Any Golfers on NT?

Thanks again guys for the advice, had my first lesson the other day and already hooked. Just ordered a half set of irons with 4-PW,SW along with 3 wood, 5 wood, and 2 Hybrid.

Last edited:
Thanks again guys for the advice, had my first lesson the other day and already hooked. Just ordered a half set of irons with 4-PW,SW along with 3 wood, 5 wood, and 2 Hybrid.

I hope you didn't get blades but some sort of semi game-improvement irons, not super game improvements either because those could hinder your growth as a player when you're younger I feel. The 4i will be hard to hit straight initially so a 3h would have been smarter rather than a 2h. Depending on your swing speed and contact. Your 2h and 5w might be about the same difference where the gap between the 2 clubs doesn't warrant one of them.

I hope you didn't get blades but some sort of semi game-improvement irons, not super game improvements either because those could hinder your growth as a player when you're younger I feel. The 4i will be hard to hit straight initially so a 3h would have been smarter rather than a 2h. Depending on your swing speed and contact. Your 2h and 5w might be about the same difference where the gap between the 2 clubs doesn't warrant one of them.

Thanks. I followed your advice, I exchanged the 2 Hybrid and 5 Wood for the 3 Hybrid and 4 Hybrid.

What I picked up:
Callaway X2 Hot 3 Wood (15)
Callaway X2 Hot 3H (19)
Callaway X2 Hot 4H (22)
Nike VR-S Covert 2.0 Driver 10.5
Taylormade SLDR Irons 4-PW,SW
Tom Watson Player Grind Wedges AW/GW, SW, LW
Tour Edge Anser-style Putter

Should be set for a while, just need more lessons and practice.

Last edited:
Thanks. I followed your advice, I exchanged the 2 Hybrid and 5 Wood for the 3 Hybrid and 4 Hybrid.

What I picked up:
Callaway X2 Hot 3 Wood (15)
Callaway X2 Hot 3H (19)
Callaway X2 Hot 4H (22)
Nike VR-S Covert 2.0 Driver 10.5
Taylormade SLDR Irons 4-PW,SW
Tom Watson Player Grind Wedges AW/GW, SW, LW
Tour Edge Anser-style Putter

Should be set for a while, just need more lessons and practice.

Yea I think that'll be a better compliment to your game but I also don't know how good of a player you are. The best thing to do is to figure out the gaps in between your clubs when you do make solid contact. The hybrids should be okay but you have to take into consideration the loft angles of each club. If the hybrid and your 5i are the same then that's bad because they'll go similar distance. Problem as a whole is that club manufacturers say "newer and longer" with each year yet all they are doing is taking a 5i and giving you the loft of a 4i or even lower. So the current 9i is what an AW use to be, it's sickening because they become harder to hit. I'm sure that more people can reiterate what I said. Take a look at golfwrx.com for tips and just general knowledge. Like I mentioned a few posts back, it's sort of the niketalk of the golf community. A lot of elitists though.

Would love too see Rickie win this weekend. Tiger had a good first two days but can't put it together today.

Spieth :pimp: -6 tied for the lead going into his last hole today.

Hopefully Rickie gets hot today and gains a few on the course.

Edit - This is setting up to be an amazing Sunday. Day and Spieth in the final group. Kaymer might be able to strike. Let's get is Spieth :pimp:

Last edited:
I can't imagine going -20 in a tournament against the best players and one of the hardest courses in the world

Jason Day :smokin totally deserved it

Picked up some new clubs.

Been golfing on and off for the last 2-3 years. I had some sort of generic brand clubs from Spirts Authority.

The driver and putter broke somehow. Figured it was time to upgrade the whole set anyways now that I'm out of school and can go at least once a week.

Picked up "Like New" Callaway Xtreme (driver, woods, hybrid, irons) and an Odyssey White Ice Dart Putter for $350 shipped total :pimp: and to think I was gonna drop that dough on some sneakers I don't need :lol:

My main problem has been of course slicing. But I've improved it the last couple times I've played. I just have to practice at the range a lot over the next few weeks to stick it to memory.

Been slowing down my swing as well to try and gain accuracy. I know distance will come with technique.

Probably gonna hit a round of 9 at some point this weekend. I love going by myself since i can go at a pace that suits me.

Game coming back around but I was definently humbled on Sunday. Played at a private course 2 of my friends play at and they had their club championship this past weekend. Every green was super baked out and it was really windy to top it off. Think they were running at like a 13+ on the stimpmeter. Had one hole where I was 135 out and hit a pw 5 feet from the hole that was super high and backspin and that sucker bounced over 5 ft in the air and went off the back of the green OB. Also on a par 5 had 180 into a green from some rough and hit a perfect 6 iron that of course didn't hold. Figured that is what PGA tour greens are like. Ended up shooting a 95 :x

Feels almost unfair on that stuff, was driving the ball great but couldn't hold greens and my short game was garbage :rofl:

Consistently out drove my buddy though who is a 2 handicap, and I hit all but 3 fairways :pimp:

Last edited:
Callaway set I ordered came with a PW and a SW. There's like a 10 degree difference between the two :lol:

Think I'm going to invest in some wedges to bridge the gap. Demo'd some Vokeys last night along with a Mizuno, Nike, and Taylormade.

Loved the Vokeys. I'm not a good enough player to need the best of the best clubs but the Vokeys get very nice. Well balanced.

Think I'll hunt down a 50 and 52 to help bridge the gap and I should be fine

I'm not a great player by any stretch but here's my two cents since I've tried to play as many rounds as I could this year (8) versus like 2 last year:
1) Playing is just as important as a range. A range is static which obviously can help with mechanics but only so much
2) Strapped on time before your round? Absolutely do the practice green
3) I'm not great, but since I've normally shot 100's in years past, I'm finally breaking into the 90's consistently. Again, playing and trying to keep it as simple as possible (i.e. don't break down every element of your swing during a round or it'll drive you nuts) and focusing on my game around the green
4) As I note above, I'm not great, but who cares...I still rock the Vokey's and they're excellent clubs. Especially given the hodge-podge I had previously

I think I went with the 54 and 58

Callaway set I ordered came with a PW and a SW. There's like a 10 degree difference between the two :lol:

Think I'm going to invest in some wedges to bridge the gap. Demo'd some Vokeys last night along with a Mizuno, Nike, and Taylormade.

Loved the Vokeys. I'm not a good enough player to need the best of the best clubs but the Vokeys get very nice. Well balanced.

Think I'll hunt down a 50 and 52 to help bridge the gap and I should be fine
don't get both a 50 and 52, depending on the loft of your current SW, go with one or the other. If your SW is 54 get a 50 or if it's a 56 get a 52. As an amateur you don't have the ball striking or consistent swing to where a 2 degree difference in a wedge will be really meaningful

I go with PW, 50, 52, 56, 60

I love having lots of wedges :lol:

Probably will remove some and get a hybrid or two

I used to go with a 56, 60, and occasionally 64. I personally never used a gap wedge, mainly because I was able to control my distance between Pw, and SW so well. Usually using my Pw as my 145, and SW from 135-120, and then using the 60 for anything under.

don't get both a 50 and 52, depending on the loft of your current SW, go with one or the other. If your SW is 54 get a 50 or if it's a 56 get a 52. As an amateur you don't have the ball striking or consistent swing to where a 2 degree difference in a wedge will be really meaningful

Thanks homie, the advice is definitely appreciated :pimp:

My PW is 44 and SW is 54, I think a 50 will be perfect.

Trading in my Ping Eye 2s today. Definitely need a new bag. I'm going to see if I can grab a Vokey wedge as well. I love the way they feel

Anytime man. On another note haven't been playing much over the last 12-14 months, after playing in college needed a mental break for the game. I think I've played maybe 5 rounds since June 2014. Yesterday played Dubsdread at cog hill and shot 71. My best score since returning. Finally getting some confidence back

anyone have good chipping tips or good videos i should watch? i CANNOT chip when just off the green. i either hit it a foot or 50 feet.

anyone have good chipping tips or good videos i should watch? i CANNOT chip when just off the green. i either hit it a foot or 50 feet.
look up youtube channels like Mark Crossfield & MeAndMyGolf. 

i personally like the guys from Meandmygolf bc you get 2 perspectives. Mark Crossfield tends to ramble on about nonsense. 

I go with PW, 50, 52, 56, 60

I love having lots of wedges :lol:

Probably will remove some and get a hybrid or two

Wow. Yeah that is overkill for sure. Your irons have 4 degree gaps (usually) because you are taking full swings with them. Maybe there are little variations, but you can get away with one of maybe two wedges with enough practice.

I played a 52/58 and had my best short games season in awhile. Went back to 52/56/60 and my game went south. Sometimes it is better to not have options lol.

Just to bring this up though. That guy with the 44 deg PW is insane. That is how companies like TM advertise "more distance" they are straight up messing with lofts. My 9 iron is 44 deg and PW is 48. Also I think a lot of amatuers can do with only 3 wedges. Most can't get distances dialed as it is. So something like a PW, GW, then a 58 deg for sand/lob

Wow. Yeah that is overkill for sure. Your irons have 4 degree gaps (usually) because you are taking full swings with them. Maybe there are little variations, but you can get away with one of maybe two wedges with enough practice.

I played a 52/58 and had my best short games season in awhile. Went back to 52/56/60 and my game went south. Sometimes it is better to not have options lol.

Oh it's 100% overkill. Trust me I'm aware, just haven't rectified

Picked up some new clubs.

Been golfing on and off for the last 2-3 years. I had some sort of generic brand clubs from Spirts Authority.

The driver and putter broke somehow. Figured it was time to upgrade the whole set anyways now that I'm out of school and can go at least once a week.

Picked up "Like New" Callaway Xtreme (driver, woods, hybrid, irons) and an Odyssey White Ice Dart Putter for $350 shipped total :pimp: and to think I was gonna drop that dough on some sneakers I don't need :lol:

My main problem has been of course slicing. But I've improved it the last couple times I've played. I just have to practice at the range a lot over the next few weeks to stick it to memory.

Been slowing down my swing as well to try and gain accuracy. I know distance will come with technique.

Probably gonna hit a round of 9 at some point this weekend. I love going by myself since i can go at a pace that suits me.

more times then not a slice is fixed with grip change

Back
Top Bottom