Antarctica ice melt appears unstoppable vol. per NASA

http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/12/us/nasa-antarctica-ice-melt/

(CNN) -- New research shows a major section of west Antarctica's ice sheet will completely melt in coming centuries and probably raise sea levels higher than previously predicted, revealing another impact from the world's changing climate.

According to a study released Monday, warm ocean currents and geographic peculiarities have helped kick off a chain reaction at the Amundsen Sea-area glaciers, melting them faster than previously realized and pushing them "past the point of no return," NASA glaciologist Eric Rignot told reporters.

The glacial retreat there "appears unstoppable," said Rignot, lead author of a joint NASA-University of California Irvine paper that used 40 years of satellite data and aircraft studies.

NASA says the region has enough ice to raise global sea levels by 4 feet. According to Rignot, conservative estimates indicate the complete melting of the Antarctic ice cited in the study could take several centuries.
Climate change: 10 countries most at risk Climate change: 10 countries most at risk

However, the melting could have an impact this century, according to Sridhar Anandakrishnan, a geosciences professor at Pennsylvania State University.

Sadly people won't care but your children will most likely have to deal with this in their life time

The United Nations' most recent climate change report estimated sea levels could rise from about 1 foot to 3 feet by 2100. Such a rise could displace tens of millions of people from coastal areas around the world.

people focused on theories and possibilities so much instead of preparing their anguses for the inevitable...

oh well its either adapt or die for future generations...

Wouldn't it rise at a very slow pace, slow enough to actually make sure nothing happens to people?

Wouldn't it rise at a very slow pace, slow enough to actually make sure nothing happens to people?
population displacement might be a gradual process but these cray storms that been hitting over the last few years could hit more because of warmer temps and increased fuel (water).

When Steven Hawking said years ago that it was probably too late to stop climate change I listened. I don't think there's anything we can do to stop it. We can only adapt and potentially mitigate the changes.

Time to bust out the Steve Urkels

steve-urkel-learns-how-to-walk-o.gif

will completely melt in coming centuries
We need to get on it...by it, I mean developing technology to preserve one's brain & personality post-death...and by one, I mean Ja Rule.

Our future drowning descendants needs Ja in the future to make sense of it all.

WHERE IS JA?!

population displacement might be a gradual process but these cray storms that been hitting over the last few years could hit more because of warmer temps and increased fuel (water).

The reason for the rise will effect everyone but indigenous people will be hurt the worst. They're already feeling it.

That makes sense, is there anything that can help stem the problem? I'm genuinely curious as to how this all works.
 The reason for the rise will effect everyone but indigenous people will be hurt the worst. They're already feeling it.
That **** sucks kuz they didn't industrialize n they're among the first to take the hit.

N**** aliens will be fugging us up before this s*** happens....
ya know, i used to think that "hostile extraterrestrial" theory too but i think us and them have very mutual interests, with the Earth being the biggest...

former Canadian Defense Minister Paul Hellyer confirmed that aliens are on Earth and if humans kept developing nuclear weapons, he thinks they would intervene since they use Earth too...

for some reason, I could see them intervening on some "stop the crazy melting ****" stuff as well...im sure they have just as much to loose as we do but than again, what do i know?

Back
Top Bottom