looks solid.

figure we need a win tonight to keep it at 2 with Verlander going. I've thought he'll single handily win the division for a while now, it'd sure be nice for him to finally give a game up.

Have to say, this is the first time in several weeks I've felt good about our chances heading down the stretch. Choo back, young guys playing..SP looks solid.

figure we need a win tonight to keep it at 2 with Verlander going. I've thought he'll single handily win the division for a while now, it'd sure be nice for him to finally give a game up.

August 16-24... 10 GAMES
eek.gif

Need to rest up, and stay focused.

This series tonight and Detroit will tell us all we need to know about or team.

On the road.
pimp.gif

RollTribe

August 16-24... 10 GAMES
eek.gif

Need to rest up, and stay focused.

This series tonight and Detroit will tell us all we need to know about or team.

On the road.
pimp.gif

RollTribe

I think so. 29 falls right in line with what they sign every year. I'm sure it's about the same for every other team.

You draft a lot of guys knowing you probably won't sign them, but it gives the team a chance to build a relationship with a kid, in hopes of drafting him again later on, or even trading for him or signing him six years down the road.
Have to say, this is the first time in several weeks I've felt good about our chances heading down the stretch.

More or less agreed.

Brantley is back tonight. Kipnis is not, however. Hope that doesn't linger.

I still think it's very possible that they make another trade. Probably for a first baseman now, since Choo is back, Brantley is alright and Sizemore might be back. Wouldn't mind Carlos Pena at all.

I think so. 29 falls right in line with what they sign every year. I'm sure it's about the same for every other team.

You draft a lot of guys knowing you probably won't sign them, but it gives the team a chance to build a relationship with a kid, in hopes of drafting him again later on, or even trading for him or signing him six years down the road.
Have to say, this is the first time in several weeks I've felt good about our chances heading down the stretch.

More or less agreed.

Brantley is back tonight. Kipnis is not, however. Hope that doesn't linger.

I still think it's very possible that they make another trade. Probably for a first baseman now, since Choo is back, Brantley is alright and Sizemore might be back. Wouldn't mind Carlos Pena at all.

laugh.gif

embarassed.gif

Yo I believe Francisco Lindor will be a star in this league one day. His glove is crazy nice. He's a switch-hitter & runs bases quick as %***. Can't wait to see him in 2-3 years.

Howard is a beast too. I like our picks.

laugh.gif

embarassed.gif

Yo I believe Francisco Lindor will be a star in this league one day. His glove is crazy nice. He's a switch-hitter & runs bases quick as %***. Can't wait to see him in 2-3 years.

Howard is a beast too. I like our picks.

That infielder Jack Hannahan is something like the 25th man on the Cleveland Indians roster matters little to his teammates. They treat him like a first-string person. Like a brother.

When Hannahan needed an assist earlier this month in order to be with his wife for the premature birth of their son, Justin Masterson and company made it happen.

The details come from a moving post at CBS Sports by C. Trent Rosecrans, who expanded on the work done by Charley Walters of the St. Paul Pioneer Press.

One night when the Indians were playing at Boston, Hannahan's agent, Joe Speed, got a call. Hannahan's wife, Jenny, who had been relegated to bed rest back in Ohio, was having birthing contractions. Despite being early in her third trimester, she appeared to be heading into labor months ahead of schedule.

Another problem for Hannahan: There were no available flights home that night.

Rosecrans writes:
So even while Hannahan was at bat in the game, Speed booked the first flight in the morning out of Logan airport in Boston back to Cleveland, even knowing that would likely be too late. His next step was calling about private planes. They were available, but they cost $35,000. Even though Hannahan has a contract for $500,000 this year, $35,000 is still seven percent of his annual salary — that's a lot of money on a gamble that it would be the night Jenny gave birth.
Hannahan no doubt lives a wonderful life as a major leaguer, but he's a working man's ballplayer. As a third-round pick 10 years before, it's not like Hannahan and family can live off a big signing bonus. So, with only two-plus years of service time vested in the major leagues and no guarantee that he would be making big league money for much longer, Hannahan couldn't bring himself to charter a jet. He'd just take that first morning flight out of Logan.

But then Masterson came over and asked what was happening. He had a thought, and wasn't taking no for an answer.

Walters recounted the conversation:

"Book it," Masterson told Hannahan.

"I can't. It costs too much," Hannahan replied.

"Book it!" Masterson said.

Then Masterson passed a hat around the clubhouse. Teammates immediately contributed $35,000.

Hannahan took the private plane, arrived in Cleveland about 3 a.m. and reconnected with his wife just 15 minutes before John Joseph Hannahan V was born. Though he weighed just 2 pounds, 11 ounces at birth and hasn't come home from the NICU yet, baby reportedly is doing fine. As are mom and dad.

Even if his team doesn't make the playoffs, Manny Acta probably will win AL Manager of the Year because the Indians are performing way beyond what most expected. But I have to think that the environment in Cleveland's clubhouse that encouraged players to use their own money to help Hannahan is some of his doing.

Though they obviously could afford to band together and rent a jet, the Tribe's roster isn't exactly full of millionaires like it might have been in the Albert Belle era. Heck, Masterson makes less money than Hannahan. But it's this kind of camaraderie that helps get a team through a 162-game season. And it makes you want to root for the Indians if you don't already.

If this story is indicative, they seem like a good bunch of guys. And that counts for a lot in these times when cynicism can dominate.

That infielder Jack Hannahan is something like the 25th man on the Cleveland Indians roster matters little to his teammates. They treat him like a first-string person. Like a brother.

When Hannahan needed an assist earlier this month in order to be with his wife for the premature birth of their son, Justin Masterson and company made it happen.

The details come from a moving post at CBS Sports by C. Trent Rosecrans, who expanded on the work done by Charley Walters of the St. Paul Pioneer Press.

One night when the Indians were playing at Boston, Hannahan's agent, Joe Speed, got a call. Hannahan's wife, Jenny, who had been relegated to bed rest back in Ohio, was having birthing contractions. Despite being early in her third trimester, she appeared to be heading into labor months ahead of schedule.

Another problem for Hannahan: There were no available flights home that night.

Rosecrans writes:
So even while Hannahan was at bat in the game, Speed booked the first flight in the morning out of Logan airport in Boston back to Cleveland, even knowing that would likely be too late. His next step was calling about private planes. They were available, but they cost $35,000. Even though Hannahan has a contract for $500,000 this year, $35,000 is still seven percent of his annual salary — that's a lot of money on a gamble that it would be the night Jenny gave birth.
Hannahan no doubt lives a wonderful life as a major leaguer, but he's a working man's ballplayer. As a third-round pick 10 years before, it's not like Hannahan and family can live off a big signing bonus. So, with only two-plus years of service time vested in the major leagues and no guarantee that he would be making big league money for much longer, Hannahan couldn't bring himself to charter a jet. He'd just take that first morning flight out of Logan.

But then Masterson came over and asked what was happening. He had a thought, and wasn't taking no for an answer.

Walters recounted the conversation:

"Book it," Masterson told Hannahan.

"I can't. It costs too much," Hannahan replied.

"Book it!" Masterson said.

Then Masterson passed a hat around the clubhouse. Teammates immediately contributed $35,000.

Hannahan took the private plane, arrived in Cleveland about 3 a.m. and reconnected with his wife just 15 minutes before John Joseph Hannahan V was born. Though he weighed just 2 pounds, 11 ounces at birth and hasn't come home from the NICU yet, baby reportedly is doing fine. As are mom and dad.

Even if his team doesn't make the playoffs, Manny Acta probably will win AL Manager of the Year because the Indians are performing way beyond what most expected. But I have to think that the environment in Cleveland's clubhouse that encouraged players to use their own money to help Hannahan is some of his doing.

Though they obviously could afford to band together and rent a jet, the Tribe's roster isn't exactly full of millionaires like it might have been in the Albert Belle era. Heck, Masterson makes less money than Hannahan. But it's this kind of camaraderie that helps get a team through a 162-game season. And it makes you want to root for the Indians if you don't already.

If this story is indicative, they seem like a good bunch of guys. And that counts for a lot in these times when cynicism can dominate.

Back
Top Bottom