Andre3000 Would Definitely Be A Legitimate Top 5 DOA Candidate If .................

He dropped a classic solo album that helped to change hip-hop.

Dre is definitely top 10 emcee easily but his impact as a solo artist is minimal up until recently. For me thats the only reason he's not mentioned withBiggie, Jay & Nas because the aforementioned artists all have classic solo lp's that will always be synonymous with hip-hop music. Not to discredit butits much easier to make a group album with another rapper you can work off of than to make a solo album where you have to continuously set the bar yourself andkeep the pace going... you basically work off your counterpart(s) strength when making group albums. Thats exactly why Meth has some of the illest verses on Wualbums but doesn't have the ability to consistantly do the same on his solo albums.

Its good that people are finally starting to realize Dre's greatness but let's not deminish the fact that he hasn't impacted hip-hop on a sololevel like many of the other great solo rappers he's starting to become mentioned with. Just my opinion i'd like to hear what others have to say.

I've been a fan of Outkast for as long as I can remember, but where in the hell did all this praising for Dre come from? %##! baffles me to be honest, Imean, I'm not saying the duo of Outkast isn't the greatest ever....Ask me, I consider that to be damn-near fact.

...But it seems as if in the last year, people has praised Dre as a God-MC of some sort. If someone could actually justify this claim from a rational point ofview. I could possibly see it that way. But right now, its just so sudden to me.

...I'm in no way saying that he isnt worthy of the claim. But it just seems to me that there are more 3000 nut huggers than ever...no offense. Personally,he's only began to outshine Big Boi in the past 5 or so years, and to classic 'Kast heads, you know exactly who was the real stand out Emcee in the90s, almost the face of the Dungeon Click. I will admit that he needs to fall back on the whole "Baby Momma" theme, but you know he's capable ofripping just as hard.

just started to outshine him the last 5 years?

I think Big Boi has just started to pass Dre with his flow. I think Big Boi is the best rapper out right now. Only problem is that he doesn't come out withstuff that often.

To me 3stax needs 1 classic solo album and preferably 2 great solo albums after that. I don't really make lists like that unless there important and topDOA will never be fact, so more than less its a moot point.
I've been a fan of Outkast for as long as I can remember, but where in the hell did all this praising for Dre come from? %##! baffles me to be honest, I mean, I'm not saying the duo of Outkast isn't the greatest ever....Ask me, I consider that to be damn-near fact.

I to have been a fan for the longest and the sudden d-ridin of Dre now boggles the mind cuz I personally think his older issh is better than whathe does now. The stuff he's doin now is impactful and warrants nut huggers cuz of what he spits about on certain songs; case in point his verse on Walk ItOut that was str8 disrespectful.

To answer your question it has to do with the diamond double disc album more importantly The Love Below, even tho it contained mostly singing and creative outthe box material its way different and almost not hip hop. So now its ok for mainstream fans to like Outkast and especially 3stax. Now strictly hip hop fanswill look at mainstream fans and say I've been up on Dre's music blah blah blah more elitist crap. So now out da blue Dre at times and by a good amountof ppl is being hailed as the greatest MC in hip hop and from a mainstream point of view only Lil Wayne is better than him. Sad times I say, sadtimes
smh.gif

We all know what it was in da 90s but they've gotten so much better as a group and individually that now I would say they are equal MCs but seeing thatthis is a 3stax thread I might get stonefaced for this statement

I think ppl are D'Ridin 3000 simply because he was on that sing-song ishhh for so long.

As good as TLB was ppl rather her the man spit rhymes. Now all of a sudden he's rapping again (somewhat). So que the hype machine.

What's funny is that Dre has kinda dumb-downed his style but is still killing tracks lyrically.

BenFranklinAve, you just summed up perfectly how I feel when people say that 3000 is aTop 5 DOA candidate. We all know or should know that Dre is a great emcee, very lryical and all, but to me he doesn't have that great solo album or atleast even on addition to that, 2 or 3 solid solo album efforts. I mean to me, it takes more than just a few dope verses every now and then, combined with acouple of "group" albums to get that Top 5 DOA mention. Even that title is a bit pointless to a certain extent, but we all know what is meant by theterm. Even if Dre realized a solo album, which I believe was mentioned here on the boards sometime during the summer, and if it didn't have a great impactbut was still regarded as a hip hop classic, I would be more in favor of 3000 being up there.

^Have you heard him rhyme? Dude's a beast and so far out there ahead of dudes he's literally bored and too far gone. Even if you hear his wordplay,punchlines, the way he rides a beat pause is unseen by a southern artist or anyone for that matter.

Dre doesn't need a solo album to cement his legacy. Couldn't hurt. But he doesn't NEED it.

I think ppl are D'Ridin 3000 simply because he was on that sing-song ishhh for so long.

co-sign...

im a huge outkast fan...but ive always felt Big Boi > 3000

i hope i aint the only one.

he came back on walk it out and the other things he's dropped a verse on...but thats normal dre..he's always been
pimp.gif
. people are just waking up now cuz he been on that TLB stuff.

but at the end of the day i prefer BB

Man it's OUTKAST not Dre not Daddy Fat Sacks....OUTKAST. When will people get that through you head. When Dre was on the "Sing Song" ish itproves that he grew the most out of any Rap artist ever. He made a point that he makes music and Kast has always done that. That's the problem people tryand pin hole them they are good outside of there specific Genre. For the record Both of them as a team come harder on their albums then any single person evercould, and yes they are political yes they are fun, yes they are Gangsta, you name it Kast does it.

dude needs to go back to his ATLiens/ Aquemini days. Dude was on The Love Below soundin like a southern Frank Sinatra.

was just bumpin Idlewild...

Big Boi :

back when i was freshman, i learned a valuable lesson/
a ho gon' be a ho, it dont matter about you stressin'/
the only thing you do is tap that throat and wear protection
and only when she spit it out, thats when ya feel rejection/
pimp.gif

dont even get me started on what Big Boi did to "And I Love You"

Big Boi and 3 Stacks both make each other what they are. I mean Dre always spit some ridiculous type lyrics, but people are just now really taking notice tojust him because of the solo songs. Before, Big Boi's flow was just as potent and sometimes even better than Dre's. So the group got all the praise,now 3stacks is still spitting fire and peeps wanna act as if he is god. Outkast been dropping dope rhymes for 13 years straight. What albums are peoplelistening too that they missed all the classic verses BOTH Dre and Big Boi were spiiting?

apart from the fact that the dude is easily a top 5 rapper DOA....

who really cares what his status is in hip hop, when he is considered one of the biggest creative geniuses in all of modern music

there's no "if", dude is top 5.
there's definitely been an influx of "nut huggers" because of all the remixes he's killed in the last 18 months. a lot of ppl's firstexposure to Outkast, sadly, was Hey Ya (which is an amazing song from an amazing album, not trying to knock it). a lot of ppl thought Stankonia was their firstalbum. obviously i'm referring to more of the general public, but i've seen a lot of younger dudes hop on the Andre bandwagon lately because they werenever exposed to the SPCM, ATLiens or Aquemini Andre Benjamin, they only knew of the Love Below Andre.
another reason why ppl have been riding him so hard lately is because he's still performing at that high of alevel. 99.9% of artists, not just rappers, fall off. everybody assumed that he "fell off" when he dropped TLB, and then he smacked everyone upsidethe head with all those remixes proving that he was still as nice as anyone. in his 14 year career, he's never faltered. TLB might not have been your cupof tea, but it was highly acclaimed. everyone with the exception of Biggie has had missteps in their career.

he's always been one of the best to me. to fault him because he wasn't a solo artist is foolish IMO. he's been 1/2 of the greatest hip-hop duo everfor the last 14 years, has dropped at least 3 classics, has as many memorable verses as anyone and is as talented as anyone. Outkast has had so muchimpact on more than just hip-hop and they've constantly pushed the envelope and re-invented themselves along the way. they truly transcend hip-hop andthere are maybe a handful of artists who you can honestly say that about.

i'm not gonna get into the Andre >< Big Boi argument. they're one in the same. Outkast would not have been as great with either one, so i'lljust leave it at that.

Andre goes fed, but I still think Big Boi is a better rapper.

while a solo joint from 3000 would be nice, another outkast album with both of them rapping would be better...

plain and simple he wont ever reach that "god mc" statis simply because chooses not to. dude pops up every so often on a song and doesnt do mixtapes.

i wish he would though

Dre in my top 5? No
But dude is still a beast, I personally like big boi better though. But for me dre isn't fitting in my top 5 anytime soon..just not my style.

Originally Posted by RELISH

apart from the fact that the dude is easily a top 5 rapper DOA....

who really cares what his status is in hip hop, when he is considered one of the biggest creative geniuses in all of modern music

laugh.gif
..... wait what?

I've been a fan of Outkast for as long as I can remember, but where in the hell did all this praising for Dre come from? %##! baffles me to be honest
Co-sign. Wasn't till he came back from that Alternative hiatus did people jump on the Dre wagon. He's nice, but I think a lot of it isd-ridin to be honest. Back when it was the "real" Outkast, it wasn't "Dre killed it" it was "Outkast killed it" no matterwho spit what.

plain and simple he wont ever reach that "god mc" statis simply because chooses not to. dude pops up every so often on a song and doesnt do mixtapes.

Thats one of the things that baffles me about Outkast and Eminem. They obviously have the skill to be THE "greatest", but they aren't trying tobe. Thats part of what makes me appreciate them more than rappers who always say they are the best.

Back
Top Bottom