Any college students getting their masters/doctorate?

I have a few questions because I'm graduating with a B.S. degree in May and wanted to ask any current M.S./Ph.D. students a couple questions.

Thanks for your time.

I want to get a Masters in Financial Engineering. I'm currently a finance major with a math minor. Most MFE students were physics and math undergrads butI'm hoping years of trading in the financial markets and the goal of self-sufficiency (I've had one job prior to trading and I never want to work foranyone ever again) convinces some MFE program to let me in. If not, I'm gonna go for a Ph.D in Finance (or both since MFE's are only 18 month longprograms).

I know MFE's aren't common and you're probably not talking about this type of program when you say masters/doctorate but I saw that no one repliedand I decided to bump your thread. There are probably a lot of people looking into grad school to gain an edge in the difficult job market (or at least wastetime until it gets better) so hopefully this thread can supply some useful information.

Originally Posted by kicksfiend

I want to get a Masters in Financial Engineering. I'm currently a finance major with a math minor. Most MFE students were physics and math undergrads but I'm hoping years of trading in the financial markets and the goal of self-sufficiency (I've had one job prior to trading and I never want to work for anyone ever again) convinces some MFE program to let me in. If not, I'm gonna go for a Ph.D in Finance (or both since MFE's are only 18 month long programs).

I know MFE's aren't common and you're probably not talking about this type of program when you say masters/doctorate but I saw that no one replied and I decided to bump your thread. There are probably a lot of people looking into grad school to gain an edge in the difficult job market (or at least waste time until it gets better) so hopefully this thread can supply some useful information.
That is one of the primary reasons I am trying to get into Grad school - the difficult job market. As with you, I am also somewhat considering aPh.D as well. I'll have a B.S. in Computer Science and in Computer Engineering, with a minor in math as well. I've looked at a lot of jobs for mymajor that I would want, and roughly 90% require a masters degree, so that's another primary reason.

There are 2 big things most people think about upon graduating:
1) Should I enter grad school right after graduating with bachelors?
or
2) Should I work a little bit to gain experience, then go get a masters?

I know that defeats the purpose somewhat, since the job market fluctuates and you never know if you can find a job in the future pertaining to your major, soit would seem like the best idea to take a job offer if you have one already, but there are quite a few questions to be asked as well.

Originally Posted by Da XpLiCiT OnE

or
I went right into my Masters right after undergrad. I am happy I did because I was still into school mode and wanted to get it over and done withas soon as I can. It was a 2 year program and despite how crazy it was, it went by quickly. I also worked part-time during the last 2 years. One semester Iworked once a week, another semester I worked twice a week. I paid out of my pocket for tuition. I am also a good money saver so working once or twice a weekfor me was just fine to get by.

It is all up to you and what you feel is best for you in terms of waiting to do your Master studies or do it right after Bachelors. You just need to see yourcircumstances and see what best suits your needs at the moment.

I'm a Ph.D. student who went straight through although it was not my intention.

I went straight to my M.S. cause I was not happy with the job opportunities available when I was a few months away from undergrad, I also absolutely loved thestudy of it and looking around in any class that I was in, I thought I was a level above everyone else academically (not that I think I was smarter, but on theknowledge of the material). So I wanted to get some paper to prove it.

When I was getting my M.S. two of my professors at the time recommended I think about it. It sounded more and more like a better idea. I spoke with a coupleprofessors from my undergrad and a former Ph.D. student who had since graduated and was now a professor elsewhere. I basically ended up with 2 offers to fullyfund my Ph.D. at great schools without even applying. This is my first semester in the program so the job market was worse than it was when I graduatedundergrad in 2007. The choice was pretty clear. I didn't want to go for it right away but it was too good to pass up.

In my field (sport management) Ph.D. is a terminal degree. I can't go out and apply for jobs like normal people now cause I would be grossly overqualified.Not sure if that's true for your field, you should inquire about it though.

GL

Originally Posted by Hazeleyed Honey

Originally Posted by Da XpLiCiT OnE

or
I went right into my Masters right after undergrad. I am happy I did because I was still into school mode and wanted to get it over and done with as soon as I can. It was a 2 year program and despite how crazy it was, it went by quickly. I also worked part-time during the last 2 years. One semester I worked once a week, another semester I worked twice a week. I paid out of my pocket for tuition. I am also a good money saver so working once or twice a week for me was just fine to get by.

It is all up to you and what you feel is best for you in terms of waiting to do your Master studies or do it right after Bachelors. You just need to see your circumstances and see what best suits your needs at the moment.
laugh.gif

I'd hate to go out to lunch with you....counting up exactly what everyone ordered...

I'm currently working on my B.A. in Biology/Anthropology while studying for the D.A.T. I want to get into dental school immediately following graduationfrom undergrad studies. I'm already taking about 5 and a 1/2 years for my B.A. because I started in the wrong major and took a semester off.

There's not really too much experience I can get before entering dental school besides shadowing, internship, and even better an actual paying job. All ofwhich I welcome in heartbeat. I need that ASAP.

i am in my masters program right now. i will be graduating in may. then off to find a job......

Thanks. I have approx. 6 weeks to complete my GREs, apply for fin aid, and obtain 3 letters of rec, along with the actual application. It's going to be astressful 6 weeks but I'm hopeful I can get in! I just hope I'm prepared for the GRE

I want to do mine right after graduation. Question, if let's say I apply to NYU and don't get in, could I reapply a year later and get in or would Ihave to go to another grad school?

usually you can apply all you want. most schools would appreciate the dedication. just make sure you improve in that year.

Just sent in my first PhD application a few days ago, 5 more applications to go. If anyone is serious about grad school check out thegradcafe.com orcollegeconfidential.com. Good luck with those GRE, they were a pain.

if all goes well. the place I've been interning at pays for your graduate school.
so that's my plan

Back
Top Bottom