Any Golfers on NT?

Jason Day 63 (course record) 9 under in the 1st round of The Players :pimp:
Day is showing tons of resiliency today with the two double bogeys on the front nine.

Matsuyama had himself a hell of a round given all the high scores in the third round. Pete Dye's course is turning into a nightmare for some in Day 3. Last I saw, Dufner was struggling badly, among others.

A lot of players complaining about the fast greens. Bold prediction: I want Jason Day to close and win, but Matsuyama rallies to make up the 4-stroke difference, to win his third and biggest PGA Tour event. Front-side of Round 4 will make all the difference, must put pressure on Day early with a couple birdies. When it's all said and done, he'll go down as the best Japanese golfer to date.

Anybody still on here regularly?

Played 18 the other day, 37 on the front, 53 on the back. Had four 7.0% IPAs, which is what I blame for the loss in form. Gamed my steel shafted 983k and averaged 245 off the tee, with pretty decent accuracy. Was 5/7 on the front for fairway hits. Long drive 291.

Then I played 9 the day after and decided to game an even older driver, Titleist 975D. Shot +4 on 9, 6/9 GIR and 4/7 fairways, and interestingly, averaged the same off the tee, 245, with a long drive of 295.

I feel way more confident at address with the smaller driver heads, 975D is 260cc and 983k is 365cc. I average a little longer with my primary driver, a Titleist 905R with a Diamana Whiteboard 73x.

Anyone else mess around with older drivers, or are you more into the latest and greatest? Performance wise, they all hit the ball just as far when you pure it, being all limited to the same COR, new faces just having much larger sweet spots and being way more forgiving on miss hits. Which begs the question - reward your ****** swings with more distance, or learn to actually hit the ball?

My stable of old drivers:
Titleist 905R 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard 73x
Titleist 983K 9.5 Aldila NV Green 65 S
Titleist 983K 9:5 Dynamic Gold X100 (steel, 43.5")
Titleist 975D 9.5 stock stiff, Aldila made
Cleveland Launcher 460 9.5 Aldila NV Green 65S
Nike SQ Tour 460 8.5 Diamana Blueboard 65s

Drivers I've bought and sold:
Taylormade R9 Superdeep
Nike VR Pro
Taylormade Burner
Callaway FT-5

Been toying with the idea of installing a modern shaft in the almost 20 year old 975D, if anything to buy tighter dispersion. Stupid idea?

Ive been playing a good bit this summer, finished grad school this week so plan is to play a lot more.

Some people are more comfortable with the smaller head of the older drivers, sounds like it is working out for you.

If you want to try some of the newer tech look for the Taylor Made SLDR mini or the Callaway Big Bertha Mini. They were popular about 2 years ago they were like a deep faced 3 wood with a longer shaft. Can probably find one cheap on globalgolf.com or ebay to tinker with.

Im debating getting fitted for a new driver for a "graduation" present. Thinking about the M2 or XR16. I need a mid to high launch shaft Matrix White Tie possibly. I have been hitting my Cobra Bio Cell pretty well.

I prefer the newer drivers for the ease of swapping out shafts without glue. Golf is such a mental confidence game, if the smaller drivers give you that i say keep using it.

What golf shoes are you guys wearing??? In the market and looking for something new... Heard the FJ DNA are nice

^hit up ross/burlington coat factory....$24.99 for tw15 and 19.99 for LC3...been happening for a good minute though so LC3s been dried up in most spots but I still see the tw15 here and there

What golf shoes are you guys wearing??? In the market and looking for something new... Heard the FJ DNA are nice
I've been wearing the FootJoy Freestyle during the Spring/Summer. They're pretty much running shoes with golf spikes on em. Very lightweight and breathable. During the Winter (and occasionally now) I wore the Adidas Tour360 Boost. Can't beat the comfort on those but they're not the most breathable shoes out there, and they're pretty pricey.

Last edited:
Does anybody know if golfsmith generally runs deals throughout the holiday weekend? I've been eyeing 916 ap1's and want to finally treat myself but want to wait and see if GS has anything to offer. It may be that even if they do have a promotion, titleist stuff is excluded. I have been checking eBay but I'm just way too skeptical. Anybody have any good websites to fall back on?

Does anybody know if golfsmith generally runs deals throughout the holiday weekend? I've been eyeing 916 ap1's and want to finally treat myself but want to wait and see if GS has anything to offer. It may be that even if they do have a promotion, titleist stuff is excluded. I have been checking eBay but I'm just way too skeptical. Anybody have any good websites to fall back on?

I've been looking there and rockbottomgolf.com for stuff. I just started playing maybe 3 or 4 months ago. I bought a cheap starter set at ***** just to see how I liked playing but now I'm looking to get better stuff.

Good luck trying to cop 716APs on discount from Golfsmith. They will never. Titleist and Ping are pretty much excluded from all sales from the majority of authorized retailers. Your best bet would be to go the eBay route or buy them used if you want a discount.
TW '14 wht/vlt for the dry/hot days.

Jordan 9 Retro for the wet/cold days.

High recommend both and they have the same free soles that are really comfy.

I have the 2015 DNAs in black collecting dust in my garage bc they're too big. I've read reviews of the cleats falling out but I've worn them for a season and all my cleats are intact. I think DSG has them on sale quite often for $99. 

Last edited:
Got adidas powerboost 2s this week. Most comfortable shoes ive owned. Can get them for less than $90.

916 Titleist wont get marked down til 918s come out.

Check globalgolf for a used set they rate the condition. Always had good experiences with them.

Sign up for golfwrx.com forums and browse the classified section. Bunch of club **** on there, plenty of good deals to be found.

forgot we had a golf thread. broke my foot this summer and was housebound for 8 weeks
tired.gif
I was losing my mind not being able to do anything (especially golf) been hitting the range the last couple weeks though and finally got out last week at my home course. played 27 holes haha shot 40-36-37

whats everyone playing?

my bag

Titleist 910 D3

Titleist 913h

Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW

Titleist Vokey SM4 54*

Cleveland CG12 60*

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

^ Titleist fanboys :smh:.

Nah :lol:, they do make really nice stuff. Nice bag.

I haven't swung a club in over two weeks. My game is about to be trash the next time I get out.

Last edited:
Titleist AP1 716 5-A
Cobra F6 Driver
Titleist 715 3H
Cleveland RTX 56 and 60
Odyssey #9

Last edited:
For me:

Mizuno MP-5 3-PW - Stiff Nippon NS 950GH
Tour Edge Exotics E8 Tour 12* 3W - X-Stiff Diamana S+ 70
Tour Edge Exotics E8 Beta 15* 3W - Stiff Aldila Rogue Silver 60
Nike Engage 50*, 56*, 60*
Nike Method 005

I have a love/hate relationship with drivers. In the hate stage right now so I'm using the E8 Tour 12* 3 wood as a driver replacement. Fairway finder and I hit laserbeams with it. Only lose about a club worth of distance to a driver. When I do play a driver, I switch between a Nike Vapor Flex with an X-Stiff Diamana S+ 70 and a Mizuno JPX 850 with a Stiff Motore Speeder Tour Spec. Also sometimes swap out the E8 Beta 15* 3W with a Nike Covert Tour 2.0 15* 3W with Stiff Kuro Kage depending on the course. The Nike plays more like a 5 wood for me.

Last edited:
Here's my bag:

Titleist 915D

Titleist 3W

Titleist 4H

Mizuno MP15

Cleveland 54* 60*

Scotty Cameron Futura XR

Been drooling over the new Mizuno JPX irons forged or tour models.

Also, the TaylorMade Spider LTD has peaked my interest ever since Dustin Johnson has been putting lights out. 

Back
Top Bottom