Almost got scammed $8,200

Moheezy

formerly mizzoe33
So I am in the hunt for a car and I found this one deal that was too good tobe true. Here is the link: [url=http://wwwb.autotrader.ca/result/addetailinfo.aspx?make=Volkswagen&mdl=GTI&cty=OTTAWA&prv=Ontario&srcID=19&frnID=4969765]http://wwwb.autotrader.ca...cID=19&frnID=4969765[/url]

I told him I was interested and this is what he said:"Hi,

The vehicle is still available for sale, price as stated in the ad$8200.It's in perfect working order, no wear and tear, no scratches, it wasn'tinvolved in any accidents.I moved to the United Kingdom with my work but I leftthe vehicle at a shipping company in Thunder Bay, Ontario.All shipping costsand insurance during transportation are included in the price, I won apromotion(1 free shipping).You will also receive all necessary documents inorder to finalize the purchase.Email me back if you're interested and havefurther questions.

Thanks"

I am a first time buyer so I have him the benifit of the doubt. I went on andasked him more details on the car (e-testing, safety, VIN number etc..) andthen he tells me that it is certified and that he will contact ebay and makethe payment through them. that's when I though it got a bit fishy, like why nothave an ebay private listing in the first place. I still gave him the benifitof the doubt and continued talking to him only because I really wanted tobelieve this was true.

Right while we were continuing to exchange emails (and info), a friend of minesends me this:

"Look at this website: [URL]http://scam.com/showthread.php?p=1078567[/url]

Look at post #84 which is identical to the one you sent me:

Hi,

The vehicle is still available for sale, price as stated in the ad$2500.It's in perfect working order, no wear and tear, no scratches, it wasn'tinvolved in any accidents.I moved to the United Kingdom with my work but I leftthe vehicle at a shipping company in Thunder Bay, Ontario.All shipping costsand insurance during transportation are included in the price, I won apromotion(1 free shipping).You will also receive all necessary documents inorder to finalize the purchase.Email me back if you're interested and havefurther questions.

Thanks"

My reaction was
indifferent.gif
eek.gif
mad.gif
sick.gif
frown.gif
tired.gif
 oneafter the other. I can't believe I (almost) fell for a scam like that. I was soblinded by the deal that I didn't want to believe it was a scam. the Golf GTIwas the car I wanted ever since I was a kid.
People were telling me that it was too good to be true, but for a first timebuyer like myself, especially one who was never scammed, it maybe harder tofully grasp the fact that there are a lot of scammers out there. I would tellmyself that it wouldn't happen to me and always give the person the benefit ofthe doubt.

the friend that sent me that email got scammed $300 buying a cell phone onlineand we both agreed that you never really understand how often and easy it isfor people get scammed until it happens to you. I learned my lesson and I willalways be sceptical.

I now follow the golden rule "if it’s too good to be true, it probablyis".

I am sharing this story hoping that other buyers might benifit from my experience. Always be skeptical and always do your due diligence

Originally Posted by K Town Trash

in b4 marty zebra didnt read and megatron

shut up son i read.

anyways

you weren't gonna check the car out in person? it's hard to trust carfaxs even now because dudes are so shady.

I've been looking on ebay motors the past few weeks and some of the best deals are in cali or florida and it seems more logical to pay in cash in hand and drive the car home yourself
you minus whale fly out check it out and drive it back and make a trip out of it if you gonna drop money on a car online, that's just me though.

Yeah, when buying a car (Private owner) its meeting in person face to face or no deal.

That was the idea. It never said in the ad that the car was in another city. I live in Ottawa btw. I told him I would only pay once I see and test the car in person. He completely changed the topic and told me about the safety of the ebay paying option and how the transaction will only be completed once I approve. I would much rather pay cash as well.
If anybody tells you to pay through Western Union or similar services, know right away it's a scam.

Originally Posted by mizzoe33

So I am in the hunt for a car and I found this one deal that was too good tobe true. Here is the link: http://wwwb.autotrader.ca/result/ad...cty=OTTAWA&prv=Ontario&srcID=19&frnID=4969765http://wwwb.autotrader.ca...cID=19&frnID=4969765

The vehicle is still available for sale, price as stated in the ad$8200.It's in perfect working order, no wear and tear, no scratches, it wasn'tinvolved in any accidents.I moved to the United Kingdom with my work but I leftthe vehicle at a shipping company in Thunder Bay, Ontario.All shipping costsand insurance during transportation are included in the price, I won apromotion(1 free shipping).You will also receive all necessary documents inorder to finalize the purchase.Email me back if you're interested and havefurther questions.

Thanks"

I am a first time buyer so I have him the benifit of the doubt. I went on andasked him more details on the car (e-testing, safety, VIN number etc..) andthen he tells me that it is certified and that he will contact ebay and makethe payment through them. that's when I though it got a bit fishy, like why nothave an ebay private listing in the first place. I still gave him the benifitof the doubt and continued talking to him only because I really wanted tobelieve this was true.

Right while we were continuing to exchange emails (and info), a friend of minesends me this:

"Look at this website: http://scam.com/showthread.php?p=1078567http://scam.com/showthread.php?p=1078567

Hi,

The vehicle is still available for sale, price as stated in the ad$2500.It's in perfect working order, no wear and tear, no scratches, it wasn'tinvolved in any accidents.I moved to the United Kingdom with my work but I leftthe vehicle at a shipping company in Thunder Bay, Ontario.All shipping costsand insurance during transportation are included in the price, I won apromotion(1 free shipping).You will also receive all necessary documents inorder to finalize the purchase.Email me back if you're interested and havefurther questions.

Thanks"

My reaction was
indifferent.gif
eek.gif
mad.gif
sick.gif
frown.gif
tired.gif
 oneafter the other. I can't believe I (almost) fell for a scam like that. I was soblinded by the deal that I didn't want to believe it was a scam. the Golf GTIwas the car I wanted ever since I was a kid.
People were telling me that it was too good to be true, but for a first timebuyer like myself, especially one who was never scammed, it maybe harder tofully grasp the fact that there are a lot of scammers out there. I would tellmyself that it wouldn't happen to me and always give the person the benefit ofthe doubt.

the friend that sent me that email got scammed $300 buying a cell phone onlineand we both agreed that you never really understand how often and easy it isfor people get scammed until it happens to you. I learned my lesson and I willalways be sceptical.

I am sharing this story hoping that other buyers might benifit from my experience. Always be skeptical and always do your due diligence

the end

People stay trying to do this, had some chick try to get me on a car a while back too, when she lived FIFTEEN minutes away lmao

Originally Posted by StillIn729

Originally Posted by mizzoe33

So I am in the hunt for a car and I found this one deal that was too good tobe true. Here is the link: http://wwwb.autotrader.ca/result/ad...cty=OTTAWA&prv=Ontario&srcID=19&frnID=4969765http://wwwb.autotrader.ca...cID=19&frnID=4969765

Thanks"

"Look at this website: http://scam.com/showthread.php?p=1078567http://scam.com/showthread.php?p=1078567

Hi,

Thanks"

My reaction was
indifferent.gif
eek.gif
mad.gif
sick.gif
frown.gif
tired.gif

the end

laugh.gif
 I will keep that in mind.

Back
Top Bottom