Any Golfers on NT?

Traded in my Superdeep and picked up a VR Tour with Project X 6.0....planning to go to the range in a little bit and mess around...played this morning and shot an 87 - missed a 4 footer that would have made 3 straight birdies.  Course was so short that you could drive drive some of the greens, pretty fun.  

Anyone have a suggestion on comfy shoes for walking a course? I don't play in the rain so I don't need like super waterproof ones. I need new shoes because my old ones just can't bare a whole 18 holes without pain. I'm indifferent about brand really. Only thing I hate are golf shoes with brown, beige, or any of those sorts of colors.

I walk 3-4 times a week in Footjoy eComforts, and the only time I started getting pain was when the insoles became so molded to my feet that the contours between the toes started causing calluses. They are very well made shoes though, my first pair lasted me from December 2009 until a couple months ago. I replaced the spikes several times, but that's to be expected. In terms of comfort, I never had any problems with Nike golf shoes, but in my experience they aren't very well made and will start to fall apart long before they actually should. On one pair I had the entire front half of the sole come unglued, and on another pair as I was I lacing them (speed laces), the eyelets ripped out.

In most cases, you get what you pay for when it comes to shoes. The eComforts only run around $60, and are incredibly long lasting, but in general, you will probably get more comfort and performance out of a higher dollar shoe.

I LOVE the VR Tour.  Project X 6.0.  I kept all of my drives in play with it, if it was a fairway miss it was only by a few feet.  Absolutely fantastic feel!
Has replaced my 905R in the bag for now.

Got new irons this week.

Titleist 712 AP1s, got fitted for them this time they are 2 degrees upright.

Hit them great in 1st round, glad i finally listened and got fitted makes a huge difference.

Originally Posted by fraij da 5 11

I guess I've OD'd on my ball buying... I have like 16 dozen new balls right now.
laugh.gif
Mostly Nike ONE Vapor Speeds... few dozen Pro V-1s... Like 6 dozen Nike Mojo's...

I gotta sell these mojos...
That happens to me also. I always buy in bulk then I get bored and want to try a new ball.

However, i find myself going back to the vapor speed a lot. It is a solid ball and very underrated IMO.

eealto - Where'd you buy your VR Tour from? How much?

Prostaffer - I agree about the Vapor Speeds... Great ball, straight off the tee and good bite around the greens.

I played 27 holes yesterday for $20
pimp.gif
early season rates ftw.

Took a quick vid of one of my drives... Went about 290 from an elevated tee. started out right and stayed right, about 10 feet into the 2nd cut.

Originally Posted by Prostaffer

I guess I've OD'd on my ball buying... I have like 16 dozen new balls right now.
laugh.gif
Mostly Nike ONE Vapor Speeds... few dozen Pro V-1s... Like 6 dozen Nike Mojo's...

I gotta sell these mojos...
That happens to me also. I always buy in bulk then I get bored and want to try a new ball.

However, i find myself going back to the vapor speed a lot. It is a solid ball and very underrated IMO.
Yea I played a Vapor Speed I found last summer and thought it was a pretty decent ball especially for the price.  I have to many z stars and trispeed tours in my closet but it is definitely a ball I would buy if I needed any.

I picked it up used at Golfsmith, I think it was tagged for $106 in very good shape.  Traded in my Superdeep...I see now that they are cheap on eBay still in the plastic, but I don't want to have 5 or 6 drivers sitting in my extra bag, and the Superdeep had to go.

I did see another 983K for $15.00, 10.5 that I was considering buying and sticking my Blueboard in, but 10.5 degree + Blueboard would be extremely high launching.  I still kind of want to do it, but it could be a pricy and failed experiment for the pull and installation.  If anything, I could imagine 10.5 + high launching shaft might play a little more forgiving, albeit with a lot less distance.

I've really been looking for a steal on an Alpha C830.2 to mate with a nice shaft. 

My father in law hunts for golf balls and resells them.... Makes quite a bit of cash for a leisure activity.... So I just head over there and grab what I need... Lots of e6's in the bag.

Prostaffer - I agree about the Vapor Speeds... Great ball, straight off the tee and good bite around the greens.

pimp.gif
early season rates ftw.

Took a quick vid of one of my drives... Went about 290 from an elevated tee. started out right and stayed right, about 10 feet into the 2nd cut.
Decent swing. Looks like you have a strong left grip. Weakening your left hand (turning it counter clockwise) will allow you to fire your right side through more efficiently. Too weak and yest a hook can come into play. That and you might want to bring your hands beneath your shoulders.

Sorry to turn into the guy that gives tips. I never give tips on the course, I swear!!!!!

patrick_conley_setup.jpg

vs. Tiger

idealsetup_driverwedge.jpg

is that hank haney tiger? i think sean foley tiger is significantly more athletic in his stance...

oh and on a side note.... my vrs driver is shafted up and ready to go... hopefully i'll get some practice time with it so i could green light it to torrey pines....

Originally Posted by Prostaffer

pimp.gif
early season rates ftw.

Decent swing. Looks like you have a strong left grip. Weakening your left hand (turning it counter clockwise) will allow you to fire your right side through more efficiently. Too weak and yest a hook can come into play. That and you might want to bring your hands beneath your shoulders.

Sorry to turn into the guy that gives tips. I never give tips on the course, I swear!!!!!

patrick_conley_setup.jpg

vs. Tiger

idealsetup_driverwedge.jpg
Don't worry about it... Believe me I need tips, especially when it comes to ball address.  I can tell that I do because even though I swing from where I stand in that video every time, its actually uncomfortable to me doing so... I reach out too far from the ball but I don't know how to swing from a position closer to it.  Id loveeeee to be able to be over the ball more and create that angle from the arms to the club in those pictures opposed to being almost a straight line from my shoulders all the way to the club head...

The only thing I can think of would be to have a stronger bend at the hips, but I'm sure there is more than just that.  How long does your driver play?  I have drivers that vary in playing length from 43.5 to 45.75 inches, and that definitely has an impact on stance and posture while addressing the ball.

I've been trying to consciously do that at address but I just know I'm doing other things wrong preventing me from being where I'm supposed to be.

My driver comes stock at 45.75"... I've considered butting it 1" to play 44.75 to give me more control but that probably wont happen.

Not sure if it will play the same or shorter by a little with the new AD Di6s I have coming for it this week though... Ill probably be selling the Matrix HD6 that came as the TP shaft.

I think you should consider trimming it...most tour players have playing lengths between 44 - 45 inches. I did my little 983k X100 experiment on that idea, and had that butt trimmed to 43.5 inches. The only problems that I have with that particular club is it seems to be a little bit draw biased, more so than when it had a graphite shaft. Playing an open face on drives usually gave me good results, but my bad misses were almost always OB left. For several rounds it was dead on accurate for me, but when things started getting out of whack I had to put it in the spare bag. In terms of distance, I could still put them out there 300 yards with a 100+ gram 43.5" shaft, so you shouldn't be concerned about distance. If it equals more control, it might be worth trying. If you're concerned about ruining your shaft, just find a cheap shaft like an NV green and experiment a little.

My current stable of drivers all play to different lengths.
983k x100 43.5"
905R WB 73x 45"
VR Tour PX6.0 45.75"
SQ Tour BB 63s 44.5"

I think I am going to pull the BB and throw it in a 10.5 983K for kicks, see what the results are.

Originally Posted by eaalto

I think you should consider trimming it...most tour players have playing lengths between 44 - 45 inches. I did my little 983k X100 experiment on that idea, and had that butt trimmed to 43.5 inches. The only problems that I have with that particular club is it seems to be a little bit draw biased, more so than when it had a graphite shaft. Playing an open face on drives usually gave me good results, but my bad misses were almost always OB left. For several rounds it was dead on accurate for me, but when things started getting out of whack I had to put it in the spare bag. In terms of distance, I could still put them out there 300 yards with a 100+ gram 43.5" shaft, so you shouldn't be concerned about distance. If it equals more control, it might be worth trying. If you're concerned about ruining your shaft, just find a cheap shaft like an NV green and experiment a little.

983k x100 43.5"
905R WB 73x 45"
VR Tour PX6.0 45.75"
SQ Tour BB 63s 44.5"

I think I am going to pull the BB and throw it in a 10.5 983K for kicks, see what the results are.
Yeah I might try some things... I have to figure out the correct posture for standing over the ball more too... Watching that best ball tourney yesterday on golf channel, they all created that angle from the arms to the shaft of the club, much more vertical from the shoulder down to the elbows.

From where I stand currently, so far from the ball I think its impossible for me to take an inside-out swing.

Hoping the AD Di6 that I have coming this week plays a little bit shorter than the RBZ TP shaft.

983k x100 43.5"
905R WB 73x 45"
VR Tour PX6.0 45.75"
SQ Tour BB 63s 44.5"

Yeah I might try some things... I have to figure out the correct posture for standing over the ball more too... Watching that best ball tourney yesterday on golf channel, they all created that angle from the arms to the shaft of the club, much more vertical from the shoulder down to the elbows.

From where I stand currently, so far from the ball I think its impossible for me to take an inside-out swing.

Hoping the AD Di6 that I have coming this week plays a little bit shorter than the RBZ TP shaft.
all the ad di-6's coming from the nike str8 fits are tipped half an inch and are playing stiffer to flex. also, the prep area for the str8 fit is longer than the r9/r11/rbz tips. as a result, if you pull and install into the fct tip, you will have some prep area still showing.

So went to get the blueboard installed in the 983k, but forgot to account for the fact that the SQ Tour it was installed in is not bore through, and it had already been trimmed to play 45", so having it installed in the 983k would result in a playing length of 43" or so. Combine that with the fact that the bore through probably adds a significant amount more stiffness to the club, it just didn't make sense to spend the money.

However, I did find a great condition 983k with a very clean face for $30. Not a bad find.

Originally Posted by k0betw0

983k x100 43.5"
905R WB 73x 45"
VR Tour PX6.0 45.75"
SQ Tour BB 63s 44.5"

all the ad di-6's coming from the nike str8 fits are tipped half an inch and are playing stiffer to flex. also, the prep area for the str8 fit is longer than the r9/r11/rbz tips. as a result, if you pull and install into the fct tip, you will have some prep area still showing.

You know too much about this stuff.
laugh.gif
  Thanks for the heads up... Although the one I got wasn't one of the Nike pulls... Got it from WRX BST and it was put together by Will Peoples... Paid $170 shipped with the R11 metal tour 1.5* adapter...

And eaalto, I looked back and this should play at 44.75" in my RBZ Tour head... Likely just going to sell my Matrix HD6s once this comes.

mail

Hopefully the shorter length will help with your posture.  If I remember, you said your usual ball flight is a fade?  And you used to fight a slice?

The VR Tour PX 6.0 is the first driver I've hit at that length that actually felt good to swing.  I tried hitting a 907D1 at 46" with a Aldila Proto shaft, and it felt awful in my hands.

When I get a chance I'm going to play around with the 983K I just picked up, and see how it plays with the NV vs. the YS-6 that was in my other one.

Hopefully the shorter length will help with your posture.  If I remember, you said your usual ball flight is a fade?  And you used to fight a slice?
I've done some self correcting including a much stronger left grip that for the most part has taken the 90* angle slice away... My ball still fades some on good hits. Hoping to turn it into a draw this year... I plan on getting a couple lessons to iron out good ball address and better swingpath/tempo.

What ball flight do you have with your irons?  I never slice with my irons.  If I slice, it's a shank, and if I shanked my shot, it's because I got lazy with my swing.  I feel when it happens, and it pisses me off to no end.  If I'm making perfect contact with my irons, my ball flight is a slight draw.  On miss hits, I end up off target left.  If I am missing left, I correct my aim right, and every so often I make perfect contact when doing that and carry right (but not a slice).  I cannot tell you the last time I hit a slice with an iron.  
All of that has to do with the time I spent working on ridding my driver of the slice that kept me from using it for so long.  I could be wrong, but I've always understood the main contributor to why some people draw and why some people slice - is their swing path.  I know some of it has to do with club face angle at impact, but generally an out to in swing path will create a slice, and an in to out swing path will create a draw.  There are certain foot alignments you can use to play a draw, a hook, a cut, a fade, but if your feet are square and you are swinging at the ball and constantly slice - it likely has a lot to do with how you are bringing the club through the ball.  What I practiced was to keep my left arm straight, and tuck my right arm against my body, almost like if you envision trying to hold something between your arm and the side of your body.  This helps me exaggerate a good shoulder and hip turn, and then as I bring the club head through the ball, it almost ensures that I am drawing an arrow that looks like it curves from left and straightens out.  

With the off season, I lost a lot of my driving consistency.  Coupled with trying out a couple different clubs, I kind of fell off a little bit.  My 905R ended up back in the bag and I was hitting it really well, but the VR Tour bug bit and I decided to give that a try.  I did not have a single bad miss with that club, but I also wasn't even coming close to drawing the ball.  I had one absolute bomb that was just dead nut straight but otherwise all of the flights were fading.  Maybe I can attribute it to the open face, the longer shaft, ball position, I'm not sure.  As long I can repeat the same ball flight consistently, that's all that matters to me.

My steel shafted 983k is a draw machine, but that's because of the heel weighting.  I just got my graphite 983k regripped, so I'll probably play with that for a little bit tomorrow if the rain stays away.

Iron shots off the tee are straight as an arrow. I might close or open the face on accident though causing the ball to fly left or right but it doesn't pull the e-brake like my driver.

Speaking of irons... I'm about to mess around and buy a new set smh.

Back
Top Bottom