Any Golfers on NT?

So my driver came stock with a $300 shaft?
eek.gif

2aglrms.jpg

Originally Posted by DinanBMW

So my driver came stock with a $300 shaft?
eek.gif

2aglrms.jpg

dinan, what driver is it? different companies had matrix put the exclusively designed or made for in different locations... the matrix xcon 6 came stock on some callaway ft-i drivers. but if ur thinking of pulling the shaft and reselling it, ur not gonna get anywhere near 300 for it. more like 100-125 depending on how lucky you are.

Originally Posted by HWBurnz

Maybe I'm just a simpleton when it comes to golf, but I just don't see the point of a $300 shaft.  I know plenty of scratch golfers who play stock clubs.  I mean I totally understand how Tiger can try 7 different shafts with a driver, but it just seems pretty pointless to me if your not a pro.

i know plenty of low handicap players that play stock clubs as well. and it is and it isnt pointless to play expensive shafts / clubs. i would argue that probably up to 150 bucks, performance matters. but anything after that 150 price point, its about certain taste and feel.

here's the best analogy i could make that would fit the forum....

if you buy kobes, lebrons or jordans, theyre on the higher end of the basketball sneaker pricepoint. are they better then say your 40 dollar nikes that you can buy at kohls? sure. do they make you play the game better? maybe but not really. no shoe really makes you jump higher, run faster, shoot better. so why pay the high end price for a pair of kobes when you can just stop by walmart, grab some midtop shaq shoes and go play ball? its an aesthetic and preference with some marginally better performance. same holds true for golf clubs / golf shafts / golf balls. you can keep it simple in ANYTHING but you CHOOSE NOT TO. believe me, im definitely not anywhere near scratch and i can tell the difference between a $10, $50, $100, $150, $300, $500, and $1000 dollar shaft. if you play with them all long enough, you'll know almost immediately. does it make my game better? probably not. i know for fact, i can buy a brand new shaft that retails at $150 that plays 95% similar to my current driver shaft that retails at $500 brand new. then again, i didnt spend retail on my shaft so i dont really care. but i can tell you the difference between the 2 instantly if you asked me to.

at the end of the day, its all tastes and preferences. and ur right, that is the beauty of golf. then again, at the end of the game, the MOST important part of golf in my opinion is being comfortable and having peace of mind with the equipment you're using (its one of the reasons why for the first time ever, i havent changed a club in over a year).

Equipment CAN limit your game. By how much is questionable, but if you aren't fitted to the right clubs, you could be holding yourself back.

When I first started playing, I was 11 years old. My parents bought me a ladies 5 iron, 7 iron and putter from Fedco. I think the brand was Knight. I used white out to cover the pink and purple font. I shot a 59 on a par 27 my very first time out. I added random generic clubs, and I eventually got to the point that I could shoot bogey golf, using just a completely generic set of clubs, not matched, and without ever taking lessons.

Those clubs got stolen, replaced by a complete matched generic Wilson set ($250 for everything). My play never got any better.

I didn't start getting better at golf until I started seriously looking at higher end clubs. The only problem was that I was matching clubs from different makers, and I had a completely mixed bag of clubs with different shafts, different swing weights, and it was impossible to be truly consistent from hit to hit.

Now that I have a matched set of clubs, I don't need to worry about hitting shots fat, hitting shots thin, I have very consistent ball striking.

The best feeling irons I have EVER hit are forged blades. I'm not about the gimmicky cavity back designs with oversized heads and maximum forgiveness on mi****s. I don't want forgiveness when I hit the ball wrong, I want it to force me to concentrate harder on making pure contact so that I don't have mi****s.

My Wilson's were oversized, and my game never got better. My favorite club to hit out of my mixed bag was my R7 5 iron, but even with the purest contact it didn't feel good. Now that I'm playing forged Titleists, I get immediate feedback on mi****s. Mi****s feel terrible. Pure shots feel absolutely amazing. When you pure a 3-iron and it carries ~215 yards it is such an incredible feeling.

My first time out with my Titleists I shot 2 over (par 30, I took my woods out of the bag that day, 6/9 GIR, up and down to save par twice). I'm not saying I couldn't have done that with my Wilson's, but if anything players clubs certainly help inspire confidence at address, and confidence in your shots is a large part of the mental game of golf.

I wasn't trying to sell the shaft or anything, I was just surprised that it was worth that much. It's a TM R7 Limited btw. I absolutely love my driver, and I actually think the shaft has a lot to do with it. I used to have a regular 2008 burner, a Cobra L4V, and I've also used my brother's Nike Dymo, but I always hit my r7 at least 10 yards further. I've been dieing to try the R9, though.

Originally Posted by DinanBMW

I wasn't trying to sell the shaft or anything, I was just surprised that it was worth that much. It's a TM R7 Limited btw. I absolutely love my driver, and I actually think the shaft has a lot to do with it. I used to have a regular 2008 burner, a Cobra L4V, and I've also used my brother's Nike Dymo, but I always hit my r7 at least 10 yards further. I've been dieing to try the R9, though.

if its the r7 limited, does it have an xcon 5.5??? if it is, then sorry. it's a watered down version as well :/ sorry.... trust me, i'm not trying to sound like an equipment snob or anything (believe me, i've been called it numerous times on this board but it was never really the intention), but the golf equipment industry is crazy and i've been in the golf equipment rat race through and through for the past 4 years.

Originally Posted by eaalto

Equipment CAN limit your game. By how much is questionable, but if you aren't fitted to the right clubs, you could be holding yourself back.

When I first started playing, I was 11 years old. My parents bought me a ladies 5 iron, 7 iron and putter from Fedco. I think the brand was Knight. I used white out to cover the pink and purple font. I shot a 59 on a par 27 my very first time out. I added random generic clubs, and I eventually got to the point that I could shoot bogey golf, using just a completely generic set of clubs, not matched, and without ever taking lessons.

Those clubs got stolen, replaced by a complete matched generic Wilson set ($250 for everything). My play never got any better.

I didn't start getting better at golf until I started seriously looking at higher end clubs. The only problem was that I was matching clubs from different makers, and I had a completely mixed bag of clubs with different shafts, different swing weights, and it was impossible to be truly consistent from hit to hit.

Now that I have a matched set of clubs, I don't need to worry about hitting shots fat, hitting shots thin, I have very consistent ball striking.

The best feeling irons I have EVER hit are forged blades. I'm not about the gimmicky cavity back designs with oversized heads and maximum forgiveness on mi****s. I don't want forgiveness when I hit the ball wrong, I want it to force me to concentrate harder on making pure contact so that I don't have mi****s.

My Wilson's were oversized, and my game never got better. My favorite club to hit out of my mixed bag was my R7 5 iron, but even with the purest contact it didn't feel good. Now that I'm playing forged Titleists, I get immediate feedback on mi****s. Mi****s feel terrible. Pure shots feel absolutely amazing. When you pure a 3-iron and it carries ~215 yards it is such an incredible feeling.

My first time out with my Titleists I shot 2 over (par 30, I took my woods out of the bag that day, 6/9 GIR, up and down to save par twice). I'm not saying I couldn't have done that with my Wilson's, but if anything players clubs certainly help inspire confidence at address, and confidence in your shots is a large part of the mental game of golf.
sorry dude. your first two sentences is correct but that's it.clubs CAN limit, but you better be fit properly because improperly fit clubs will ruin your game. titleist, cleveland, callaway, mizuno, nike, taylormade, adams ALL MAKE HIGH QUALITY CLUBS. the question is, what fits your game AND WHAT ARE YOU COMFORTABLE WITH.

i could say more but none of that would be productive and it would definitely be against the spirit of the game so just enjoy your sticks, go out there, be safe, be courteous to those around you and play the game with respect and dignity. i think over the years, everyone was so enamored by the dominance of tiger woods that they failed to realize that while he indeed is a great champion, they failed to see he became a bad name for golf. you want to see what the game of golf is all about? look at people like byron nelson, arnold palmer, and tom watson. classy dudes who i've learned to truly respect.

i want that diablo driver!!!!! anyone know which drivers are the best in the market right now? my friend broke mine by accident..

^ $%+$% has the like 08 Burner for like $129... popular driver at a good price.

And i called Cobra about that Matrix Ozik Shaft... They said the shaft on the S9-1 Pro D is going to be a not as stiff/strong as the aftermarket club and 65g instead of 68g.

Shady stuff
smh.gif

Originally Posted by lj12

i want that diablo driver!!!!! anyone know which drivers are the best in the market right now? my friend broke mine by accident..

Hearing realy good things about the Ping i15 and Callaway Diablo drivers. The 2 guys I know who are playing the R9 love it. Not the super-tri just the 460.

Originally Posted by fraij da 5 11

^ $%+$% has the like 08 Burner for like $129... popular driver at a good price.

And i called Cobra about that Matrix Ozik Shaft... They said the shaft on the S9-1 Pro D is going to be a not as stiff/strong as the aftermarket club and 65g instead of 68g.

Shady stuff
smh.gif

its not like its a garbage shaft or anything.
laugh.gif

thats just how all manufacturers do it now. only other option is to drop hundreds of dollars on aftermarket shafts.

Yea i know its still a better and newer shaft than im hitting now but im just saying its shady that they put the same name on 2 different products.

I just don't like how they're doing business.

Going out early tomorrow morning to play the Navy course on Coronado Island. Haven't played 18 in a while so it should be interesting.

Originally Posted by k0betw0

Maybe I'm just a simpleton when it comes to golf, but I just don't see the point of a $300 shaft.  I know plenty of scratch golfers who play stock clubs.  I mean I totally understand how Tiger can try 7 different shafts with a driver, but it just seems pretty pointless to me if your not a pro.

i know plenty of low handicap players that play stock clubs as well. and it is and it isnt pointless to play expensive shafts / clubs. i would argue that probably up to 150 bucks, performance matters. but anything after that 150 price point, its about certain taste and feel.

if you buy kobes, lebrons or jordans, theyre on the higher end of the basketball sneaker pricepoint. are they better then say your 40 dollar nikes that you can buy at kohls? sure. do they make you play the game better? maybe but not really. no shoe really makes you jump higher, run faster, shoot better. so why pay the high end price for a pair of kobes when you can just stop by walmart, grab some midtop shaq shoes and go play ball? its an aesthetic and preference with some marginally better performance. same holds true for golf clubs / golf shafts / golf balls. you can keep it simple in ANYTHING but you CHOOSE NOT TO. believe me, im definitely not anywhere near scratch and i can tell the difference between a $10, $50, $100, $150, $300, $500, and $1000 dollar shaft. if you play with them all long enough, you'll know almost immediately. does it make my game better? probably not. i know for fact, i can buy a brand new shaft that retails at $150 that plays 95% similar to my current driver shaft that retails at $500 brand new. then again, i didnt spend retail on my shaft so i dont really care. but i can tell you the difference between the 2 instantly if you asked me to.

at the end of the day, its all tastes and preferences. and ur right, that is the beauty of golf. then again, at the end of the game, the MOST important part of golf in my opinion is being comfortable and having peace of mind with the equipment you're using (its one of the reasons why for the first time ever, i havent changed a club in over a year).
Great analogy and your right, it holds true for all of golf equipment/products. 

You seem pretty knowledgeable about clubs so do you have any recommendations for irons?  I don't need super high game improvement irons, but I also don't want blades.  I'm thinking some kind of muscle backs or split cavity irons.  The 2 sets I have in mind now are the Callaway x-20s or the VR split cavity.  Although I'm starting to think I really should just go to the store and demo all the different sets to see what I like.  I bought my current set (slingshots) off ebay without hitting them and ended up loving them.  Or if anyone else has any input I'm all ears. 

Today is my last day of classes so after this week and finals next week I'll be golfing atleast 3 days a weeks
pimp.gif

Played in a scramble Saturday with my dad and won the long drive on a par 5 w/ about a 295yd drive, and won an odyssey white hot xg putter, tried it out yesterday and it is so smooth. Now need a good driver, cant play with a 3 and 5 wood alone off the tee much longer.

sick.gif
at my play today... Man I swear im getting worse with my current driver... i hope to god I can hit the new one straight...

Played HORRIBLY off the tee... bananas going right into the woods and onto adjacent fairways.

hit a 53 through 9.
smh.gif
Only good part of my game was my pitching wedge from around 100-120... landed 4 or 5 greens from that distance.

You seem pretty knowledgeable about clubs so do you have any recommendations for irons?  I don't need super high game improvement irons, but I also don't want blades.  I'm thinking some kind of muscle backs or split cavity irons.  The 2 sets I have in mind now are the Callaway x-20s or the VR split cavity.  Although I'm starting to think I really should just go to the store and demo all the different sets to see what I like.  I bought my current set (slingshots) off ebay without hitting them and ended up loving them.  Or if anyone else has any input I'm all ears. 

Today is my last day of classes so after this week and finals next week I'll be golfing atleast 3 days a weeks
pimp.gif
There's a huge difference between X-20s and the VRs, the two sets are not in the same category at all.  Take a look at AP2s, R7 TPs, X-Forged, MP-52s, MP-57s, X-20 Tours, or X-22 Tours.  The jump from a game improvement iron to a player's club is huge, so make sure the place you buy them from has a good policy regarding returns.  Also, be sure to check out a wide selection of shafts and flexes. 

Originally Posted by fraij da 5 11

sick.gif
at my play today... Man I swear im getting worse with my current driver... i hope to god I can hit the new one straight...

Played HORRIBLY off the tee... bananas going right into the woods and onto adjacent fairways.

hit a 53 through 9.
smh.gif
Only good part of my game was my pitching wedge from around 100-120... landed 4 or 5 greens from that distance.

I just got back from San Diego....shot a 46 going out, 50 back in for a 96 (+25).
The back nine was ridiculous - it plays along the ocean so it got really windy.  3 shots to get out of a sand trap with a nasty lip, and then I got stuck in really soft dirt on another hole with 3 strokes wasted <25 yards from the pin.  I three putted 3 greens, had one 1 putt to save par, and everything else was two putts (38 putts total).  Take away my short game errors and I would have shot bogey golf.

Only pulled out the driver once on a really wide fairway but only got a 190 yard slice into the rough.  2nd shot with my 3 wood went 245.  I teed off with the 3 wood or 3 iron the rest of the day and save for one slice, it was good for straight down the middle ~250 yards every time.

I think I'm going to retire the driver from my bag and just play smart with the 3 wood for the mean time, and that allows me to add my 60 degree back in.

Originally Posted by DEMONBOI15

pimp.gif
There's a huge difference between X-20s and the VRs, the two sets are not in the same category at all.  Take a look at AP2s, R7 TPs, X-Forged, MP-52s, MP-57s, X-20 Tours, or X-22 Tours.  The jump from a game improvement iron to a player's club is huge, so make sure the place you buy them from has a good policy regarding returns.  Also, be sure to check out a wide selection of shafts and flexes. 

My suggestion: take the VRs over the X-20s.  They will feel so much better.

pimp.gif

They will only feel better if you are a very consistent ball striker. What do the faces of your irons look like now? If you definitely want to move to a player's club I'd recommend you go with the R7 TP. They can be found cheap on eBay and some come with Project X shafts which are amazing.  They offer a great combination of forgiveness and playability that should meet your needs. 

pimp.gif

seriously my man. you need to step away from the talk of equipment. you really dont know what you're talking about.

to hwburnz: like demonboi said, you're really talking about 2 completely different genres of golf clubs. the vr tours are designed for a lower handicapped player whereas the x20 are designed more of a game improvement club. i'll be more then happy to give you club advise, but you're going to need to be a bit more specific in your needs. you mention the x20s which leads me to believe you're on a tight budget since x20s are generally on closeout for around 400 brand new whereas vr splits are around 700 brand new. that doesnt mean you can't get vr splits for around 400 brand new, but ur kind of looking in 2 different sections. so here's what i'll do for you. if you can answer a few questions for me, i'll be more then happy to give you several different choices.

what is your biggest strength of your game? short game? driver? iron striking? chipping?
what is your average 18 hole score?
how would you describe your misses with your irons? high? low? left? right? (btw, if you're left handed, you need to tell me as well)
what area of the country do you live in? <yes this matters a TON but most people dont even bother to think about this when it comes to irons>
what is your budget?
what brand of clubs are you looking at?
does the latest and greatest matter? or is budget more of a concern?
speaking of budget, what is your budget?
do you prefer a lighter club or a heavier club?
what are your expectations of your club? are they clubs that you will want to keep and learn to get better with? or do you plan on just buying new clubs once your scores start dropping?
what golf ball do you play?
how often do you play and practice?

those are a couple questions that if you can answer, i will happily help you with your equipment choices. best of luck man.

I don't see any fault in what I said.  The VR will feel better than the X-20.  Pretty simple.  I've hit pretty recent X series irons, and the feel was no where near as good as forged Mizuno or Titleist irons.   Players clubs feel better on pure hits than game improvement irons.  It doesn't take a golf club expert to determine that.    

I don't see any fault in what I said.  The VR will feel better than the X-20.  Pretty simple.  I've hit pretty recent X series irons, and the feel was no where near as good as forged Mizuno or Titleist irons.   Players clubs feel better on pure hits than game improvement irons.  It doesn't take a golf club expert to determine that.    

u dont even know the dudes game. i wont disagree with you, the vr splits feel infinitely better then the x20s on purely struck but you dont go on just an iron based on feel. if feel was the only qualification of irons, i would tell him to buy a set of miura giken blades (and if you REALLY knew your clubs you would know miura giken and miura aren't really the same thing). if he doesnt hit the center, the x20s may feel just the same as the vrs but perform infinitely better. who knows, you cant just make a brash statement (nor anyone else really for that matter) before you know anything about his game or swing. i apologize if i came off the wrong way, it just really peeves me when people give others information without any real knowledge. its one of the reasons why i dont give equipment info unless someone asks me and is sure as hell why i dont even listen to people who give me swing advice unsolicited. you may be trying to help him with good intention but you may actually be hurting his game. its really nothing personal, its just a pet peeve of mine. you spend enough time at a golfsmith or pro shop full of idiots and u develop a knee jerk reaction like mine
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Thanks for suggestions man.  Those R7 TP sound good cuz basically I'm looking for a combo of forgiveness and workability.  And I know there different sets but there just the two that I've looked at so far.

eealto, appreciate the input.  And you're probably right, the split cavity VR's would feel better, but I also know their miss hits probably wouldn't, hence why I'm a little skeptical about them.

k0betw0- I'll do my best to answer your questions.

what is your biggest strength of your game? short game? driver? iron striking? chipping?
-mostly driving and iron striking
what is your average 18 hole score?
-if I shoot higher than an 85 I had a bad round
howwould you describe your misses with your irons? high? low? left? right?(btw, if you're left handed, you need to tell me as well)
-I'm RH, and misses can go either way.. but mostly right because I forgot to factor in my fade, if they go left its cuz I turned my hands over and I know right away
what areaof the country do you live in? <yes this matters a TON but mostpeople dont even bother to think about this when it comes to irons>
-never would have guessed it mattered but I'm in NY
what is your budget?
-$300-600, although with ebay anything is possible
what brand of clubs are you looking at?
-brand doesn't matter too much, although I will admit I'm a little Nike biased (shocker right)
does the latest and greatest matter? or is budget more of a concern?
-latest and greatest does not matter at all
speaking of budget, what is your budget?
do you prefer a lighter club or a heavier club?
-I would say lighter, as a heavier club I might not trust and think I'll chunk... but then again, the more I use it, the more confident I will get.  When I bought my 52 degree wedge last year it was real heavy since I play graphite shafts now and it is steel.  Took me a couple of rounds to get used to it, but now the weight difference does not bother me
whatare your expectations of your club? are they clubs that you will wantto keep and learn to get better with? or do you plan on just buying newclubs once your scores start dropping?
-to be honest, I've never thought of my irons as being something that I could learn to be better with, but it makes total sense.  For now, I'm just looking to upgrade my Slingshots, and am looking for something that is semi-forgiving, but also has a better look at address.  I'm starting to not like the way the Slingshots sit behind the ball and on the ground, if that makes any sense.
what golf ball do you play?
-Right now I'm play the ProV, last year it was the Nike One Tour, but I didn't really like it.  The year before was the Nike One Platinum, which I loved.
how often do you play and practice?
-I play around 2-3 times a week, although it will be more now that I'm done with school.  I never practice, unless it's a little warm up before a round, unfortunately.  I just joined my local course so I'm hoping I will start practicing more.

Hope this helps, and I appreciate you even typing up those questions for me.  When I first started playing I was playing some Spalding set my parents got me, and after like 5-6 years I decided I needed more height on my iron shots.  So I went ahead and bought the Slingshots and have had them for the last 4 years or so.

Although after answering these questions and thinking about, I'm thinking maybe I should just stick a game improvement iron, since I care mostly about forgiveness.  I rarely HAVE to work the ball with my irons on the course I play, so workabilty is probably around a 3-4 on a scale of 10, while forgiveness is 6-7.

Back
Top Bottom