All-encompassing Cleveland Indians thread. 46 days until Opening Day.

By the time school is out I'm hoping to go see my first game this season against the Pirates.

I need to get to the park.

Nice clothesline tag. 
laugh.gif

TonyIPI #Indians 3B prospect Lonnie Chisenhall since April 26h: 31G, .306/.396/.488, 8 2B, 1 3B, 4 HR, 17 RBI, and .883 OPS.
TonyIPI By the wayPhelps is hitting .316/.409/.531 with 13 2B, 2 3B, 7 HR, 38 RBI and.940 in 46 games for Columbus. Crime he is not with #Indians.
TonyIPI Not to make him feel slighted, but Jason Kipnis since April 26th: 31 G, .314/.370/.562, 7 2B, 4 3B, 5 HR, 24 RBI, .932 OPS.
Hagadone moved up to Columbus about a week ago. 4 appearances, 6.1 innings, 1-0, 1.42 ERA, 1 save, 3 hits, 1 run, 8 strikeouts, 1 walk, .130 BAA, 0.63 WHIP

Pomeranz: 8 starts, 38.2 innings, 2.09 ERA, 27 hits, 9 runs, 54 strikeouts, 15 walks, .193 BAA, 1.09 WHIP

TonyIPI #Indians 3B prospect Lonnie Chisenhall since April 26h: 31G, .306/.396/.488, 8 2B, 1 3B, 4 HR, 17 RBI, and .883 OPS.
TonyIPI By the wayPhelps is hitting .316/.409/.531 with 13 2B, 2 3B, 7 HR, 38 RBI and.940 in 46 games for Columbus. Crime he is not with #Indians.
TonyIPI Not to make him feel slighted, but Jason Kipnis since April 26th: 31 G, .314/.370/.562, 7 2B, 4 3B, 5 HR, 24 RBI, .932 OPS.
Hagadone moved up to Columbus about a week ago. 4 appearances, 6.1 innings, 1-0, 1.42 ERA, 1 save, 3 hits, 1 run, 8 strikeouts, 1 walk, .130 BAA, 0.63 WHIP

Pomeranz: 8 starts, 38.2 innings, 2.09 ERA, 27 hits, 9 runs, 54 strikeouts, 15 walks, .193 BAA, 1.09 WHIP

KLJ.....whats up with your boy Los? He is KILLIN me in my expensive fantasy league. Was expecting him to be a .285/25/90 guy this year. Had to reach for him early because hes a catcher.

When is the slump gonna end bro? Killin me.

KLJ.....whats up with your boy Los? He is KILLIN me in my expensive fantasy league. Was expecting him to be a .285/25/90 guy this year. Had to reach for him early because hes a catcher.

When is the slump gonna end bro? Killin me.

Potential trade targets (from Fangraphs):
PLAYER: Carlos Beltran
TEAM: Mets
POSSIBLE DESTINATION: Indians
CONTRACT STATUS: $18.5M, Walk year
PROJECTED WAR: 1.4

One of the most attractive corner outfield options is also one ofthe most difficult to peg. For the Trade Target series, we're usingrest-of-season ZiPS to project players' offensive value, thenthree-year UZR to peg the defense. Of course the problem (well, one ofthem) in this case is that Beltran played just 145 games in the pasttwo seasons combined. His .274/.363/.514, .379 wOBA start to thisseason is roughly in line with his .380 wOBA 2008 campaign. But Beltranderived his massive 7.6 WAR that season from uncommon durability (161games) as well as defensive value that no longer applies (12.4 UZR anda Gold Glove playing center field then, vs. average to below-averagedefense playing a corner OF slot now).

Still, this rest-of-season WAR projection assumes Beltran missesabout a quarter of his remaining games, and that he doesn't leave CitiField. A move to, say, Cleveland would plop Beltran into a more favorable park for hitters. If Travis Hafner returns to the Indians lineup at 100%, and Grady Sizemorebecomes healthy enough to be a productive everyday center fielderagain, you won't see this kind of deal happen. But based on their trackrecord of the past few years, you can’t bet on both happening.

The key here — other than the health of Hafner and Sizemore — willbe money. Even with a fresh cash influx from new minority owner DavidEinhorn, the Mets probably wouldn't mind ditching the rest of Beltran's$18.5 million salary. If he were to be dealt fairly soon and Beltran'shealth holds up, a gain of 2 or more wins for the team that trades forhim is possible. As with many deadline trades in recent years, theBeltran-receiving team could ask the Mets pick up a significant chunkof Beltran's remaining salary in exchange for giving up a betterprospect (Beltran also has a no-trade clause in his contract which addsanother layer of complexity).

A team like the Indians, without a ton of cash to spend that alsoplaces great value on young talent, would have to find a middle groundbetween financial help and not mortgaging the farm. Still, flags flyforever, and the Tribe has a legitimate chance for some big things thisseason. Beltran could greatly help their cause.
PLAYER: Carlos Pena
TEAM
: Cubs
POSSIBLE DESTINATION(S)
: Indians
CONTRACT STATUS
: One-year, $10 million, FA in 2012
PROJECTED WAR
: 2.0

Pena is by no means having a season reminiscent of his 2007 to 2009performances with the Rays, but he's still fairly adept in the fieldand he has remained, at worst, league average with the bat. There'salso room for improvement given his peripherals — his line drive ratehas risen to its 2007-08 level and his contact rate is its highestsince 2004.

The Indians wouldn't have much interest in him as a designated hitter since Travis Hafner is in the midst of a good year at the dish, but Pena could form a fairly potent platoon with Matt LaPorta.Given the injuries to both Hafner and Sizemore, LaPorta could findhimself in the outfield quite a bit, opening up a spot at first basefor Pena.

If Sizemore is healthy but Hafner continues to miss time, one canslot in at DH. By acquiring Pena the Indians would fortify twoquestionable positions — LaPorta's ability to sustain this productionand Hafner's health — without committing anything for the future orsurrendering much in return.
I say no way.

Too expensive, Beltran is as big of an injury risk as anyone, and our biggest need is a right-handed bat.

Still, I kind of like the idea of Pena, but there is no chance. Putting LaPorta in a platoon is something the organization will not do anytime soon, and I would guess so is moving him back into the outfield.

We need to see Phelps and/or Chisenhall for awhile before trades are made, anyway.

Potential trade targets (from Fangraphs):
PLAYER: Carlos Beltran
TEAM: Mets
POSSIBLE DESTINATION: Indians
CONTRACT STATUS: $18.5M, Walk year
PROJECTED WAR: 1.4

One of the most attractive corner outfield options is also one ofthe most difficult to peg. For the Trade Target series, we're usingrest-of-season ZiPS to project players' offensive value, thenthree-year UZR to peg the defense. Of course the problem (well, one ofthem) in this case is that Beltran played just 145 games in the pasttwo seasons combined. His .274/.363/.514, .379 wOBA start to thisseason is roughly in line with his .380 wOBA 2008 campaign. But Beltranderived his massive 7.6 WAR that season from uncommon durability (161games) as well as defensive value that no longer applies (12.4 UZR anda Gold Glove playing center field then, vs. average to below-averagedefense playing a corner OF slot now).

Still, this rest-of-season WAR projection assumes Beltran missesabout a quarter of his remaining games, and that he doesn't leave CitiField. A move to, say, Cleveland would plop Beltran into a more favorable park for hitters. If Travis Hafner returns to the Indians lineup at 100%, and Grady Sizemorebecomes healthy enough to be a productive everyday center fielderagain, you won't see this kind of deal happen. But based on their trackrecord of the past few years, you can’t bet on both happening.

The key here — other than the health of Hafner and Sizemore — willbe money. Even with a fresh cash influx from new minority owner DavidEinhorn, the Mets probably wouldn't mind ditching the rest of Beltran's$18.5 million salary. If he were to be dealt fairly soon and Beltran'shealth holds up, a gain of 2 or more wins for the team that trades forhim is possible. As with many deadline trades in recent years, theBeltran-receiving team could ask the Mets pick up a significant chunkof Beltran's remaining salary in exchange for giving up a betterprospect (Beltran also has a no-trade clause in his contract which addsanother layer of complexity).

A team like the Indians, without a ton of cash to spend that alsoplaces great value on young talent, would have to find a middle groundbetween financial help and not mortgaging the farm. Still, flags flyforever, and the Tribe has a legitimate chance for some big things thisseason. Beltran could greatly help their cause.
PLAYER: Carlos Pena
TEAM
: Cubs
POSSIBLE DESTINATION(S)
: Indians
CONTRACT STATUS
: One-year, $10 million, FA in 2012
PROJECTED WAR
: 2.0

Pena is by no means having a season reminiscent of his 2007 to 2009performances with the Rays, but he's still fairly adept in the fieldand he has remained, at worst, league average with the bat. There'salso room for improvement given his peripherals — his line drive ratehas risen to its 2007-08 level and his contact rate is its highestsince 2004.

The Indians wouldn't have much interest in him as a designated hitter since Travis Hafner is in the midst of a good year at the dish, but Pena could form a fairly potent platoon with Matt LaPorta.Given the injuries to both Hafner and Sizemore, LaPorta could findhimself in the outfield quite a bit, opening up a spot at first basefor Pena.

If Sizemore is healthy but Hafner continues to miss time, one canslot in at DH. By acquiring Pena the Indians would fortify twoquestionable positions — LaPorta's ability to sustain this productionand Hafner's health — without committing anything for the future orsurrendering much in return.
I say no way.

Too expensive, Beltran is as big of an injury risk as anyone, and our biggest need is a right-handed bat.

Still, I kind of like the idea of Pena, but there is no chance. Putting LaPorta in a platoon is something the organization will not do anytime soon, and I would guess so is moving him back into the outfield.

We need to see Phelps and/or Chisenhall for awhile before trades are made, anyway.

I agree on Beltran. He would be a mistake IMO.

Pena would be a great addition.

You guys think we will make a move?

I agree on Beltran. He would be a mistake IMO.

Pena would be a great addition.

You guys think we will make a move?

It all depends on Phelps and Chisenhall to me.

If they get up here and produce, maybe they wait until winter to make a splash.

If they struggle early on, I see some kind of trade taking place. The injuries factor in, too.

The bottom line is, it is time to call up at least Phelps. I think Super Two status becomes a non-issue for him sometime this week, so...

Nice to see Grady finally get that first hit, and to see Santana get a hit anytime.
KLJ.....whats up with your boy Los?
Saw this today: http://twitter.com/MLBastian
MLBastian Santana has seenlowest % of strikes (53) in the American League. Directly behind him onthat list: Bautista, Teixeira, Abreu, Youkilis...

It all depends on Phelps and Chisenhall to me.

If they get up here and produce, maybe they wait until winter to make a splash.

If they struggle early on, I see some kind of trade taking place. The injuries factor in, too.

The bottom line is, it is time to call up at least Phelps. I think Super Two status becomes a non-issue for him sometime this week, so...

Nice to see Grady finally get that first hit, and to see Santana get a hit anytime.
KLJ.....whats up with your boy Los?
Saw this today: http://twitter.com/MLBastian
MLBastian Santana has seenlowest % of strikes (53) in the American League. Directly behind him onthat list: Bautista, Teixeira, Abreu, Youkilis...

There we go.

The five most important bats stepping up early on: Brantley, Asdrubal, Choo, Santana and Grady.

No blowup, Talbot.

There we go.

The five most important bats stepping up early on: Brantley, Asdrubal, Choo, Santana and Grady.

No blowup, Talbot.

Back
Top Bottom