Any Blackberry heads out there? 8o

I didn't even know black berry still existed.
BlackBerries became hot when Jim Jones dropped "what's your BBM"

After about a year, everyone switched up to Iphone when Fabolous said "give you that iphone 4, facetime" in "You Be Killin em"

Crazy how rap has such a huge influence on the new hot device

After about a year, everyone switched up to Iphone when Fabolous said "give you that iphone 4, facetime" in "You Be Killin em"

Rap has literally zero influence on devices.

Says you, I bought my iPhone because i saw it in a Drake video :pimp:

I tried searching to see if we had a Blackberry thread but the last post was from 2014 so I figured I'd start this one... I'm working with the iPhone 5 and the battery life has become so bad that the phone is almost unusable. It's also sluggish as hell and I experience occasional crashes. It's to be expected since the phone is so old, but still :lol:. Anyway, rather than cop the iPhone 6 or 6+ only for them to reveal the 6s or 7 or whatever a few months later down the line, I thought I'd try out the Blackberry Classic in the interim. I'm on T-Mobile so I'd have to get an unlocked one, but they can still be had for relatively cheap (~$300).

Anybody have any opinions on it? Obviously it's not gonna be able to do what an iPhone can, but I used to love my Bolds (9700 :pimp:) back in the day. I primarily go on Twitter/Instagram/Fantasy Sports/NT - all things that can be done on the BB. Not sure if they have Instagram for BBs but I can live without it.

I kinda think I'm already set on buying one, but I just figured I'd see if I could get some real-life opinions first. Thanks in advance for any input.

I tried bringing them threads back when they dropped the Passport and Classic but the movement was dead. I tried both devices and ended up getting an iPhone 6 Plus to balance my life. I miss my Blackberries but they're not what they used to me. Maybe if I could get some native Instagram, Twitter, and GroupMe apps without using the ports I would be cool.

What? You don't pay enough attention to the culture to understand. Rap has always influenced technology.

Timeport P935/Page Writer - - self explanatory
Sidekick Original - - Jay-Z Excuse Me Miss Music Video
Nextel Phones - - self explanatory

I could go on for days. But technology and rap music work together to market to certain markets.

Got my Passport a few weeks ago.
Only had BlackBerry phones for the past 6 or 7 years.
Bold 9000 was cold blooded. Bold 9900 was a chill phone, with a nice professional look.
Z10 goes hard in the paint, but is too small.
The Passport is a good phone/computer combo.
I don't use a lot of apps, but I'm going to start using them more so I can really see what this phone has to offer.

I tried searching to see if we had a Blackberry thread but the last post was from 2014 so I figured I'd start this one... I'm working with the iPhone 5 and the battery life has become so bad that the phone is almost unusable. It's also sluggish as hell and I experience occasional crashes. It's to be expected since the phone is so old, but still :lol:. Anyway, rather than cop the iPhone 6 or 6+ only for them to reveal the 6s or 7 or whatever a few months later down the line, I thought I'd try out the Blackberry Classic in the interim. I'm on T-Mobile so I'd have to get an unlocked one, but they can still be had for relatively cheap (~$300).

Anybody have any opinions on it? Obviously it's not gonna be able to do what an iPhone can, but I used to love my Bolds (9700 :pimp:) back in the day. I primarily go on Twitter/Instagram/Fantasy Sports/NT - all things that can be done on the BB. Not sure if they have Instagram for BBs but I can live without it.

I kinda think I'm already set on buying one, but I just figured I'd see if I could get some real-life opinions first. Thanks in advance for any input.

I tried bringing them threads back when they dropped the Passport and Classic but the movement was dead. I tried both devices and ended up getting an iPhone 6 Plus to balance my life. I miss my Blackberries but they're not what they used to me. Maybe if I could get some native Instagram, Twitter, and GroupMe apps without using the ports I would be cool.
Yeah this sums it up for me. Phone is really good as a strict phone call/email/texting device with minimal web browsing and app usage. I'm still rocking with my Classic but can't wait for Apple to unveil their next iPhone iteration. I've found that I'm a little more sociable when I'm out since Twitter/Instagram/etc aren't as accessible on my phone, so I guess that's a plus :lol:.

Last edited:
Do BB's still do the battery too low for radio use thing? :x

About to pick up a Classic in a few weeks. Sick of IOS

Nah I can call/text/etc right up until the phone dies.

I felt the same way as you back in April, tired of iOS. But I'm itching to get back to it now. Don't get me wrong, the Classic is a good phone. If you can get a good deal on one I'd recommend trying it out if you used to be a BB head back in the day. But the lack of native Twitter and Instagram apps makes it a less than "fun" phone to use. The web browser isn't that good either. Desktop mode used to be the **** back in the day, but nowadays with so many sites using Flash some sites are completely inaccessible. And viewing web pages in mobile mode sucks too, because almost all mobile websites are rendered for the longer screens of Androids and iPhones.

Last edited:
^^ Damn its that bad huh? I'm trying to leave ios for basically the same reasons you did & I've always hated androids. Now idk what I'm gonna pick up :smh:

Yeah this sums it up for me. Phone is really good as a strict phone call/email/texting device with minimal web browsing and app usage. I'm still rocking with my Classic but can't wait for Apple to unveil their next iPhone iteration. I've found that I'm a little more sociable when I'm out since Twitter/Instagram/etc aren't as accessible on my phone, so I guess that's a plus :lol:.

Same here. I try to not even touch my phone when I'm out and about.

Z10 would spaz out like that but would come back on with 30% battery level.
Passport battery is 4 out 5 stars. But I don't use a lot of apps so that probably makes a difference in my battery life.

^^ Damn its that bad huh? I'm trying to leave ios for basically the same reasons you did & I've always hated androids. Now idk what I'm gonna pick up :smh:
I've seen rumors that the 6s or 7 or whatever they're gonna call it is gonna release in September-October. So if you can tough it out for a few more months it might be worth it to grab the new phone with the new OS. That's what I'm gonna do. New model or not, I'm gonna grab an iPhone in October :\.

As much as I miss having a physical keyboard, its just not practical to have one on a phone anymore. Today's screen sizes were just not made to accommodate a keyboard, even for smaller sized screens like the iPhone.

I was hoping that keyboard that Ryan Seacrest was developing for the iPhone would take off. Then Blackberry (RIM or whatever) sued him.

Sucks how Twitter and other social media companies have abandoned Blackberry..

Twitter should have a native app for the BB...So perfect with a keyboard.

Yep. Apparently there used to be a really good Twitter app called "Blaq" (or something similar), but alot of the reviews say it's a memory hog and sometimes doesn't work period. I could do without IG, just give me a good Twitter app and a good browser and I'll be happy.

Facebook and IG maybe, but anyone can make a Twitter app, the issue is nobody uses blackberries so its not even worth someones time to develop apps for it.

As much as I miss having a physical keyboard, its just not practical to have one on a phone anymore. Today's screen sizes were just not made to accommodate a keyboard, even for smaller sized screens like the iPhone.

Except I prefer the keyboard as it's far more accurate than all my friends who send indecipherable messages from their iPhones.

I remember typing texts with sentences including proper punctuation and all that jazz when I was rocking a BB. All that went out of the window when virtual key boards took over the game. A step back really.

Last edited:
I've been using a Classic for the last 3 months or so (typing this on it now). I've been a BlackBerry user for years but have had several iPhones too (which I liked). OS won't turn heads but it suits me fine and the apps are integrated quite nicely. If you're looking to crush candy, this isn't the phone for you. But if you hammer out emails and texts but need some extras along the way, it might be worth a look. What it comes down to for me is my preference for the keyboard. I send out anywhere from 75-100 emails/day and this is the perfect communication device (for me). Peace.

Back
Top Bottom