Any NTers been to Italy?

I'm taking a long overdue vacation and break from writing code 12 hours a day and heading to Italy. Starting on the Isle of Capri for four days then to Sorrento for two and then to Rome for another four.

First time in Italy so I'm doing the usual touristy things Pompeii, The Blue Grotto, Tiberius' castle, The Vatican, Colosseum, Sistine Chapel, the forum etc. I don't want to be the typical American D-bag so I've been trying to learn some of the basic language via Rosetta Stone.

Any NTers been to Italy and have any suggestions/tips about the locale, things to see, customs, things to watch out for etc? Any information would be helpful and appreciated. Thanks!

its very hot in Rome around this time, 4 days is good though, no more than that really. Id def prefer to be on the coast or the islands for the summer like most Italians. 

congrats my dude.

i've been there twice, once when i was 18 and then again at 22. the sites you listed are pretty chill. visit as many museums or galleris if you like art.

EAT GOOD FOOD YUMMMMM.

I know spanish so i got by with that. in Roma, a lot of ppl know english so u should be straight. beware the hills. walk, dont cab anything.

the italian women. isss niiiiiccce

For full disclosure, Italy was not my favorite country to visit but I spent a little over a week there on my honeymoon.

If you are staying in the touristy area city center, most of it is fairly walkable (if you dont mind walking). That was my primary mode of transportation, mostly because I just enjoy cruising around and looking at the city at a slow pace.

As far as learning Italian, I dont think that is really necessary. I know you dont want to be the American D-bag, but the truth is.... EVERYONE is. That is one of the reasons why I didn't particularly care that much for Rome. Its like friggin Disneyland man (atleast in city center). The tourist to local ratio is probably 1:1. Just about everyone speaks English since they cater so much to tourists.

My favorite part of the city was the Vatican, which I guess is technically not a part of the city. I think I enjoyed it more than my wife though because I was raised a Roman Catholic and also really enjoy history, and in particular the history of Christianity (was a former History major in college). Some of the stuff you see in the Vatican Museum is just amazing. I would highly recommend you take a tour to see the Vatican because it will give you some direction and insight into what exactly you are looking at. I booked a tour through this site http://www.romancandletours.com/ and it was great. I didnt want to take part in some massive tour group so this worked out just right. We had like 6-8 people total with 1 tour guide who was very knowlegable and friendly.

As far as the city itself, there is a good bit to see and do if you just like to wander around. I liked to cruise around the area of Trastevere (spelling) because it didnt seem quite as tourist packed as say the area around Piazza Navona or the Spanish Steps.

If you are a foodie... you might be SOL. I guess everyone has a different taste/palate/preference but I thought Roman food was just whatever. The food in Florence was a billion times better but maybe its just that I prefer Florentine cuisine over Roman.

Out of all those places, I can only speak about Rome.

As already stated, walk as much as possible to discover more of the city that you wont otherwise see.

I walked from the Vatican to the Colosseum to Roma Termini. Absolutely crazy day.

Wallet in front pocket.

Originally Posted by What up

Out of all those places, I can only speak about Rome.

As already stated, walk as much as possible to discover more of the city that you wont otherwise see.

I walked from the Vatican to the Colosseum to Roma Termini. Absolutely crazy day.

Wallet in front pocket.
damb... and i thought i walked a lot.

my hotel was near Circus Maximus and we went from there to Trastevere -> Vatican -> Piazza Del Popolo -> Trevi - > back to hotel in 1 day.

been to Italy: Rome, FLorence, Piza, Vatican, didn't make it to Venice. I speak spanish, we (girlfriend now my wife) spoke spanish there and tried to pick up some italian. They didn't see us as ugly americans because of that. Wallet in the front pocket or not at all is a must. Kids came up strong trying to pickpocket, especially around the colleseum. they didn't bother us too bad because when they approached, we were like saying don't even come close to us in spanish, and they went over to some adjacent toursts and proceeded to pickpocket. I remember just standing along a railing on a hill looking down on the area infront of the colleseum talking to an old italian dude watching the kids down below go from group to group pickpocketing, and he told us the kids like to target the asian tourists the most. this was over 10 years ago, don't know if its better now or worse. Beautiful country, I was loving the food there,. and its cool to see the rich history they have there. I would love to go back some day.

maybe it was just me, but i didnt think the pickpocketing was that big of a problem if at all. i was extra paranoid about it cause of all the stuff I had read and heard, but i was never hit nor did i see any of it actively going on. I guess thats the whole point though, they arent going to make it super obvious that they are jackin people?

Originally Posted by Mojodmonky1

maybe it was just me, but i didnt think the pickpocketing was that big of a problem if at all. i was extra paranoid about it cause of all the stuff I had read and heard, but i was never hit nor did i see any of it actively going on. I guess thats the whole point though, they arent going to make it super obvious that they are jackin people?
The pickpocketers will not only take your money, they will put your wallet back in your pocket. Yes, even in your front pocket. That's how good they are. It's not an issue though if you are careful.

Most of the tourist places will be full of tourists. This can't be avoided but it shouldn't take away from your enjoyment. Just try to mix it up by hitting up a few non-touristy spots on the trip.

Eat the food, drink the wine. It's hard to mess up with Italy.

In Rome, I visited the Vatican on the first day.  It was my absolute favorite part of the city.  I could have spent a whole lot more time there, but we went there directly off the plane on Saturday and wouldn't have another chance to go back since all tours are closed on Sundays for obvious reasons.  We then visited the "new city" on day two.  Most of that is renaissance architecture and more recent.  On the third we went to the "old city" on the third day.  It's mostly divided by the river, so you can try to divide your trip that way.  The Colosseo is a lot smaller than I anticipated but it's still cool to visit.

Since you'll be there for multiple days I highly recommend you get a Roma pass.  It'll give you access to all public transportation and museums in the city while you're there.  It should be around 25-30 euros.  DO NOT take cabs.  Plan to take the metro from the airport once you arrive.  There are plenty of cabs that will offer to take you to your hotel for 50 euros and will give you a tour of the city in the mean time.  AKA they'll meander from their rout and yell at ever driver along the way.

When you're in the Vatican, be sure to hide your camera when you're in the Sistine Chapel or else the guard will yell at you the whole time.  Be sure to visit the cupola of St. Peter's Basilica.  You'll be able to see the whole city from there.

If you want to save some money, find a hotel on the outskirts of the city and take the bus in.  You'll get to experience a little more of the "non-touristy" part of Italy in the mean time.

Also... Make sure not to tip your waiter.  They don't tip there and identify you at a naive tourist if you do.  You should also plan to take your time at meals.  Your check will come about 20 minutes after you have finished the meal and the preparation won't be particularly quick either.

It would be hilarious to put fake money in your wallets, pockets or even mexican pesos or something LOL

i wanna go on a vacation
mad.gif

Originally Posted by scshift

Is the food there as good as everyone says?

From what I had, the Italian food is definitely better here.  But maybe that's just because I didn't eat at the premium places.

You also need to bring plenty of euros.  A lot of places in Europe still don't take credit and you'll be hit with a foreign currency charge on them as well.

Really appreciate all the info people have posted in here. I'll be sure to drop back in with pics from the trip.

Back
Top Bottom